iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Future Primitive vs. Thrashin'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Future Primitive vs. Thrashin'
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the nostalgic skateboard fanatics out there...

This is a fine documentary (released in '85) about the early days of the Bones Brigade, which spawned many skateboarding greats such as Lance Mountain, Tommy Guerrero, Tony Hawk, Steve Caballero, Rodney Mullen and Per Welinder.

-

Any resemblance with Thrashin' (1986) is pure coincidence. (or not [Wink] )

Bullying pedestrians
 -

A fallen comrade = just another obstacle
 -

Hobo-hopping
 -

Double-deckin'
 -

Relaxing...
 -

Downhill race
 -

As you can see, this video was obviously the blueprint for Thrashin'. It's worth checking out if you want to see the real deal...
No storyline, no romance, no gang rivalry,.. Just pure 'old school' skateboarding fun.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO - you and i are from the same blood - NOW your speakin my language mate. I have this on vhs and have watched it to the point of not being able to watch it anymore as its stretched. I havnt looked for it on dvd at all but think my friend my still have a watchable copy. I would religiously wear tony hawk and vision street wear..i loved the hosoi decks and trucks but the helmets and pads i had were tony hawk all the way. Spent many a weekends building quarter pipes with milk crates and flexi board and anything else we could find...doors, a grand piano top once and it always turned out fine. Wed build em about 8 feet tall and about 10 feet wide for the bmx my mate charlie rode on. Some of my best days as a teenager. Baggy shorts, baggy shirts and kick ar%$ oli and a bones and i was set.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
wore this print all the time

-
had a grey and red and yellow one of these
saved my money for ages for one of these decks - excellent for olis
 -

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
and i love that hand plant corey does on the quarter pipe towards the start of thrashin - awsome...i tried that for ages and eventually gave up after smacking my colar bone on the top of the ramp. i was useless on the pipes.
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup mate, I can totally relate to that. [Smile]

At the time skateparks, ramps etc were very rare in our neighbourhood. So I spend most of my time with street skateboarding. But... like you we tried to build obstacles and mini half pipes with the things we could find.
Never did much vert either, except for some empty pools.
Man, the cars I had to wash before I could buy my first 'decent' deck: an Alva Fred Smith, kinda like this one. I wish I still had it.

-

Those were the days...
Never could master the hand plant either.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely a fan of the movies Thrashin' and Gleaming the Cube..

But I've never seen this documentary and now I'm intrigued.

Have you seen the documentary "Dogtown and Z-Boys" narrated by Sean Penn?

-

Not to be confused with the movie "Lords of Dogtown" but similar to what you are stating about Thrashin' and this doc.

[ 28. May 2010, 12:45: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yes, I have Valley. I've seen both the doc and the movie as I've always been a big admirer of Tony Alva. Even though he's a bit c0cky.

Dogtown and Z-Boys is IMO the best skateboarding documentary there is. It shows us where and how the modern, more agressive style of skateboarding started.
Sad how Jay Adams - being the most natural gifted skater of the gang - is the only one for whome things didn't work out.

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
That's Jay on the cover BTW [Wink]
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO.. I enjoyed the movie, but I thought the documentary was just incredible. A must see for any fan of the sport!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friends and i were hardcore skaters from about '84/'92. that was a great time.

future primitive was awesome. i remember how great it was hanging out at our local skate shop waiting for animal chin to come out on vhs. we spent an entire day there watching it over and over.

the last skate i ever bought, and my favorite, was a per welinder with some powell/peralta street style wheels(also my favorite wheels) and indy trucks. i also owned a jeff phillips(another awesome board), a rob roskopp, a schmitt stix(forgot who's board), and an agent orange board, which was my first real skate. i bought that the summer of '84. i liked street skating more than vert back then so i was into street skaters like gonz, eric dressen(my favorite street skater), and natas koupas, but of course i still loved watching the vert guys.

dogtown was a great documentary. people should also check out the doc's on christian hosoi and gator.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
That is cool xchazx.

Technically I started skating around the late 70's. But as I was still very young and tricks were limited on these plastic boards, I got bored with it pretty quickly.
Then came the movie E.T. and of course I wanted a BMX.

