iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » David Lynch's Blue Velvet (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: David Lynch's Blue Velvet
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heaven's Gate, stinker? Well I never [Razz] I think it's great.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falkor
Rewinder
Member # 7874

17 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Falkor   Email Falkor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not quite sure what that means. You make it sound like he was forced. They asked him, he wanted to do it, so he said "yes".
What it means is Lynch only directed Dune (as a contractual thing) so that he could make Blue Velvet later on.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 17  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Heaven's Gate, stinker? Well I never [Razz] I think it's great.

Helen, why do your posts always make me do this: [Big Grin] ?

quote:
What it means is Lynch only directed Dune (as a contractual thing) so that he could make Blue Velvet later on.
In that case I'll have to disagree. Blue Velvet only cost $1 to make. Lynch made it as an attempt to do something cheap and personal after the titanic flop of Dune. Why would he slave for three years on the hell of Dune just to get the chance to make a movie he could've financed himself or easily gotten financing for? He was a hot property after 'The Elephant Man'.

Dino: "David, if you are my slave for three years and make a horrendously difficult adaptation of a much-loved novel, 'Dune', I'll give you $1 and a box of string and let you shoot 'Blue Velvet' in my back garden. Deal?"

Lynch: "Deal!"

Dino: "He really is crazy."

[PS: Don't take any of the above as an attack on you, Falk, I'm just japestering}

[ 07. November 2010, 16:28: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falkor
Rewinder
Member # 7874

17 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Falkor   Email Falkor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logan, it might not have been his only reason for making Dune, but it was certainly part of it. Read this: http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/papers/wallace5.html

quote:
BV's development had been one part of the deal under which Lynch had agreed to do Dune, and the latter's huge splat caused two years of rather chilly relations between Dino and Dave while the former clutched his head and the latter wrote BV's script and the De Laurentiis Entertainment Group's accountants did the postmortem on a $40 million stillbirth. Then De Laurentiis offered Lynch a deal for making BV, a very unusual sort of arrangement. For Blue Velvet, De Laurentiis offered Lynch a tiny budget and an absurdly low directorial fee, but 100 percent control over the film.
And I don't think Lynch would have had an easy time finding someone to fund a movie like Blue Velvet. I don't imagine he would have paid the 6 million budget out of his own pocket either. Under the deal with Laurentiis he had absolute control over his work, which is a rare thing in Hollywood!
Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2009 | Site Updates: 17  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I speak from experience here, not a good first date movie.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Helen, why do your posts always make me do this: [Big Grin] ?

-
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
logan, it might not have been his only reason for making Dune, but it was certainly part of it. Read this: http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/papers/wallace5.html
There's a certain amount of hearsay there, and it commits the all too common error when talking about Lynch of ignoring 'The Elephant Man'. A hit as well as a critically adored movie. I don't know why people forget about it. Remember, Lynch had just been offered 'Jedi' by Lucas and turned it down in favour of Dune because he felt he could put more of his own stamp on it. Lynch was very much a wunderkind back then.

quote:
BV's development had been one part of the deal under which Lynch had agreed to do Dune
It may well have been 'part of the deal', but I seriously doubt it was a deciding factor. It's just a Director trying to wring as much out of a contract that will see him lose three years of his life as possible. He probably just wanted Dino to guarantee that he would get to make his next picture regardless of what happened to Dune. Remember; nobody thought Dune was going to tank. It was only after Dune that Lynch had to salvage anything of his career.

quote:
And I don't think Lynch would have had an easy time finding someone to fund a movie like Blue Velvet.
After Dune; more difficult. Before; no problem.

quote:
I don't imagine he would have paid the 6 million budget out of his own pocket either.
When I said 'finance the film himself', I meant reaise the money himself, not necessarily pay it all himself. He could've done it. He still had 'Eraserhead' and 'The Elephant Man' as gold calling-cards. Many Directors with less were getting bigger budgets than that.

quote:
Under the deal with Laurentiis he had absolute control over his work, which is a rare thing in Hollywood!
That is a rarity. But remember; when Lynch signed the contracts he didn't know that Dune would flop, Dino would shred his cut, and that the creative control he wanted for BV would become crucial.

I'm rambling, but my point is; there is no way Lynch made Dune so he could make Blue Velvet. Any guarantees of financing a little movie after Dune would've been incidental. Before Dune Lynch had nothing to prove, after it he had everything to prove.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
I speak from experience here, not a good first date movie.

Tragically funny!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BV Is not a date movie you know.
Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where were you when I needed you most, Harry? Now you tell me!
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HarryCanyon:
BV Is not a date movie you know.

Maybe with the right girl... [Wink]
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan i'd be that type of girl....."this guy is so cool and indie taking me to see Blue Velvet" haha

I'm a rarity i'm sure....."now what's the cool new Jennifer Anniston chick flick?" [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a date to see "Altered States." It was a disaster! We had to leave. I never walk out of movies...ever. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Logan i'd be that type of girl....."this guy is so cool and indie taking me to see Blue Velvet" haha. I'm a rarity i'm sure....."now what's the cool new Jennifer Anniston chick flick?" [Smile]
You are a rarity, Muff. Only to be found flying around the skies in the warm and balmy climate of The Rewind.

quote:
I took a date to see "Altered States." It was a disaster! We had to leave. I never walk out of movies...ever. :-)
This is how you handle the 'bad date movie' situation: When you've realised that the movie either a) sucks, or b) simply isn't date material; you turn to the person you're with and say...

"This movie sucks ***. Let's make out."

... then proceed to do what the movie was actually stopping you from doing. If the movie's any good you can catch it on DVD.

Voila! No need to thank me.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL. My choice for an 80s movie where you and your date will get through the movie (and really love it) and go make out later is "Body Heat." Trust me. It works. :-)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favourites. I like extremely stylized movies.

A very interesting article on post-modernism and authorship in Blue velvet: http://www.britishfilm.org.uk/lynch/blue_velvet.html.

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falkor
Rewinder
Member # 7874

17 Updates!

Member Rated:
Also, Blue Velvet is being released on blu-ray November 8. Can't wait!

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Velvet-Blu-ray-Kyle-MacLachlan/dp/B005HT400A/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home