iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Sunset (1988) - Bruce Willis and James Garner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sunset (1988) - Bruce Willis and James Garner
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Whilst making a silent film about the life of the legendary lawman Wyatt Earp, veteran actor Tom Mix (Bruce Willis) discovers that the real Earp (James Garner) is on the film set as a technical advisor. The two become friends, but when a murder takes place, the two become partners and set about tracking down the killer.

I've never been a fan of Blake Edwards movies, but "Sunset" might be the exception. This movie seems to be lost in the 80's, but I've always loved the premise of two legends meeting each other and then working together to solve a mystery.

-

What is really cool is the fact it now works from the Bruce Willis and James Garner angle as well as the Tom Mix and Wyatt Earp scenario. When the movie was released, Willis really only had "Moonlighting" and the movie "Blind Date" on his acting resume. But looking back now.. it really was two legends teaming up. David Addison and Jim Rockford!

Although "Sunset" is a fictional account of what would have been an incredible story, I've always enjoyed the idea of it.

In real life.. Wyatt Earp worked as a technical advisor on several westerns and became friends with actors like Tom Mix, William S. Hart, and a young stunt extra named John Wayne. Tom Mix was actually a pallbearer at Wyatt Earp's funeral.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've never been a fan of Blake Edwards movies
Blake Edwards just didn't seem able to maintain consistency, it was always either bad or good. There seemed to be no baseline.

I liked Sunset.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m going to get this one.
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logan5.. Blake Edwards made movies that our older sisters or brothers would like.. if any of us have any! There were a few exceptions, but none of them that I would call favs.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gone through his IMDB filmography. Here's the one's I either liked or really liked:

Sunset (1988)
Blind Date (1987)
Micki + Maude (1984)
Victor Victoria (1982)
S.O.B. (1981) [an absolute mess - but I liked it]
10 (1979)
The Great Race (1965)
Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Operation Petticoat (1959)

... and at least two of the Pink Panther movies, the titles of which I can never get right.

I guess that's not a bad list.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home