iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Who's the girl on the cover of Valley Girl VHS tape?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's the girl on the cover of Valley Girl VHS tape?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bamersy eluded to the fact that girl on the cover of the "Valley Girl" VHS tape doesn't look like Deborah Foreman did in the movie. And skatexedge gave his opinion (which is widely accepted) that the girl on the cover isn't really Deborah Foreman, but possibly Tina Theberge who played Randy's ex-girlfriend Samantha in the movie.. then there is my opinion .. I think it was suppose to be Deborah Foreman, but the artist just had a bad picture of her to work off of to develop the cover... where did that outfit she's wearing come from anyway?

So let's conjure up some debate Rewind style.. what is your opinion?

Here is a picture of VHS, the movie poster, and screenshot from my future 80's Movie Network..

VHS

-

Movie Poster

-

80's Movie Network

-

Oh and while we are discussing the cover .. let's talk about what we really think Julie said to Stacey before they got in the car when leaving Suzi's party.

Deborah Foreman claims it was "Randy is skillish, okay".. what?? The subtitles on the DVD reads "But the rating scale is okay".. double what?? I think it was suppose to be "But Randy's friend looks okay", but got flubbed and with the tight budget on the movie they just went with it..

Come on.. let's get some ideas here!

[ 12. April 2010, 10:17: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered about who the girl was too. Heather Thomas?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was just a terrible job by the artist and it is supposed to be Foreman.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does look like Samantha's face-I just always thought they did the cover as someone's "ideal" Valley Girl. Julie was way more down to Earth, nowhere near the vacant ditz on the cov!
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bamersy:
It does look like Samantha's face-I just always thought they did the cover as someone's "ideal" Valley Girl. Julie was way more down to Earth, nowhere near the vacant ditz on the cov!

Maybe they messed up that line too .. at least for the girl on the box cover: "She's got the bod, but her brains are bad news."

ya think? ha

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor job by the artist

Anyone else know of any other movie posters,video/dvd case art that show the actors from the film that looking nothing like them???

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine they wouldn't put the two main characters on the front cover...then say..."She's cool. He's hot. She's from the valley. He's not." In quotes directly beside them. Hmmm...maybe the artist got the job and skimmed through the movie on fast forward...too lazy to watch the whole thing...Definitely a poor job by the artist, but what I don't understand is...how could the execs of a movie receive this as a final product and say..."Wow...that's perfect!" I just don't get it....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this on google/amazon looks pretty recent:

-

Now THAT'S Julie!

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my trashy tabloid take on it....

I heard a recent radio interview deb did and she mentioned something about Martha Coolidge not being thrilled by her for the part of Julie but that the producers really pushed for her. Maybe martha's opinion of deb influenced the making of the poster?? Hmmmm, ya never know.....

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was just a bad artists rendition but also could have supposed been a generic "valley girl" haha we will neeeeevvvvvver knowwwww ooooooooo [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be a bad artist's airbrush. Soooo with all of Nic Cage's legal/tax problems will he be more than sucseptible to sit with producers for Valley Girl part 2?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Deborah Foreman claims it was "Randy is skillish, okay".. what?? The subtitles on the DVD reads "But the rating scale is okay".. double what?? I think it was suppose to be "But Randy's friend looks okay", but got flubbed and with the tight budget on the movie they just went with it..
The term "skill / skillful" was common enough at the time of Valley Girl. I remember people would describe anything good as "skill"; "Duran Duran are skill".
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really need to watch Valley Girl again.
I only have this very old vhs tape, i mean this is almost antique [Smile]

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
aTomik.. back in the early 90's.. that VHS tape was like 80's gold. "Valley Girl" went out-of-print and it seemed like it was forever until they release it again on DVD.

It got to the point where I was on my last VHS copy and it was getting so bad .. I had to ration my viewings because the tape could break at any moment.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
aTomik.. back in the early 90's.. that VHS tape was like 80's gold. "Valley Girl" went out-of-print and it seemed like it was forever until they release it again on DVD.
Amen! I guarded my Valley Girl video like Daffy Duck guarding treasure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTwfw3-SOc

quote:
I had to ration my viewings because the tape could break at any moment.
Video is easy to repair! You usually end up losing a few seconds of the movie. I had to mend many a videotape.

"She's cool. He's hot. She's from the Valley. He's not."

The second part of that meant nothing to people outside the US in the early 80's!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, can I please upgrade my cable service to include the 80's Movie Network?!?! Thanks.....

NICE JOB Valley!!! I wish it were a reality!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dunno
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80steenmovies
Rewind Curious
Member # 8837

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 80steenmovies   Author's Homepage   Email 80steenmovies       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could have been artist rendition before actress was set in stone.

in any case, reminds me of the sweet valley high books from the 80s. love it all.

Posts: 3 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home