iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Looking for some advice on movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for some advice on movies
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking of buying/watching some movies that I have yet to see and was hoping I could get some advice as to if they are worth seeing and which ones I should look for first.

Rumble Fish
Eddie And The Cruisers
Foxes
The Hitcher
Night Shift
Thrashin

Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumble Fish is perfection to me, in my top 5 all time fave films. It really gets in my head.

The Hitcher is good, worth watching.

Welcome to the boards [Smile]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All are good, likeable films in each their own idiosyncratic way. Rumble Fish can best be described as an art film for teens. It has a unique look and the soundtrack by the Police's Stewart Copeland is outstanding, one of the best of the 80's. Eddie and Cruisers has an irresistable premise--supposedly dead rock star is actually alive and in hiding--and despite having some cheesiness indicative of the era, it's a fun film. It too has a fine soundtrack. Foxes is a very well-acted coming of age flick. The Hitcher is a now-classic horror film, one of the best of the decade. Night Shift: hilarious and see a star born here in Michael Keaton. Thrashin' is your time-capsule piece with skateboarding, breakdancing, fashion, and music. Enjoy!

[ 01. September 2010, 09:43: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash nailed it: All are good-essential.
I dare to say this although i haven´t seen Foxes, yet.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tiffany   Email Tiffany   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that they were all good movies worth watching but just wanted to hear what some of the experts had to say LOL I guess I'll be trying to get them all.
Posts: 74 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK, "Foxes" is good, though I think that I prefer "Little Darlings" on similar subject matter.

That's always part of the fun around here. Just when you think that you've seen everything from the 1980's, someone suggests something that has eluded you. (I have a couple of grailquests: "Love and Money" (1982) would be one.)

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night Shift is super-awesome. You're gonna thank yourself after watching that one.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
As Keaton says in "Night Shift," SA, "Is this a great country or what?" [Smile]
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash, I'm with you 100% - Keaton absolutely kills in that movie. [Smile]
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
SA, I think that you and I could go on and on about "Night Shfit," a movie that still makes me laugh hysterically after all these years. Keaton gives one of those performances that is so electrifying, he literally jumps off the screen, When I saw it in the theatre back in the day, I just knew that he was something special. Of course, over the years, he has made some very questionable choices but I think most people will agree that he's always giving it his all, even in projects unworthy of his talent like "First Daughter" or "Jack Frost." He's a Pittsburgh guy too! Cheers to the great talent that is Michael Keaton and Billy Blaze!
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't seen rumblefish, the hitcher, nor foxes but i definitely say yes to the rest....especially eddie & the cruisers but steer clear of eddie & the cruisers part II: eddie lives!
the first one is awesome and is one of my favorite movies with original music. [Smile]

i haven't seen night shift in forever. i really need to watch it again!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiffany.. I'm in agreement that all the movies you listed are quality flicks.

Hitcher is an awesome film and deserves more recognition from us. There is a shocking scene in the movie that turned it into a gruesome classic in my opinion.

"You wanna know what happens to an eyeball when it gets punctured? Do you got any idea how much blood jets out of a guy's neck when his throat's been slit?"

I personally love Thrashin' , but would totally recommend RAD over it. Still a great movie and if you're more of a boarder then it might appeal to you over the wickedly awesome BMX flick that I'm always chattering about on here.

"You mean to tell me that Mr. Studly is going to pass up a virgin ramp?"

Rumble Fish is in Helen's top 5.. wow.. maybe you should watch that movie first just because that is quite the bold statement!

"You know, if there were gangs around like in the old days, I'd be running things, not you. You'd be second lieutenant. You might have gotten by for a while on the Motorcycle Boy's rep, but you have to be smart to run things. You ain't got your brother's brains. It's nothing personal, Rusty James, but nobody would follow you into a fight because you'd get people killed - and nobody wants to be killed."

I also agree with Crash regarding Little Darlings over Foxes .. and though Foxes is a decent movie, it probably falls at the bottom of my list from your choices.

"Back in the heavy stoned days, when we used to stay up and talk a lot, Annie and me, we were talking about dying, how it feels and all. I said I'd never get buried. I couldn't stand them shoveling dirt in my face. Like, I know I'd be dead, but I still might have this strong compulsion to breathe, okay?"

Night Shift .. if you enjoy Michael Keaton at his hilarious best.. then you need to watch this hideen gem.

"I'm an idea man Chuck, I get ideas, sometimes I get so many ideas that I can't even fight them off!"

Eddie and the Cruisers .. I remember that my mom and dad loved it even more than me. btw, whatever happened to Eddie Wilson? Does anyone still chat with him?

"There were so many things I wanted say to him, so many things I wanted to ask. But, Eddie and I, we had a deal, we never talked about he future; we thought the present was so fine, why ruin it by planning ahead. But, as Eddie drove off, I knew, I knew it then, it wasn't going to be any future."

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only haven't seen Rumble Fish in the list.

Just watched Night Shift not long ago and I loved it all over again........Winkler and Keaton play well off each other and Keaton's taped memos to himself are hilarious!

I just saw Eddie and the Cruisers on tv not long ago....I never knew that song "On the Darkside" was from the movie I always thought it was Springsteen haha yes tease me if you will!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes and The Hitcher!!........C.Thomas Howell, Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh a cool thriller (I don't love it as much as Valley) it's good.........at least worth seeing. It spawned an awful remake not long ago.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
I will definitely check out Eddie and the Cruisers, The Hitcher, Night Shift and Rumble Fish for sure then. I would love to see RAD because I've heard so much about it as well as little Darlings but with them only being on VHS it's super hard to get my hands on a copy. Thats why I was thinking Thrashin and Foxes. RAD is definitely on my list of movies to aquire though!
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thrashin' is crucial dude. A 'must see'.
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
Ok, so I've decided to get two of the movies I've listed to start with. I think I've narrowed it down to Thrashin' and Rumble Fish or Eddie and the Cruisers.
Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Thrashin' all the way, look out for early red hot chili peppers!
Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie and the Cruisers is a favorite of mine. It really is a good movie...great soundtrack, too. The Hitcher was pretty good as well. As for Rumble Fish, I never got past the first few minutes...just wasn't my type of movie I guess.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok, so I've decided to get two of the movies I've listed to start with. I think I've narrowed it down to Thrashin' and Rumble Fish or Eddie and the Cruisers.
Whoa! Back up there, Tiff! Nightshift and something else is the way to go! It doesn't matter what the other movie is ('Foxes' is depressing, but then so is 'Rumble Fish' - both in a good way), but you should deffo start with Nightshift!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffany
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9077

Member Rated:
LOL, logan5 I had a last minute change of mind a opted for Nightshift after all. It's on it's way!
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phew! That was close! You now have a comedy along with something more dramatic. Some cake with your steak [Smile]
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home