iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Aliens - a sequel that worked!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aliens - a sequel that worked!
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

If this thread doesn't get Ronnie to do a little more Rewind posting .. I'll be taking suggestions next! [Big Grin]

“Aliens” is James Cameron’s sequel to Ridley Scott’s original 1979 movie “Alien” which was a cerebral experience that attempted to scare us with atmosphere and paranoia. Well.. that creature popping out of that dude's stomach might have freaked me a little. On the flipside, “Aliens” is poised to thrill us with serious SciFi-action fireworks.

"Aliens" brings back Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), the only human survivor from the first film, who has been frozen in cryo sleep for the last half century or so. Awaken into a new world she is ill-prepared for, Ripley is informed that the alien planet where the alien creature that terrorized her commercial vessel (in the first film) has since been colonized by humans. Oh, and it just so happens that said colony has coincidently gone off the radar and the colonists are believe to be in trouble.

-

Ripley is asked to return to the alien planet as a guide to check up on the colonists. She is hesitant at first, but eventually agrees out of a need to resolve unfinished business. The bulk of the rescue crew consists of Marines, including Hicks the nice guy (Michael Biehn), Hudson the loudmouth (Bill Paxton), Vasquez the badtassh (Jenette Goldstein), Bishop the android (Lance Henriksen) and Gorman the inexperienced commander (William Hope).

When the crew lands on the planet it becomes apparent things have gone terribly wrong. In fact the colonists are either all dead or are being used in some horrible way by the aliens.

From this point on is when "Aliens" distinguishes itself as one of the best movies of the 80's!

-

Each time I watch "Aliens", I'm even more impressed by Jenette Goldstein's wicked performance as Vasquez. Bill Paxton was playing an extended version of Chet from "Weird Science" in this flick with some of his lines being beyond funny.

"Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but we just got our tasshes kicked pal!"

-

The action and special effects are center in "Aliens", but Cameron did an outstanding job with the backstory on Ripley as well as adding in Carrie Henn as Newt.

-

Outstanding sequel in my opinion..

[ 08. June 2012, 19:43: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kingcain   Author's Homepage   Email Kingcain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Aliens" becames one of the best SciFi movies of the 80's
You are totaly wrong on this.....

It is one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time. lol

King

Posts: 125 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I appreciate about what they did with this movie today that I didn't appreciate back then was the way in which they made the main hero a quite capable woman character. Back then, you would have assumed this would have been a role for a man, but the performance and story were so effortless that you couldn't picture anyone other than Ellen Ripley clicking into that bulk loader at the end to go fight the queen alien and save Newt.

Totally bad***!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, valley. very good review.

i agree with earl, about ripley.
i can say so much about this movie but in short, it's my favorite movie of all time.

it's one of those movies that i will watch everytime it's on cable, and know every word to. cheesy, i know but it's so true. and it's one of the first vhs tapes i ever owned. i got it for 10 bucks back in the 80s.
i have the 4 movie box set. the extras for ALIENS is out of sight!

and though ripley is one of my favorite characters ever...vasquez was also awesome as the other female bada**. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingcain
Master Rewinder
Member # 6644

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kingcain   Author's Homepage   Email Kingcain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not meaning to go off topic but what do you guys thing about the Alien predator crossover theme? I kind of like it. Gives it a fresh story/plot line to go.
Posts: 125 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingcain:
Not meaning to go off topic but what do you guys thing about the Alien predator crossover theme? I kind of like it. Gives it a fresh story/plot line to go.

I liked the idea but the movies haven't quite lived up the potential. The first AVP was OK and the old SNES game entertaining in its own right but they've worn out the franchise somewhat.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aliens is a modern classic, great from start to finish. And though I'm one of the few people who thought 'Alien: Ressurection' was very good, this is still the best of the lot.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingcain:

not really a fan but i love aliens and predator as two separate films.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Ronnie.. both are great franchises, but I never got into the versus movies.

btw Ronnie... can you believe that Vasquez is also Diamondback from "Near Dark"? I never connected thoses dots back in the 80's.

