iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Stepfather Trilogy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Stepfather Trilogy
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I recently viewed the remake of "The Stepfather" and it so would have been better if I'd never seen the original with the incredible performance by Terry O'Quinn. I watched the original back in the 80's and O'Quinn who I remembered as the college football recruiter from "All The Right Moves" was definitely not someone that young Mr. Stefen Djordjevic should have dissappointed..

The Stepfather (1987) - (Terry O'Quinn, Shelly Hack, Jill Schoelen)

Many people today also know Terry O'Quinn as John Locke from "Lost", but not all realize that some of his best work came much earlier in his career, as a psycho in "The Stepfather". O'Quinn proves he is a master at being very creepy and insane in this masterpiece of family life horror. When Jerry Blake's families don't live up to his wholesome, all-American family expectations, The Stepfather simply kills them. After he disposes of a family he is on to a new town, with a new name, a new job, and as soon as he can smooth talk his way in.. a new family. Jill Schoelen is awesome as the rebellious daughter that eventually becomes the stepfather's worst nemesis. I've been lucky to never have to deal with a stepfather, but if it ever happened.. this movie would always be in the back of my mind.

The Stepfather II (1989) - (Terry O'Quinn, Meg Foster, Jonathan Brandis, Caroline Williams, Mitchell Laurence)

Terry O'Quinn returns as The Stepfather in one of those rare sequels that measures up to the original. The secret? Terry O'Quinn is so over the top, you might actually start to think he really is psychotic. The story is essentially the same as the first, the only difference is, O'Quinn just escaped from the mental institution where he was being held after killing all the people in original "The Stepfather". O'Quinn obviously gets right down to business of starting a new family after his escape. His new wife to be is played by Meg Foster who could challenge Keith Gordon for the most crazy eyes of the 80's. The Stepfather's son to be is played by Jonathan Brandis who sadly could never escape the demons that haunted him in real life. (We miss you Jonathan!) People are always talking about good 'double features'.. Stepfather I and II should definitely be on this list.

The Stepfather III (1992) - (Robert Wightman, Priscilla Barnes, David Tom, Season Hubley)

No Terry O'Quinn and not from the 80's? Disaster! If you feel you must watch every film in a series once you start it.. then that is the only reason I would recommend watching Stepfather III. Be warned however, it is pretty weak in comparison to the first two movies. Robert Wightman is not a very convincing psycho at all, and the movie almost makes fun of itself even though the cover art leads one believe it is a serious horror flick.

Fans?

[ 05. July 2011, 07:43: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just talking about the step father movies last night with someone! Most people don't realize that the stepfather movie that came out last year is actually a remake. Valley, what did you think of the remake? I thought it was ok....nothing special.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the first two movies but haven´t watched them yet.
It sounds like a really good double feature Valley,
so i´ll try to check them out later this week.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the first two and the remake (which, um, I liked) but haven't seen the third. It's not available on DVD is it?
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i re-watched the first stepfather movie a few months ago. i'll have to remember to get part II.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the original Stepfather movie for the first time tonight and I thought it was an excellent thriller/horror movie. Great atmosphere, acting, suspense, character development, etc. It seemed very real, almost like watching a documentary. I thought the remake was decent, but now that I've seen the original, it seems like an episode of "The Hills," with it's SoCal locations and just the glossy look of it all. The original had a grittiness that made the story much more effective to me.

Looking forward to seeing part 2. Don't think I will bother with part 3 though....

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I watched The Stepfather movies last night.

The first one is a great horror thriller.
Creepy atmosphere and story. Terry O'Quinn was fantastic. He was born to do this role.
I really cared what would happen to the Schoelen/Hack characters and that´s a big plus.

I loved the score from ex-YES, ex-Moody Blues, progrock man Patrick Moraz.
Perfect horror movie stuff.

The sequel wasn´t quite as strong but it was still a good flick.
I didn´t feel so strong about what would happen to the Foster/Brandis family
and that Matty character played by Caroline Williams was so nosy that i almost was on O'Quinn´s side [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Recommended!

-

[ 29. February 2012, 09:20: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched "The Stepfather" remake awhile back and it stayed fairly true to the original.. but without Terry O'Quinn and Jill Schoelen it just can't compare. Kind of like new "The Karate Kid" .. good effort and it presents the story to a new generation.. but it is hard to overcome an already brilliant film from the past.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the remake a couple times too myself..It wasn't terrible. But I didn't put too much stock into it considering how much I really enjoy the original. You're too right Valley about Terry O'Quinn & Jill Schoelen. They're splendid in the original. I think I already mentioned that this was the movie that certified my ongoing infatuation with Jill. But O'Quinn is certainly not one to be overlooked in this either. And I think he did a fine job in the sequel too. Part 3??..lol..Let's not even bother with that one.

So overall, Yeah, 1 & 2 are well worth a viewing if you haven't seen and are any kind of a slasher fan at all.

Heck, I even still think the opening sequence in part 1 is one of the better opening scenes in any slasher flick in history..indeed very creepy. But very Good! But, don't take my word for it...you be the judge and check it out for yourself. [Cool]

THE STEPFATHER(1987) Opening Scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UsTuzcPU2I

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, I love the original "The Stepfather," for all the reasons that you've stated: O'Quinn is brilliant, the true personification of "normal-looking evil"; Schoelen is great; and that opening scene, well, Alfred Hitch couldn't have improved upon it. I would also add that Joseph Ruben, a fine director of interesting films, like "Sleeping with the Enemy," "Dreamscape," and "True Believer" did a nice job. And lest we forget the film's high pedigree of a story and screenplay by novelists Brian Garfield ("Death Wish") and Donald E. Westlake (many wonderful noir books, with his "The Hunter" made into the fantastic Lee Marvin film "Point Blank" (1967) and the less-than-fantastic "Payback" with Mel Gibson). You couldn't really fail with this line-up of talent--and they didn't. It's an extremely effective thriller, one of my favorites.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love the first 2 stepfather films but i can only vaguely remember bits of part 3,am i right in thinking (warning! potential spoilers) it opens with the stepfather having plastic surgery to conceal his indetity and he then goes on to murder the surgeon as so to keep his operation a secret,also at the finale does he get thrown into some kind of wood shredder?

from what i remember it wasn't a patch on parts 1 or 2, but that's not surprising really what with the absence of terry o'quinn plus notable supporting cast members such as jill schoelen,meg foster and the late jonathan brandis.
i'd go as far as saying terry o'quinn is to the character of jerry blake as to what anthony perkins is to the character of norman bates ,there is no substitute for them!
they truly fit there roles like a glove!

[ 05. April 2012, 10:22: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched these again not too long ago. Of course my original views on the original first film still have not changed. I still love it.

Part two was a little bit more enjoyable for me this time around than I remember from when I saw it the first time years ago.

And part 3?...LOL..whatever..

So yeah, my favs of this series happen to be in the order they were released..1, 2, 3...pretty easy huh?

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
loved the first two, never saw the third.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home