iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Return of the Living Dead - Cult Classic (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Return of the Living Dead - Cult Classic
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUMP^^

Itching to get my hands on the UK blu-ray.

I ended up seeing the "More Brains" documentary and it's excellent!

Does anyone have any info on the music snippets that are supposedly restored on the new blu-ray release? I know the other dvd versions changed/took out some music in the background of the movie... such as the scenes where the zombie sends for more cops...and when Frank goes to kill himself...the "Burn The Flames" song is lowered and dropped off, where before the song plays throughout the scene, .. that was a bummer.
But are there any other music (song) switches other than the ones I mentioned? I feel like I've missed something?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Reminder of the extras on UK edition:

NEARLY 5 HOURS OF KILLER
BONUS FEATURES!!!

MORE BRAINS! A RETURN TO THE
LIVING DEAD the definitive 2 hour documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew as well as previously unseen behind-the-scenes footage, storyboards, conceptual art, publicity materials and archival documents

MORE BRAINS! 2 HOURS OF
BONUS FEATURES a conversation with Dan O' Bannon: The Final Interview. They Won't Stay Dead: A Look at Return of The Living Dead Part II. Love Beyond The Grave: A Look at Return of The Living Dead 3. Stacey Q Live: Exclusive 'Tonight' Music Video. Even More Brains: Deleted Documentary Interviews. Return of The Living Dead in 3 minutes. Resurrected Settings: The Filming Locations Today

THE ORIGINS OF RETURN OF THE
LIVING DEAD with John A. Russo

THE FX OF THE LIVING DEAD with Production Designer William Stout, FX Makeup Artists William Munns and Tony Gardner

PARTY TIME with Music Consultant Steve Pross and 45 Grave Singer Dinah Cancer

EXCLUSIVE ERNIE'S NOTEPAD a 20 page replica notebook by embalmer Ernie Kaltenbrunner, featuring production notes, casting information and exclusive artwork.

here's another view:

The dead have risen and they need more ‘BRAINS’! Dan O’Bannon’s cult splatterfest The Return Of The Living Dead is one of the definitive zombie movies and one of the classic horror films of the 80s.

Now this horror favourite is being released on 4 June 2012 courtesy of Second Sight as a special edition double DVD and makes its UK Blu-ray debut in a limited edition Steelbook, both with five hours of special features and also the much anticipated inclusion of the original soundtrack as well as the remixed version.

Blundering medical supplies warehouse workers Frank and his young trainee Freddy unwittingly set off a mysterious US military chemical that brings the dead back to life. And they’ve got a real hunger for human brains. Enlisting the help of a local crematorium, they
set off a chain of events that could lead to the end of civilisation. Can they defeat the growing army of ravenous zombies? ‘How do you kill something that’s already dead’ It’s not a bad question Bert.

Complete with a raucous rock soundtrack by the inimitable The Cramps, The Return Of The Living Dead is a zombie gorefest at its best.

Special features:
• MORE BRAINS! A RETURN TO THE LIVING DEAD
The definitive two-hour documentary featuring interviews with cast, writers, producers and many more, as well as previously unseen behind the scenes footage, storyboards, conceptual art, publicity materials and archival documents
• MORE BRAINS! TWO HOURS OF KILLER BONUS FEATURES
A conversation with Dan O’Bannon: The Final Interview
They Won’t Stay Dead: A Look at Return of The Living Dead Part 2
A Love Beyond The Grave: A Look at Return of The Living Dead 3
Stacey Q Live: Exclusive ‘Tonight’ music video
Even More Brains: Deleted documentary interview
Return of The Living Dead in three minutes
Resurrected Settings: The Filming Locations Today
• THE ORIGINS OF RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD – with John A. Russo
• THE FX OF THE LIVING DEAD – with production designer William Stout and FX make-up artists William Munns and Tony Gardner
• PARTY TIME – with music consultant Steve Pross and 45 Grave singer Dinah Cancer
• EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY STEELBOOK – ‘ERNIE’S NOTEPAD’ – 20-page
replica notebook by embalmer Ernie Kaltenbrunner, featuring production notes, carting information and exclusive artwork

Soundtrack information:
Blu-Ray
Original Soundtrack: PCM 2.0
Remixed Soundtrack PCM 2.0
Remixed Soundtrack: DTS 5.1 Digital Surround

An option to play the original soundtrack

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go Ronnie:

1.) 'Tarman' zombie has a deep, guttural voice that remains constant throughout the film.

2.) The "send more cops" zombie also had his voice lowered to accurately represent someone whose been dead for 100+ years.

3.) The film's score has also been altered. One song, "Dead Beat Dance," which played near the beginning of the film as we are introduced to the punk kids driving in Suicide's car, has been removed due to legal clearances. Sadly, this is not uncommon in Hollywood. Every time a movie is released on a new format, every song has to be cleared by it's respective copyright owners. The song which has replaced "Dead Beat Dance" is strangely uncredited.

4.) Frank's suicide – In the original, "Burn the Flames" played over the entire scene. The problem here was that the producers felt that Frank's death scream would be too "disturbing" for audiences, and ordered the song to be played loudly throughout. The thing is (as O'Bannon states on the commentary track), that "disturbing" is what he *liked* about that scene, and to drown out Frank's scream robbed it of it's impact. The song is still in that scene but is faded out as Frank gets into the crematorium.

5.) One other song, "Take a Walk" has been changed. This song was probably the biggest offender in terms of making the actor's dialogue very hard to hear (the producers amped up the music through the whole movie, regardless of it's affect on the performances.) Now, the song does not begin until after the punk kids run out of the UNEEDA warehouse.

6.) All of the other songs remain as they were without alteration.

7.) After Burt and the gang cut up the corpse at UNEEDA but before the bonesaw is brought out, listen to the corpse's body flopping on the floor in the background.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Val, thanks a bunch for all the info. Perfect. [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

I still want the UK Blu-ray... but I did go ahead and snag the "More Brains" DVD.

Totally an indepth look at "The Return of the Living Dead" with the all the backstories behind the making of the film. Very interesting stuff!

I wish more 80's movies would take this approach for fans. I still think Fred Dekker did it best with his blu-ray releases of "Night of the Creeps" and "The Monster Squad", but "More Brains" is right there as well. And my thought is the UK Blu-ray release with the option for the original soundtrack and all the extras including "More Brains" might be worth looking into a region free blu-ray player!

[ 25. June 2012, 18:02: Message edited by: Valley ]

Zigyma7ik
unregistered

22 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linnea Quigley. Smooth as a baby I can tell.
| Site Updates: 22 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home