iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Tuff Turf (1985) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tuff Turf (1985)
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"How many bullets are left in this gun, Nick? Enough for Morgan? For my father? For everybody else who doesnt fit in your turf?"

I totally love to watch "Tuff Turf" late at night (especially lately!).. it just has that dark edgy feel to it. Probably because of the opening scene to the Marianne Faithfull tune "Love Hates" that just draws you into the darkness!

-

Oh and if you don't know what I'm talking about..

Jimmy Spader plays Morgan Hiller who is this ultra-cool Connecticut transplant relegated to a rough L.A. high school because his dad has run on hard times. Speaking of hard times Morgan quickly runs afoul of bad boy Nick who considers his girlfriend Frankie his personal property. Morgan see things a bit differently and pursues Frankie while still finding time to hangout with his new buddy Jimmy who just happens to play drums for Jim Carroll.

It's Too Late - The Jim Carroll Band

My favorite scene is when Frankie is doing her best to act proper while eating dinner at Morgan's parents house. Kim Richards looked great!

And the aforementioned scene at the warehouse when Jim Carroll was singing and Robert Downey Jr. was slamming on the drums had an incredible vibe.

-

"I don't think you can hold onto anything until you let it go."

[ 24. January 2012, 17:36: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Valley~another blast from the past on this movie. It's one of those that's so bad it's good! James Spader-great. I could have totally lived without his serenade to Frankie at the country club. I feel embarrassed for him [Smile]

I also contributed to the blooper page here about that dancing double for Frankie at the club. There's also a body double for something else in the film....

Kim Richards, first remember her from Escape to Witch Mountain. Was in the movie Black Snake Moan-mainly because someone involved in the film had a crush [Smile]

Had a friend that worked at the Video Nook in the 80's, so saw many movies-some like this over and over-so many times she gave me a poster for it.

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of the first movies I rented and I watched it over & over until I finally found a copy on DVD at a supermarket. It's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine but I haven't watched it in years.

I still have the cassette soundtrack and a Jim Carrol LP that I bought because it has songs from the soundtrack on it.
Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Look son.. Life isn't a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be lived.. so live it!"
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still haven't seen this one it's in my wishlist....I bought the New Kids with Spader and I should have got this instead!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, if you had plans this weekend, cancel them. The only thing you should do this weekend is find Tuff Turf and watch it. I think the rest of the gang will back me up on this.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James Spader rockin' out on the piano is awesome.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
Muffy, if you had plans this weekend, cancel them. The only thing you should do this weekend is find Tuff Turf and watch it. I think the rest of the gang will back me up on this.

Ok i'm on it....isn't it hard to find?

I remember finding Turk 180 something and for a sec thinking i'd found Tuff Turf secondhand. [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turk 182, haha, I can see that happening. I don't know if the Tuff Turf dvd went out of print or not. hmm. Good thing you have cleared your entire weekend to set out on this quest, you might need that much time to find it [Big Grin]
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started a record album score topic in the music forum-but saved this find for here!

-
 -

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
ooooooooo, I'm jealous! Look at that pic on the back cover, top left, hahaha [Big Grin]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Cool find Bamersy.. have you been sifting through my album stash again?

I actually have the "Tuff Turf" LP in a wooden Record Bar crate in one of my bedroom closets. I don't have a turntable hooked up anymore, but just couldn't part with my old sountracks like Valley Girl, Vision Quest, Footloose, The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, etc.

I have about 30 laserdiscs in the same crate. I still have the laserdisc player hooked up though...

The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also got the vinyl because the tracks are great and you can't get it on CD, just vinyl & tape. I used a friends expensive turntable setup to digitize in the tracks, with a little hiss & pop filtering the tracks sound CD quality.

Two of the tracks can't be found on any other CD/LP/tape anywhere, these ae the tracks I like the most; Lene Lovich - Breakin' All The Rules, & Marianne Faithful - Love Hates.

BTW, have you all noticed just how badly composed the cover image is? take a close look at the faces of the characters in the background...

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I ordered this dvd this week should get it any day kindof excited to see what all the hype is [Smile]
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tuff Turf...where reputations are earned.

Truer words were never spoken.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy.. I definitely wouldn't go into watching "Tuff Turf" with incredibly high expectations. Yes.. several of us really enjoy this movie, but most of those people are either huge Kim Richards fans or watched the movie in the 80's.

Watching it now.. let me put it this way.. I convinced Cindy Mancini to watch it several years ago and her thread title afterwards was .. "Tuff To Watch".. OUCH!!

With that said... this is one of my fav movies to breakout for a late night viewing!

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuff Turf is a fantastic movie for any true 80s lover.
I´m sure that Muffy will love it [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
ooooooooo, I'm jealous! Look at that pic on the back cover, top left, hahaha [Big Grin]

Me too. I want that album!
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This film is just dear to my heart. I like a lot of the other 80's street movies too like ALphabet City, etc. but there's just something about this film I have a soft spot for. Wether it's Spader, Richards or Nick Hauser, I just find it fun. Gotta love Tuff Turf!
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James spader has done great jobs or being a dark, brooding character...and yes that piano scene is just to cool for school.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Watching it now.. let me put it this way.. I convinced Cindy Mancini to watch it several years ago and her thread title afterwards was .. "Tuff To Watch".. OUCH!!

With that said... this is one of my fav movies to breakout for a late night viewing!

^This is true^

It has a tacky b-movie quality to it. But that's part of what makes it good. If you don't expect 'class' you'll have fun!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I've finally watched Tuff Turf....I had good company and got a bit distracted [Smile]

but it was so much fun for us to laugh at the cheesy dance moves....the music and sweet love story between Morgan and Frankie.

Jim Carroll was pretty awesome too.....it had a good mix of everything I love about 80's movies.

I'm really glad I watched it.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Like I said.. Muffy will love "Tuff Turf". ha

The warehouse scenes with The Jim Carroll Band were wicked.

Robert Downey Jr. was great as Morgan's pal.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Always loved the scene where the dude pulls out the red spray paint and sprays it in Morgan's face (sunglasses).

Never realized what the slur he called Morgan meant until today because I always thought he said Mighty Kong..

"Rain from heaven..."

Maybe I should use that quote less! ha

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hahaah, I love that you are carrying the torch on this thread, Val. You know I love this one too.

I'm reminded of a cd a friend gave me a long time ago, kind of a mixtape type of thing. Anyway, I didn't know what was on it and the only writing on the disc was:

"Let me see your blade."
"You'll never use it."
"Come on, maybe I want to clean my teeth, all right?"

[Big Grin]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Secret Admirer.. How awesome was Robert Downey Jr. in this movie?

And get this.. XM Radio played Jimmy Carroll's "People Who Died" on the way home tonight.

btw.. where's Bamersy to remind us how incredible "We Walk The Night" is for her?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home