iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Wall Street (1987)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wall Street (1987)
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had never seen this one before, but since Wall Street 2 comes out this year, I decided to finally watch it.

I enjoyed it, I thought both Sheen and Douglas gave great performances. I believe Michael Douglas won the Oscar for his role. And obviously the topic is as relevant as ever given the current economic situation. Probably not the best time to release the second one since everyone hates Wall Street right now.

Also, towards the beginning of the movie, they referenced the Challenger disater, which occured in 1986, but the movie takes place in 1985. How did they make that big of a mistake?

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this movie since the 80's. I heard that Gordon Gekko has been released from prison after 20 years, so why not get back in the mix again.

Actually, this is the kind of sequel I have interest in.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's also apparently broke after he gets out of prison and has to start over again. He takes Shia Leleouf's character under his wing, who in the movie is engaged to Gordon's daughter. Which is odd because in the first one, Gordon had a son and if he's been in prison for 20 years, how does he have a daughter?!

To be honest, I'm only watching the sequel for Shia! lol

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have liked Shia ever since he said that he was inspired by John Cusack in "Say Anything" for his performance in "Disturbia."
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
I have liked Shia ever since he said that he was inspired by John Cusack in "Say Anything" for his performance in "Disturbia."

Just a shame that 'Disturbia' was a mediocre film!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Wall Street very much.
Oliver Stone has always been one of the most interesting directors IMO.

And i just gotta have everything Douglas and Sheen did back in the 80s [Cool]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this movie and actually watched some of it last night on AMC or one of those channels. I think Douglas does a perfect job making Gordon seem like the most powerful person on the planet.

I'm excited for the new one because it's not a remake it's an honest sequel. I hope it all turns out well but I don't think they will be able to compete with the first one.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wall Street is a great movie, The Sheens (Martin and Charlie) and Douglas in his best, most memorable, role. Shia Labeouf is doing some damage control these days, slating Indy 4 and Trasnformers 2. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Charlie Sheen return (though he does have a cameo) and make it so that Gecko is leaving prison just as Bernie Madoff is going in.

Hope Oliver Stone sticks to the facts as the majority of people know what's going on and who the culprits are.

An early review from Cannes, suggests its OK.
Wall Street 2 Review

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched both Wall Street movies and gotta say that the first one still holds up. Great performances and the mostly David Byrne/Talking Heads soundtrack shouldn't have worked, but it did. High quality film start to finish.

The second film just wasn't very good.

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wall Street is a classic.

The only part of Wall Street 2 that I liked was the Charlie Sheen scene.

but don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Douglas.

My advice - just watch the scene on youtube and forget the sequel, but hey you'll probably watch it anyway.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched it for the first time ever!

I loved it.......the performances between Douglas and Sheen were awesome, and I really picked up on the soundtrack since SA pointed it out........I loved when 'Naive Melody' kicks in when he buys his place and their decorating lol Darian's stupid hat and them making pasta! classic 80s! I always loved that song.

Totally hated the dramatic climatic scene between Sheen and Hannah...it was so bad it actually made me cringe...usually I like bad but it was misplaced.I just looked and Hannah won the Razzie that year for worst actress! TOTALLY.

Another point........I've always found Douglas handsome...Fatal Attraction was the same year were he was "swiiiiiiiiit swoooooo" then Wall Street where his character is so slimy you see him as slimy and nothing else....shows you just how great he was!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any idea what brand of sushi maker Bud Fox uses in the scene with Darryl Hannah?
Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched both Wall Street movies the last couple nights. I can't get enough of the first one, it's one of my all time favorites. As for the second one, I do kind of enjoy the feel to the movie. It's long and drawn out but it was great timing for this movie. With all the financial issues going on in the US and the world, you can't help but think of people like Gordon Gecko. People thinking, "greed is good."

I do really think watching them back to back is worth it and I think the 2nd one should be given another chance by people that didn't enjoy it that much.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Film was good.

I love the talking heads song!!

Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
It's so amazing!! Every time I hear that song I get so pumped!
Burnett
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9924

5 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Burnett   Email Burnett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the original a lot. It's fun because you see him rising, getting rich and living a luxurious and decadent lifestyle.
That wasn't the case in the sequel, which was also hard to follow for people who don't know anything about stock exchange - such as myself.
It seems like recent American movies are grabbing back to yuppie-themes (think Limitless, Social Network, etc).

[ 24. August 2011, 05:46: Message edited by: Burnett ]

Posts: 87 | From: Belgium | Registered: Aug 2011 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home