iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Searching for Movie TItles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Searching for Movie TItles
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bethguy   Author's Homepage   Email bethguy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone -
I'm in desperate need of your help. I'm searching for 2 movie titles; and seeing as how I watched them when i was younger believe them to be 80's films. (they could be early 90's)

First Film:
A young girl goes to live with an aunt (or grandma - or female guardian) in a town where there aren't many children. This young girl can see these lost - or ghost, or phantom - children and they dance around a maypole. She has to go to where they are and save them - or do something - and then at the end she comes back on a boat either through a tunnel or under a bridge. The guardian might be obssesed with clocks, and there might be strange markings on trees or rocks.

Second Film:
A princess is "cursed" with weightlessness (or something) because she likes spending all her time in a lake. and this guy - could be her tutor - spends all day in a row boat next to her and he ends up breaking the curse.

Please help! Thank you.

Posts: 21 | From: Cheyenne | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can only think of animated movies which fit the second description sorry - The Swan Princess 1994 at best sorry. Maybe you think of a movie with tom cruise and mia sara called legend but i seriously doubt it.

the first film sounds familiar, ill ask a friend about it.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bethguy   Author's Homepage   Email bethguy       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oneyedwilly -
Thank You.
After much internet searching I discovered that the 2nd film I was remembering is called "The Light Princess" and was made in 1978 (it is part animated) - it is based on a fairytale of the same name by MacDonald.

However I am still unable to locate any information on the first film. Again I think it was from the 80s (but seeing as how the second film was from the late 70s might need to broaden my search). Any help you can provide is appreciated. Please don't limit the search to movies - this could have been a made for tv film; or an extended episode of something. I vaugely remember it being British (or set in England) and the guardian being strict - didn't want the little girl playing outside.

Again, Thank You for your help.

Posts: 21 | From: Cheyenne | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could the first movie be ghost story 1974 - which was named madhouse mansion in the U.S. it was released on dvd in october last yr.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
no - the main character was young - maybe preteen.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are just some guesses, but who knows, one might be right:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098866/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331736/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278856/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108324/

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
Logan5 -
Thank you for the suggestions.
I do not think "They" is it, but would need to watch "Moondial" and "Come Back, Lucy"
I am ruling out "The Children of the Green Knowe" only because the main character appears to be a boy and I know the main in the film I'm looking for is a girl.
Any other suggestions that you want to toss my way are appreciated. [Smile] I really want to find this thing.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've asked this in a few places, so I know you're serious!

Ok, do you have any more info? When (as close as you can get) do you think you saw it? TV or video? Did it 'feel' new or older? English language or dubbed? Where was it set? It had a maypole - is that something common in the US - it is (was) common in England. Did you watch it in the US or somewhere else? What 'type' of film was it - children's adventure / creepy horror? Any other details at all?

Are you certain it was a film, and not an episode of a TV series?

Both "Moondial" and "Come Back, Lucy" are BBC (British TV) productions. Some BBC stuff gets shown on US TV, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
logan5-

I watched it in USA (Dayton, Ohio to be exact)
both my older sister and I remeber it (vaugely) so probably around 1992-1994.
I don't remember if it was on TV or a video (I don't remember renting it from the library - where we got most of our videos - so I'm leaning towads tv)
It wasn't scary (that i remember) definately adventure (kind of fantasy) probably rated around a PG to PG13 (so children's film?)
Maypoles are not common in America.
There was a maypole in the movie (that is the one thing i definately remember)
It was english (no subtitles, if i had to read subtitles at 9 years old i wouldn't remember any of it.)
It seemed set in the british countryside, but was filmed in color and seemed a "new" filming set in an "old" time. I want to say the time it was set was world war 1 (?) there was electricity and cars but it was a rural village.
I vaugely remember that at the end when she came back on the boat under the bridge there is a man (or boy) with her.
- while hunting for this film i found someone else looking for it; they remembered the clocks and the markings on the trees (or rocks) and said the place the girl goes is underground.
Th eonly scene i remember is the maypole one - The girl and her feme guardian are walking and the girl looks over into this field and sees the children dancing around the maypole and hesitates and then is told to hurry up.

bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
I happened to think of something else... I'm not sure if it would help. When discussing the "old" movies with my sister - when this one came up and we couldn't remember the title - she had mentioned a scene where there was a girl in a cottage and a unicorn comes up and puts his/her head through the open top half of the door.
I couldn't place it in any other film and had initally thought that it might be "Bridge to Terabithia" (original) or "Legend" but on second thought it could very well be from this lost movie.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Grrr... this actually rings a bell! Not so sure about the Unicorn though.