[ 06. July 2010, 12:44: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

oh come on valley! everyone knows that. and didn't you also know that john carpenter directed that one as well? [Big Grin]
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing a brand new print of this film at the New Beverly Cinema is nothing short of amazing. I can't wait for this movie to be in Blu format at the end of this year.
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronnie.. your favorite movie of all-time needs more input from you!  Unlike my fav that is often discussed, "Aliens" is not brought up that much so let's have some fun with it.   

So what I'm trying to say is.. give us more as to why you consider it #1 on your list!

"Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are."

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - or  -

Screengrabs from the Alien Anthology Blu-ray are now online:

-

- Alien Screen Grabs

-

- Aliens Screen Grabs

* click on Image for 1920 x 1080

Screenshots of Alien3 and Resurrection should be following in the next few days.

UPDATE: IMAGES REMOVED AT THE REQUEST OF 20TH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT  -

[ 17. September 2010, 10:43: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

thanks J2ME! just put this on my christmas list and sent it straight to my husband! [Big Grin]
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked Aliens and thought it was a great film with good characters and effects,but because i was young at the time i had never seen Alien so i think the 2nd film works well as a stand alone film.
Strange that although i am 36 now i have still never seen Alien.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

There is nothing that doesn't look dope about that box set.
That's right I said it. Dope.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
...[snip]...btw Ronnie... can you believe that Vasquez is also Diamondback from "Near Dark"? I never connected thoses dots back in the 80's.

Jenette Goldstein played Vasquez in the movie, and she was also in some other James Cameron-directed movies, Terminator 2, and Titanic.

She's had a pretty long and varied career! Check out her list of credits.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001280/

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing how so many of the conventions Cameron would use in his movies ended up being cliches because so many other movies ripped them off.

I always thought part of why 'Aliens' worked as a sequel, is that it changed genre from 'Alien' - horror to thriller.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody picked this up yet?

I received it a few days ago, along with the BTTF Blu-ray set. I'll probably start watching them over the weekend.

Just in case you're undecided, here is a review that should make up your mind. [Cool]

Edit: Special Features --

DVD Description
6 x BD Discs:
• 4 film discs
• Two versions of each movie (Directors Cut or Special Edition & Theatrical Version) in High Definition, plus commentaries
• 2 discs of Bonus Material
• Over 60 hours of extra features, including every piece of bonus material ever released
• Including over 4 hours of NEVER BEFORE SEEN content
• New MU-TH-UR Mode, a fully interactive companion takes the extensive materials in the ALIEN ANTHOLOGY and puts them in the user’s hand – connecting fans to special features on all six discs and instantly providing an index of all available ALIEN content.

Special Features
DISC ONE: ALIEN
• 1979 Theatrical Version
• 2003 Director’s Cut with Ridley Scott Introduction
• Audio Commentary by Director Ridley Scott, Writer Dan O’Bannon, Executive Producer Ronald Shusett, Editor Terry Rawlings, Actors Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton and John Hurt
• Audio Commentary (for Theatrical Cut only) by Ridley Scott
• Final Theatrical Isolated Score by Jerry Goldsmith
• Composer’s Original Isolated Score by Jerry Goldsmith
• Deleted and Extended Scenes
• MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience with Weyland-Yutani Datastream

DISC TWO: ALIENS
• 1986 Theatrical Version
• 1991 Special Edition with James Cameron Introduction
• Audio Commentary by Director James Cameron, Producer Gale Anne Hurd, Alien Effects Creator Stan Winston, Visual Effects Supervisors Robert Skotak and Dennis Skotak, Miniature Effects Supervisor Pat McClung, Actors Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein, Carrie Henn and Christopher Henn
• Final Theatrical Isolated Score by James Horner
• Composer’s Original Isolated Score by James Horner