It wasn't until Thrashin' came out, that I picked up skateboarding again and took it more seriously.
Hmm... You can't say I'm not easily influenced by the movies, haha.

I was a bit disappointed in The Search for Animal Chin as a movie. But really, who cared? It was the action in it that was important.

I have yet to check out the doc's on Hosoi and Gator.

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Technically I started skating around the late 70's. But as I was still very young and tricks were limited on these plastic boards, I got bored with it pretty quickly.
Then came the movie E.T. and of course I wanted a BMX.

those plastic boards were absolute suicide to me - talk aboout the death wobbles - man i cut it close on one of those a couple of times then gave it a miss and like you - went straight to bmx for 4 year until...early 85 and traded bmx for a reflex and then a profile board which weighed a tonne. It was all about speed and down hill whilst sitting on your board wearing the heels of your shoes out and then getting in trouble off dad. So i taped two chin straps off a couple of helmets to the heels of my shoes. used to do tandom downhill towards the beach with my feet on my friends board and his legs over mine with his feet on my board - insane.

quote:
You can't say I'm not easily influenced by the movies, haha.
yep, im hearin ya on this TKO...load and clear!! at the time of thrashin i was killin my self to get that spider web type of print...not sure what deck he had but the way it tapers towards the back i would have guessed gator.

quote:
and my favorite, was a per welinder with some powell/peralta street style wheels
Those power peralta wheels cost me a fortune!!! I had to wash cars for 9 hours on sat and sun to afford those.

quote:
i also owned a jeff phillips(another awesome board), a rob roskopp, a schmitt stix(forgot who's board),
damn xchazx, howd you afford those? The schmitt stix had the most awsome kick on it - almost vertical and i couldnt handle it, but the prints were just awsome.

quote:
Sad how Jay Adams - being the most natural gifted skater of the gang - is the only one for whome things didn't work out.
yep, he certainly made things evolve a lot quicker than they would have without him. Loved his free attitude, he just loved skate boarding like your supposed to. In a world of his own.

quote:
At the time skateparks, ramps etc were very rare in our neighbourhood. So I spend most of my time with street skateboarding.
yeah, i was into bones off the highest obstacles i could find. Spent many a time on my a75e after rail sliding along benches. I never did a pool as the weather in australia where i was (on the beaches in sydney)was good enough to swim yr round and thus were never emptied. Looked to insane to me.
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
at the time of thrashin i was killin my self to get that spider web type of print...

I think I always tried to cut out these lightning patterns out of the griptape. *sigh* I really miss those carefree days and the friends I had back then...

Every now and then, I still go skateboarding with my son, but it just isn't the same anymore. Besides, it feels a bit awkward at my age.

Thanks guys for sharing your stories. It was fun reading them and they brought back lots of (almost) forgotten memories.

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my oldest is 5 and i just started skating again with him last summer, though it was not pretty. when he gets a little older and better, i'd like to build and nice quarter pipe. i think i could handle that again, even though i just turned 40.

edit: and i could afford everything because i worked a lot during the summers starting in '84 and before i got a drivers license, i had nothing to spend money on except video games, albums and 7"s, and skateboards.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
i think i could handle that again, even though i just turned 40.

Sure you can xchazx. As long as your in good shape why not. Tony Alva also still skates and he's like 52 now.

To me it just feels a bit weird of being the oldtimer between a bunch of youngsters. But in some way it's kinda cool too.

There's still respect for the elder hehe.

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doc, Rising Son on Christian Hosoi is pretty good! I bought that after listening to the audio comm. for Thrashin'.
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
being a teacher i get to do some kids stuff all the time. im 36 and the kids say im really old. im a little heavy on the board as i weigh 93kg and im only 5ft 10. I had a go for the first time a few weeks ago and was surpised i could still oli. I hear what your sayin about the too old thing but life is just way too short for me to care about that - dont get me wrong i wouldnt go out and buy a board but if i had a son i most definately would be livin all this over again no questions asked - so TKO and xchazx for god sake go and get a board amd get back into it with your sons NOW!!!! I bet within a couple of months youll really surprise yourself what you can do, i was after just 30 minutes.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home