iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite 80's film discovery since joining the Rewind..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite 80's film discovery since joining the Rewind..
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are some of your new favorite 80's movies that you have discovered by suggestions from people on The Rewind?

-

One of mine is the movie "Modern Girls".. I actually missed it in the 80's, but through comments from postings by Rewinders like Cindy Mancini, Riptide, and Ronnie a few years back.. I just had to seeked it out. Now it is on my list of movies that I consider 80's awesome!

[ 19. October 2010, 12:45: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fire With Fire was pretty good and Nice Girls Don't Explode was great. Both were Rewind suggestions. I'm sure there are more, but those came to mind right away.

Thank you for making my movie watching more fun, Rewinders.

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of mine are off the back of you starting threads about them Valley. Streets of Fire, Less Than Zero and Just one of the guys and Valley Girl just cos I wanted to see why it was your fave. And Some Kind of Wonderful was Paul's doing [Razz]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Mire Mare's Howard the Duck jokes were responsible for me watching that. Thanks, I think haha
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second that Helen_S a lot of my recent dvd purchases have been on the back of Valley's recommendations (kudos!).. although I'd heard of Valley Girl over the years, I couldn't help but take the plunge and buy a region 1 dvd player, and buy Just one the guys, & valley girl .. not to miss out on the american only releases!! hehe

In terms of new discoveries via threads and recommendations: Streets of Fire, and Private School!!

And the ones I really wanna see but just can't get my hands on: Modern Girls and Rad!! My curiosity is through the roof on these!

Great thread by the way!

Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fire With Fire, Night Of The Comet and Night Of The Creeps are ones I've discovered from suggestions and reading on this site. There are tons more that are still on my list to see as soon as I can find a copy of them. I'm constantly checking on here for new suggestions!
Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have more Valley?

Willy/ Milly aka Something Special
Nice Girls Don't Explode (i've watched many times since!)

Two i've only heard about here over and over and finally saw this year.....

Rad and Joy of Sex....and I really liked them both.

There have been so many i've read about here and hunted down because I trust the people on here's suggestions!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...great question. Without you guys, I would have never seen - Hiding Out, Modern girls, My bodyguard, The Heavenly Kid, and recently Night of the Comet. I love each and every one of these and had never heard of them until the Rewind. Also, was re-introduced to The Monster Squad...I had forgot about this gem until visiting here....jarred my memory, remembered loving it as a kid....lovin it again....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spellbinder (1988):
 -

One of the regs on here recommended this movie to me and I almost immediately was able to find a VHS copy for a couple bucks. I had never seen it before that. I'd definetly say it was a good recommendation. Thank you=)

Streets of Fire (1984):

-

...Again, one I had never seen before reading up on it here. Kinda wondering how I let this one slip by.?.

They Live (1988):

-

...OK, I was already a fan of this movie before I became a member of the rewind...but hearing everyone else's love for this movie and learning that there are more fans of this great film than I realized just rekindled my love for it.

[ 20. October 2010, 02:05: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, too many to mention.

And i don´t want to say any names because
I´m forever grateful to this site and ALL the people here.
May the 80s be with you.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
Spellbinder (1988):
 -

One of the regs on here recommended this movie to me and I almost immediately was able to find a VHS copy for a couple bucks. I had never seen it before that. I'd definetly say it was a good recommendation. Thank you=)

That would be me.... you're welcome. This is a gem of thriller/suspense flick and one of my faves from the 80's.

There are so many movies that I have watched because of the rewind.... Night of the Creeps, Streets of Fire, Valley Girl, plus more! Thanks to everyone here.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's hard to say. Recently, I'd say Chopping Mall. I just looked through my 80s collection, which stands at right about 70-75 titles, and there isn't much in there that I didn't grow up watching.

On the other side of the coin...a movie I've seen mentioned on here that I watched recently and didn't like is Valley Girl. Absolutely couldn't stand it. Maybe it's because I came late to the party or because it's kind of a chick flick, I dunno.

Another one I watched after hearing so much about was Heathers. I didn't really care for that one either.

The thing about it is, I'm a comedy guy...and although there were a LOT of great comedies to come out of the 80s (some of the best in my opinion), there was a lot of crap too.

But this thread was about favorite discovery...um...guess I'll have to go with Chopping Mall.

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Booger.. you just torched my all-time fav movie.. strange how we each have different perspectives after watching movies. I do agree that mood, time, place, and preference can heavily influence the movie watching experience. It still mystifies me that one person can walk away saying something is the coolest ever and another person wants to use the movie for kindling.

I do believe that watching certain 80's flicks at an age similar to the cast.. example high school.. can heavily influence a deeper connection with a particular movie. I watched the majority of these movies between the age of 10 to 21, so that is probably why the 80's teen flicks are so high on my list of favs. It still doesn't totally explain why "Valley Girl" is on an untouchable flame resistant level for me, but that isn't something to try to explain on this thread.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry bout that Valley, lol. I figured with a username like that it would be probably your all time fave. Kinda like my username. Revenge of the Nerds may not be my all-time 80s favorite but it was a very influential film to me. I saw it during my formative years [Smile]

I love Weird Science. Now to some it may not be a very good movie. It's silly and dated but I still love it and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I watch it. I guess it's because it reminds me of being a kid.

Now all that being said, I do enjoy a good chick flick, lol. Dirty Dancing is one of the best 80s movies ever! In fact, in 2007 when Dirty Dancing was back in theaters for the 20th anniversary, I went to a screening. The audience was full of girls (not a bad thing) and everyone really enjoyed the movie. That's why I love attending retro screenings so much. You know going in that the audience will appreciate the movie and keep their trap shut, lol.

I guess I didn't care for the story in Valley Girl. Maybe it was Nic Cage's acting (I've never thought that he was much of an actor anyway.) I'm not even really saying it was a bad movie...it was one I just couldn't get into.

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a toughie. Most of the time when people on this site say "Wow, I've never even heard of that one" I find myself headbutting the desk in frustration, because to me most of the movies they refer to were video store staples throughout the 80's. Maybe I spent too much time in video stores in my youth?

Anyhoo... I can't recall offhand the movies that the site actually introduced me to, even though I know for a fact there are a few. Off the top of my head; 'Dance Party' was one I'd never heard of that was quite good.

quote:
It still doesn't totally explain why "Valley Girl" is on an untouchable flame resistant level for me, but that isn't something to try to explain on this thread.
Did you see it in the (10-21) golden years? Does it capture a particular point in your life? Sometimes these things don't make sense in a logical way, but a strong emotion can be created by different elements that make things 'feel' right.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chopping Mall
Night of the Comet

And like Oh my god guys, I like totally qeeked last night and watched Vally Girl for the first time! Loved it. I had seen parts of it before and knew I had to get to it some time soon before I was disowned from the rewind club [Wink]

I'd have to say my favorite though was Can't Buy Me Love! Man I love that movie and I don't know if I ever would have discovered it (I'd seen just a few scenes but never thought twice of watching it in full). Sure glad that I did.

Thanks guys and gals!

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night of the Creeps-and I have two high recommendations yet to watch-I promise I will soon and report back!

As for Nic Cage-to me he never lived up to his character in Valley Girl, in fact it took me years to figure out he wasn't that cool [Smile]

The rediscovery of FWF is what brought me to the Rewind-and I haven't left since [Smile]

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home