iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Halloween 4 was released right before Halloween in 1988 and was an instant classic. The producers of the Halloween franchise had decided to ditch the Michael Myers storyline for part 3 and go in a completely different direction, which turned out to be an awful idea. Nobody wanted to see a Halloween movie that didn't involve Michael Myers, so part 3 became a legendary flop (although it does have a cult following today). Part 4 in many ways was a return to the original movie's formula. They even used one of the original houses from part 1 in the movie poster, even though that movie is not featured in part 4 at all.

-

Part 4 takes place 10 years after the events of the first 2 Halloween movies. In that time, Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis' character) has been killed in a car accident along with her husband, leaving behind a daughter named Jamie. Jamie has been adopted by the Carruthers family, who have a teenage daughter named Rachel. All hell breaks loose when Michael Myers escapes the ambulance that is trying to transfer him to a new residential facility and ends up back in Haddonfield. Michael's mission is of course to find/kill Jamie, his last living relative. He completely shuts down the whole town of Haddonfield by destroying their power station (while killing someone of course) and ransacks their police station. Rachel and Jamie manage to fight him off though and by the end of the movie Michael is supposedly dead. But does his evil live on??? Watch part 5 and find out...

-

I've always liked this sequel better than the others because it is probably the most "80's" ish without being ultra-cheesy (like part 5), and the fact that the movie actually has a Halloween atmosphere. I love how the movie begins with shots of a deserted farm decorated for Halloween, resembling the eeriness of "Children of the Corn." Rachel is an awesome heroine because she is not only fighting for herself against Michael Myers, but also her foster sister, and she succeeds awesomely. Sasha Jenson from "Dazed and Confused" plays Rachel's two-timing boyfriend with an awesome mullet. When I was watching this today with a friend, who had never seen it before, he was surprised that this movie wasn't as bloody as some of the others. This movie, like the original, relies more on suspense than gore (it does have some good kills though).

-

About that ending...some people love it, some hate it. It leaves me more confused than anything else.

So, if you're going to watch any of the Halloween sequels this fall, make it part 4! I'm actually looking forward to watching the hot mess that is Halloween 5 though....

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i saw 4 years and years ago and loved it. never saw 5. my only question is:

who the hell is the guy with the cowboy boots at the end?!?!?!?!?(hopefully i'm thinking of the right movie)

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if they ever really revealed who that was, but for some reason I'm thinking it was Michael's doctor from the beginning of part 4??
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always liked Halloween 4.
You´re right, it has the Halloween atmosphere
and i also like the characters.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my favorite from all the Halloween movies.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the original and best, this is probably the best film in the series.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original "Halloween" is still my all time fav scary flick! I watch it almost every Halloween night..

Veronica.. I'm with you on "Halloween 3", I realize it has a cult following and if you separate it now from the other Halloween movies it might be considered decent. But I was beyond disappointed on the first viewing, I was told ahead of time to expect something different.. it was such a disappointment!!

On the other hand, Halloween 4 is a brilliant comeback and a true 80's classic.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica awesome write up! I haven't seen this in a long time and i'd just remembered Danielle Harris played Jamie........you've gotten me wanting to see it again [Big Grin]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'll be the first I guess [Razz] I liked this one when I was younger, but find it all a bit rubbish now.

Totally disagree on 3, I've loved it forever [Big Grin] I'm always changing my mind on which I like more, 1 or 3. I wished they'd carried on doing different things instead of all the Myers tripe that only really works for me in 1. And H20 is ok.

*Darts out thread*  -

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Helen, Halloween 3 has some cool stuff in it. Like Valley said, I really think they should have released it outside of the Halloween series and it probably would have done a little bit better. I love how they show a trailer for Halloween 1 playing on a TV in the background!
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Well I'll be the first I guess [Razz] I liked this one when I was younger, but find it all a bit rubbish now.

Totally disagree on 3, I've loved it forever [Big Grin] I'm always changing my mind on which I like more, 1 or 3. I wished they'd carried on doing different things instead of all the Myers tripe that only really works for me in 1. And H20 is ok.

*Darts out thread*  -

i feel the same way. i used to love part 4 and now i find it completely unwatchable. i loved the halloween franchise years back, and maybe it's me getting older.. but i can only watch parts 1 through 3. and like helen, i love part 3. i am just very glad that rob zombie's halloween remake brought a new light for me to the series.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] Someone agreed hehe

Love your new title [Big Grin]

Yeah I love how they put that on the TV in 3 as well Veronica [Smile]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helen and Ronnie obviously paid too much attention to the tv at the end of "Halloween 3".. I should have warned you about the brainwashing if you failed to look away! Sorry
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHUv2ooG38

[Eek!]

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked all the Halloween sequels, except for part 2. As for part 3, I loved it when I was a kid. I would go around singing that Silver Shamrock song for days (I've been known to do it as an adult too!).
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to watch the entire series each year. I even tolerate part 5. I have part 6, but as I'm looking at the DVD cover, I don't think I've ever watched it. I pretend H2O and Resurrection don't even exist.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
Kev, part 6 is pretty hokey and nonsensical most of the time, but it does have some good Halloween atmosphere and death scenes. If anything, it's worth watching to see a very young Paul Rudd in his first starring role.
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll definitely watch it this Halloween season Veronica....thanks for the heads up....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
The original "Halloween" is still my all time fav scary flick! I watch it almost every Halloween night..

Veronica.. I'm with you on "Halloween 3", I realize it has a cult following and if you separate it now from the other Halloween movies it might be considered decent. But I was beyond disappointed on the first viewing, I was told ahead of time to expect something different.. it was such a disappointment!!

Valley

I'm the same as you Halloween night wouldn't be right without watching the original.The whole atmosphere is what you want Halloween to be like.

On the other hand, Halloween 4 is a brilliant comeback and a true 80's classic.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home