DISC THREE: ALIEN3
• 1992 Theatrical Version
• 2003 Special Edition (Restored Workprint Version)
• Audio Commentary by Cinematographer Alex Thomson, B.S.C., Editor Terry Rawlings, Alien Effects Designers Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., Visual Effects Producer Richard Edlund, A.S.C., Actors Paul McGann and Lance Henriksen
• Final Theatrical Isolated Score by Elliot Goldenthal

DISC FOUR: ALIEN RESURRECTION
• 1997 Theatrical Version
• 2003 Special Edition with Jean-Pierre Jeunet Introduction
• Audio Commentary by Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Editor Hervι Schneid, A.C.E., Alien Effects Creators Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., Visual Effects Supervisor Pitof, Conceptual Artist Sylvain Despretz, Actors Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon and Leland Orser
• Final Theatrical Isolated Score by John Frizzell

DISC FIVE: MAKING THE ANTHOLOGY
In addition to over 12 hours of candid, in-depth documentaries, you now have the ability to go even deeper into Alien Anthology history with nearly five hours of additional video Enhancement Pods created exclusively for this collection, presenting behind-the-scenes footage, raw dailies and interview outtakes from all four films. At topical points in the documentaries, you may access these pods to enhance your experience, or watch them on their own from the separate Enhancement Pod index.

The Beast Within: Making ALIEN
• Star Beast: Developing the Story
• The Visualists: Direction and Design
• Truckers in Space: Casting
• Fear of the Unknown: Shepperton Studios, 1978
• The Darkest Reaches: Nostromo and Alien Planet
• The Eighth Passenger: Creature Design
• Future Tense: Editing and Music
• Outward Bound: Visual Effects
• A Nightmare Fulfilled: Reaction to the Film
• Enhancement Pods

Superior Firepower: Making ALIENS
• 57 Years Later: Continuing the Story
• Building Better Worlds: From Concept to Construction
• Preparing for Battle: Casting and Characterization
• This Time It’s War: Pinewood Studios, 1985
• The Risk Always Lives: Weapons and Action
• Bug Hunt: Creature Design
• Beauty and the Bitch: Power Loader vs. Queen Alien
• Two Orphans: Sigourney Weaver and Carrie Henn • The Final Countdown: Music, Editing and Sound
• The Power of Real Tech: Visual Effects
• Aliens Unleashed: Reaction to the Film
• Enhancement Pods

Wreckage and Rage: Making ALIEN3
• Development Hell: Concluding the Story
• Tales of the Wooden Planet: Vincent Ward’s Vision
• Stasis Interrupted: David Fincher’s Vision
• Xeno-Erotic: H.R. Giger’s Redesign
• The Color of Blood: Pinewood Studios, 1991
• Adaptive Organism: Creature Design
• The Downward Spiral: Creative Differences
• Where the Sun Burns Cold: Fox Studios, L.A. 1992
• Optical Fury: Visual Effects
• Requiem for a Scream: Music, Editing and Sound
• Post-Mortem: Reaction to the Film
• Enhancement Pods

One Step Beyond: Making ALIEN RESURRECTION
• From the Ashes: Reviving the Story
• French Twist: Direction and Design
• Under the Skin: Casting and Characterization
• Death from Below: Fox Studios, Los Angeles, 1996
• In the Zone: The Basketball Scene
• Unnatural Mutation: Creature Design
• Genetic Composition: Music
• Virtual Aliens: Computer Generated Imagery
• A Matter of Scale: Miniature Photography
• Critical Juncture: Reaction to the Film
• Enhancement Pods
• MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience to Access and Control Enhancement Pods

DISC SIX: THE ANTHOLOGY ARCHIVES
ALIEN • Pre-Production
• First Draft Screenplay by Dan O’Bannon
• Ridleygrams: Original Thumbnails and Notes
• Storyboard Archive
• The Art of Alien: Conceptual Art Portfolio
• Sigourney Weaver Screen Tests with Select Director Commentary
• Cast Portrait Gallery
• Production
• The Chestbuster: Multi-Angle Sequence with Commentary
• Video Graphics Gallery
• Production Image Galleries
• Continuity Polaroids
• The Sets of Alien
• H.R. Giger’s Workshop Gallery
• Post-Production and Aftermath
• Additional Deleted Scenes
• Image & Poster Galleries
• Experience in Terror
• Special Collector’s Edition LaserDisc Archive
• The Alien Legacy
• American Cinematheque: Ridley Scott Q&A
• Trailers & TV Spots