Another suggestion:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105969/

bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
logan5-

again I'm going to have to lean towards no. Without seeing it (and no plot description given) all I have to go on is the cast list. It lists boys in the lead role. Thanks for trying but I'm about 90% certain that the lead in what i'm looking for was a preteen (11 or 12) brunette girl.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
The lead is definitely a girl. There are some boys that she gets together with as the story progresses. Do you know if the girl in the story you're looking for does everything alone, or if she gets help?
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
honestly I can't remeber. I want to say by herself, but the phantom children might have been helping (or mythical creatures) and again if at the end there is a boy in the boat he had to get there somehow.
I'm trying to get another pow wow session with my sister about this. Perhaps she'll remember something helpful.

bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
... if it helps narrow your search, the most likely channels we would have caught a movie on as children would have been the Hallmark channel or the Lifetime Movie Channel (possibly but not likely TMC)
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good move. Anything at all will help.

Hmm... don't Hallmark and Lifetime have a list of the movies they've shown?

bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
Not one that i've been able to track down and use. But yes, somewhere someone might be better at googling for it than me and able to get it.

I talked to my sister. She was of limited help.
She said that the little girl had help doing whatever it was she was doing and mentioned leprechauns.
Here's where it gets - complicated?
She said that there was fog throughout the movie and this was bad fog, she also said that the girl had to go to an ilsand and dig someone up in a graveyard. She again mentioned the treehouse and unicorn.
I don't remeber anyone being dug up from a graveyard. The mist (or fog) and island are all possibilities.
She then said it was possible we are all just remembering different snippets of different movies and putting them together.
Someone once suggested (on a different message board) that this was an episode of the twighlight zone.
to put things in better understanding when this movie first came up we were discussing old movies such as:
The Last Unicorn
Labrynth
Dark Crystal
Never Ending Story

then she asks "what one is the one where the town only comes around like every 100 years?"
and i said Brigadoon
and then she asked about the maypole children dancing. She is under the impression that the maypole children only come with the fog every 100 years.

So now that you are on information overload. Hopefully something was helpful. [Smile]

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
im really trying to get what this is too now and its now become an obsession for me.
there was an episode of the twilight zone from what youve described.

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
the only movie i can think of with a maypole in it is the wicker man
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmmm....
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
oneyedwilly - what episode of the twighlight zone? if I could watch it that might be it.

one more thing.... my sis says there was this tree that the girl (or magical friends) carved a symbol on and when she came back from her quest/journey thing the tree had aged (a LOT) it was huge and stuff.

and yes, the wicker man has been suggested several times (on other message boards) so I rented it - and what i'm looking for is definately not the wicker man.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
and i said Brigadoon
"I saw the rain-dirty valley... you saw Brigadoon."

quote:
and yes, the wicker man has been suggested several times (on other message boards) so I rented it - and what i'm looking for is definately not the wicker man.
I did some more searching last night, but had no luck. Have you asked on the IMDB yet?
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie you are looking for may be Return of the Native. If this is the movie you are looking for, then some of your "memories" of the film are skewed.

The movie is actually an adaptation of a the Thomas Hardy classic novel, and it takes place on the moors in England. It was a Hallmark presentation made in the early 90's, I believe, and it starred Catherine Zeta Jones and Clive Owen. There are some scenes similar to what you describe - with the bridge and the water. No unicorn though, but there is a scene with a lot of fog and a white horse. Zeta-Jones' character is accused of being a witch, and there are some scences with villagers dancing around the maypole.

Here's a YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWeFfZq-0QU
(go to 1:15 to see the "unicorn scene, and 2:49 for the bridge)

And an IMDB desciption:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110977/

I hope that helps...I know it doesn't quite fit your description, but I've found that sometimes our memories of a film are really an amalgamation of more than one film, or a bit distorted from the reality.

[ 01. May 2010, 21:32: Message edited by: saturnchick ]

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
... and she returns from Saturn with a gleaming suggestion!

I really hope this is it. It would be nice for someone on the Rewind to have identified the movie.

quote:
I hope that helps...I know it doesn't quite fit your description, but I've found that sometimes our memories of a film are really an amalgamation of more than one film, or a bit distorted from the reality.
This is very very true.
bethguy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8842

Rate Member
I watched the clip of "Return of the Native"
where as it might be the "unicorn" scene my sister is remembering the bridge scene is wrong.

I mentioned that in my searching i found someone else looking. here is that post:

I must know the name of this movie it had a girl who went to live with her aunt or something in a house with a ton of clocks, and there was a maypole that these ghost like people would dance around from an underground world. I think I remember their being british accents. Um... there was also a boat she rode to go back in time as she passed through a tunnel. There was a tree carving... I must know the name of this movie its driving me crazy. Anyone know? email me mnirj

thanks for the help and suggestion. it was nice to see Clive Owen in soething a little less... shoot'em up.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home