iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Oh No....They Don't Pay Me No More....Running Scared (1986)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh No....They Don't Pay Me No More....Running Scared (1986)
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Running Scared" might be one of the most underrated movies from the 80's in my opinion. The film balances Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines's humor and likability with the right amount of action to keep everything exciting and interesting.

The joy of "Running Scared" is not necessarily its plot, but its characters and dialogue. Hines and Crystal are perfectly partnered. Both have impeccable comic timing and just enough gruff to seem somewhat dangerous. It is the moments where they try to one-up each other that are the most real and funny. I have watched this film numerous times and each viewing just cracks me up.

-

-

Plus.. I will be finding the location of the final confrontation on my Chicago escapades!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely underrated, with, as mentioned a good mix of action and humor (the car chase on the elevated train tracks is very effective). And of course, Sweet Freedom, perhaps one of the most unheralded title tracks of the decade, Michael McDonald's very best to date, and the perfect fit for the tropical part of the picture.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice little buddy movie. Had all the right ingredients.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kowalski mentioned it, so I just had to revive this thread. Another great movie mostly filmed in Chicago, though I enjoy the Key West scenes as well.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the CandyFanMan:
And of course, Sweet Freedom, perhaps one of the most unheralded title tracks of the decade, Michael McDonald's very best to date, and the perfect fit for the tropical part of the picture.

I agree...I rarely hear anyone mention this track, and it's one of my favorite soundtrack songs from the 1980's.

I also agree with Valley - an underrated film, with solid performances from Hines and Crystal. So much of Crystal's work from the 80's gets attention, and this one desrves its fair share. I also want to mention that I enjoyed Jimmy Smits playing the bad guy in this one!

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mire Mare
Master Rewinder
Member # 5900

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mire Mare   Email Mire Mare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favourites and has to be up there with Stake Out.

Who needs Lethal Weapon.

MM

P.S As I understand it a sequel was in the pipe line once upon a time.

Posts: 165 | From: Coventry, United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one has some great moments in it. Love the Florida scenes where they're roller skating all over the place - classic 80s montage there. I didn't like Smits as the bad guy - it didn't work for me. Other than that, good film overall.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
As I was watching "Bad Boys" last night.. it kept reminding me of movies such as "48 Hours", "Beverly Hills Cop", and most importantly "Running Scared".  It really felt like "Bad Boys" swiped the idea of sparring detective duos that in the end truly had each others backs that worked so well in "Running Scared".  

Still not quite sure where I'm coming from on this.. compare detectives Anthony Montoya (Jon Gries) and Frank Sigliano (Steven Bauer) from "Running Scared" to detectives Sanchez (Nestor Serrano) and Ruiz (Julio Oscar Mechoso) in "Bad Boys".

If you've never seen "Running Scared" and enjoy some of the other flicks mentioned above .. I highly recommended it.

[ 31. January 2011, 10:54: Message edited by: Valley ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I read the title of this thread I hear the dialogue and it repeats over and over in my brain!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a big fan of this movie too.

One other good tune is this film is...Klymaxx . Man Size Love

I had never heard of then and dont believe they ever made an impact on the UK chart but I got some of there stuff after hearing this song..

Cool video too

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftTox.html

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good movie!
Saint, i have always liked that Klymaxx tune.
Pretty similiar video compared to Alex Brown - (Come On) Shout song
from the Girls Just Want to Have Fun movie.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved this movie. I always liked Gregory Hines, and the Hines/Crystal duo was great. It is sad that he passed away at such a young age. The last thing I remember seeing him in was Will and Grace. And every time I hear Shine Sweet Freedom, it is in my head for a week. It's there right now!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had a soft spot for "Running Scared" too even though it's no world-beater. The plot is generic and merely functional, but the chemistry between Hines and Crystal is great. And Peter Hyams did a nice, colorful job directing the movie. As folks have mentioned, it has a fairly classic soundtrack too. Hyams did some wonderful stuff in the 70's and 80's. Sadly, for the last couple of decades he been mostly spinning his wheels doing hackwork. (If you've seen "Sound of Thunder" or "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt," you won't believe that it's the same director.)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi aTomiK,

I have never seen Alex Brown - (Come On) Shout song or Girls Just Want to Have Fun so I will check this out pretty soon.

I have the original VHS and cover for this and one thing that always puzzled me on the cover was a 'tag line' saying; "Every crook in town wants to take one last shot at them!!" When thats not really what the movies about at all?

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
"Every crook in town wants to take one last shot at them!!" When thats not really what the movies about at all?
But it does fit with the title [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home