ALIENS
• Pre-Production
• Original Treatment by James Cameron
• Pre-Visualizations: Multi-Angle Videomatics with Commentary
• Storyboard Archive
• The Art of Aliens: Image Galleries
• Cast Portrait Gallery
• Production
• Continuity Polaroids
• Weapons and Vehicles
• Stan Winston’s Workshop
• Colonial Marine Helmet Cameras
• Video Graphics Gallery
• Weyland-Yutani Inquest: Nostromo Dossiers
• Deleted Scene: Burke Cocooned
• Deleted Scene Montage
• Image Galleries
• Special Collector’s Edition LaserDisc Archive
• Main Title Exploration
• Aliens: Ride at the Speed of Fright
• Trailers & TV Spots

ALIEN3
• Pre-Production
• Storyboard Archive
• The Art of Arceon
• The Art of Fiorina
• Production
• Furnace Construction: Time-Lapse Sequence
• EEV Bioscan: Multi-Angle Vignette with Commentary
• A.D.I.’s Workshop
• Visual Effects Gallery
• Special Shoot: Promotional Photo Archive
• Alien3 Advance Featurette
• The Making of Alien3 Promotional Featurette
• Trailers & TV Spots

ALIEN RESURRECTION
• Pre-Production
• First Draft Screenplay by Joss Whedon
• Test Footage: A.D.I. Creature Shop with Commentary
• Test Footage: Costumes, Hair and Makeup
• Pre-Visualizations: Multi-Angle Rehearsals
• Storyboard Archive
• The Marc Caro Portfolio: Character Designs
• The Art of Resurrection: Image Galleries
• Production
• A.D.I.’s Workshop
• Visual Effects Gallery
• Special Shoot: Promotional Photo Archive
• HBO First Look: The Making of Alien Resurrection
• Alien Resurrection Promotional Featurette
• Trailers & TV Spots

ANTHOLOGY
• Two Versions of Alien Evolution
• The Alien Saga
• Patches and Logos Gallery
• Aliens 3D Attraction Scripts and Gallery
• Aliens in the Basement: The Bob Burns Collection
• Parodies
• Dark Horse Cover Gallery
• Patches and Logos Gallery
• MU-TH-UR Mode Interactive Experience

Subtitles and Audio

Alien

Theatrical Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 4.1 Dolby Surround, English 2.0 Dolby Surround, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Theatrical Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Latin Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish

Extended Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Dolby Surround, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Extended Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Latin Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish

Aliens

Theatrical Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 4.1 Dolby Surround, English 2.0 Dolby Surround, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Theatrical Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Latin Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish

Extended Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Dolby Surround, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Extended Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Latin Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish

Alien 3

Theatrical Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Restored Work Print Version Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Restored Work Print Version Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Latin Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish

Alien Resurrection

Theatrical Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Extended Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Brazilian Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 DTS, German 5.1 DTS, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

[ 29. October 2010, 12:42: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Just wanted to make sure that fans of the movie "Aliens" didn't miss this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly. James Cameron reunited with Carrie Henn, Michael Biehn, Sigourney Weaver, Bill Paxton, and Lance Henriksen in LA for a reunion.

Cameron said:

"It was like getting the band back together.. we wanted to run off and make another Alien movie."

-

Watched this movie last weekend after discussing it with Ronnie who cherishes this film. I own the Special Edition version, but now I'm interested in the Blu-ray boxset that J2ME nicely details above.

The EW article is only a couple of pages, but there are several memories and a great description of Ripley by Weaver. Also, it was a blast to find out that Paxton improvised some of those hilarious quotes we all know so well.

I recommend that everyone watch "Aliens" as soon as you can work it in.

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so bummed I missed that issue of EW!! Which one was it so I can find it on eBay or something???
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home