iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Hardbodies - The BBD Edition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hardbodies - The BBD Edition
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you don't know what they are, you don't know what you're missing."

-

"Hardbodies" is a movie that seems morally wrong on so many levels, but it is a movie I so enjoy!  Maybe it's the beach or the convertible or the parties or all the girls or the girl band or that revolving waterbed.. okay it is all the above.  

-

When three middle-aged and out of touch guys decide to snap up the hottest house on the beach, they're convinced that their new residence is going to be attracting all bikini-clad babes on the beach. But soon.. Hunter (I spill no wine before it's time), Rounder, and Ashby realize that it's going to be a much tougher job than they first thought.

-

Enter Scotty Palmer.. who introduces himself to his new neighbors by offering to wash their sweet convertible. Little do they realize but his offer is just a front - claiming the car to be his, he lures a couple of girls to go for a cruise. Once the three middle-aged guys notice his moves, they're actually quite impressed. Hunter even puts forward an offer that Scotty can't refuse - $600 a month and a room in their beach house and in return all Scotty has to do is teach them how to attract hardbodies on their own.

-

Scotty Palmer should not be a character that we encourage, but the same charms he uses with women seems to work on the viewing audience as well. However, he does get a little needed payback from Kristi.. the one girl Scotty truly cares about which does show that his life is more than just a total scam.

-

One of my favorite characters and the only square old dude worth a girl's effort was actually Ashby.  And I really enjoyed the coupling of Ashby with Kristi Somers as Michelle. 

"Why, Ashby darling, you want romance? Read a novel. You want me? I'm upstairs."

-

Oh and I loved the interaction of Courtney Gains as Scotty's best bud Rag with Cindy Silver as Kristi's best friend Kimberly.  Talk about opposites attract.. and what was so great about it all was the fact by the end of the movie it made perfect sense.

Finally, let's not forget the performance of the band Vixen (or make that Diaper Rash) throughout the movie.  Glad they took the agent's advice and changed their name..

My favorite scenes in "Hardbodies" is actually when they go out on the town in the limo and later end up on the beach.  Fun stuff!

[ 21. June 2010, 18:47: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great write-up, Valley.

I've always wondered...if the main reason any of us actually rented this movie was based on the vhs box art? I know it was the only reason I decided to rent it way back when. Pretty irresistible at the video store in my opinion [Big Grin]

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no secret the Muffster loves her T&A movies....I saw this one a long time ago and I remember liking it also remember the party house with the "cowboyish" older guys.......But I don't remember feeling the need to buy it. I've noticed Hardbodies 2 has been on ondemand alot lately.....but not the first so I could watch it again....grrrrr.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's no secret the Muffster loves her T&A movies
I'll drive the devil out of both of you. Filthy.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging by the pics those bodies don't seem so hard to me. On the contrary. [Wink]

Seriously though.. Does this movie live up to it's cover art?
I agree with Secret Admirer. It's a pretty hypnotising cover. I've been tempted many times to rent it, but somehow never did.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust us TKO,
it´s an all time classic feelgood flick!

The soundtrack rocks too!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO.. you should totally give "Hardbodies" a viewing, but only if you are not embarrassed by seeing gorgeous women with little to no clothes on. Just a friendly warning.

Muffy.. avoid "Hardbodies 2" at all cost. The word horrible is an understatement. So bad the original Scotty Palmer and Rag sat it out. Now that is bad! Okay.. let me know what you think since that comment is making you want to watch it now.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha valley!

i too, have never seen this. i remember my friend had this vhs tape when we were little. she loved it. i might have to get a copy and check it out. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is one of my favorite comedies from the 80's. i really need to get this on dvd.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing movie.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe good one Valley. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I'm totally convinced now.
Thanks guys..

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to go against the crowd here but I hated this movie when it first came out and I STILL hate it. An online friend and I were talking about how the band VIXEN were in this movie and he sent me a copy telling me it was worth a "re-watch". It wasnt even worth re-watching for the VIXEN scenes!

Dont get me wrong, I can enjoy a good Teens Trying To Get Laid flick- AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY. For me the benchmark ones are LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN and PORKYS.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Last American Virgin has an ending that ruins all the laughs for me and I've never been a fan of Porky's..

I think that is why they make so many movies.. it is so subjective in how we each view them.

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Vixen were so flucking great in this. Those are chicks I want to party with.

COMPUTER MADNESS... YEAH YEAH

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That VHS cover is making me want some Ban De Soleil tanning goodness...I can still smell it....I think they still make it?
 -

I just put this in my netlix account so hopefully I can report back to you all [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Secret Admirer.. did Diaper Rash listen to that dude's advice and change their name or something?
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oops, I sorta broke character there didn't I? I meant to say Diaper Rash (aka Hardbodies), sorry, not Vixen [Wink]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Secret.. definitely stay in character.. if Scotty Palmer taught us anything about the BBD, it's all about the:

Dialogue!!

Bodhi Zephyr
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9067

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bodhi Zephyr   Email Bodhi Zephyr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So anyone know why this great movie doesn't have a review on the fast-rewind main site?
Posts: 67 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

While I was looking for a few pics for my "Killer Klowns From Outerspace" posting, I can across this recent candid shot of Grant Cramer. Thought it might interest fans of "Hardbodies", I think Scotty Palmer is actually looking good after all those years of searching for the BBD.

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Nice to see Scotty is still alive and kickin.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home