iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Shag: The Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shag: The Movie
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Shag: The Movie" was on MGMHD today.. the word that best describes this movie is probably 'cute'.

Fun flick that is loaded with great 80's actors..Phoebe Cates, Bridget Fonda, Annabeth Gish, and Robert Rusler to name a few.

I think it appeals to me because I spent many nights with friends in Myrtle Beach, SC as a teenager. A friend and I actually thought about moving there for the summer when we turned 21. We never made the move, but took two vacations there that summer. And anyone that knows me will tell you that I love to dance. Not sure about a Shag Contest, but I'll try anything once.

I originally watched this movie because I'm a huge fan of Phoebe Cates, but Annabeth Gish actually steals this film in my opinion. And Robert Rusler was excellent in several 80's flicks and you can add this movie to his list that includes Weird Science, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Thrashin', and Vamp.

Anyone?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disgusting. Filthy.

You realise that 'Shag' in the UK is the same as 'Screw'?

I haven't watched it in years. I recall it being quite good.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw trailer about a month ago but never seen the movie.
I might get the dvd someday.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logan5 .. technically in the 80's .. I thought "Shag" mean't the same thing in the US.. however, this movie is set in 1963, so maybe that is why it is a name for a dance. If this helps.. the movie "Spring Break" or "Hardbodies" could have easily been named "Shag" and it I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

Before anyone goes out and gets this movie.. I'd prefer that you hear from Jessie whom I know loves this flick!

I want to add that Scott Coffey who Paul will know quite well as Ray from "Some Kind of Wonderful" is great as Robert Rusler's buddy in "Shag".

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic Valley!!! This is one of my favorites. It has a great soundtrack, great cast, and let's face it a great story. I kind of have to agree about Annabeth Gish stealing the show. You just want her to get her way finally and then she does and it is pure magic. I actually loved Bridget Fonda's character name, Malaina Buller, I named a cat of mine that once. For some reason it didn't end up sticking so she was renamed Dolly.

The music was so well placed in this as well. I had the soundtrack at one point and I played it over and over again. I loved the Monkey song. This is always a fun flick to watch around Labor Day weekend. The movie is set around the same time. Oh thanks for bringing this one up Valley, I am going to have to watch it again really soon. I absolutely loved it! Oh also can you imagine how popular the name Carson became after this one.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this about 5 years ago, and remember only a few things about it. I do remember that I liked it well enough. Even though it wasn't set in the 80s.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"......and the leaves came tumbling down"
 -

I get so excited everytime that "Stagger Lee" starts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9WACDEBV4

I watched this and 'Where the Boys Are 84' as a double feature yesterday.I love both movies so much.

Someone seriously tell me though......The soundtrack they released??? I swear those songs aren't even in the movie? right? Someone wrote this on amazon:

........"the newer DVD version opens with a song from this Soundtrack. Virtually none of the classic sixties songs that we all know and love from the Original are played in the new version of the movie. It's upsetting really. At least I was a little confused. So basically, this is the Official Soundtrack of the new DVD version of the movie, not the original. I'm guessing some copyright/money issues proved difficult to overcome when transferring the film the DVD. Some TV shows do the same thing; they mess with the song listings to avoid problematic situations............"""

for a fact I know they are wrong because this Soundtrack came out when the movie was released in the 80's and I always thought it made no sense??? so is the DVD versions music stupid? I own the VHS.....and it rocks!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have the original vhs with the original music used in the film. the dvd release used different music in some parts and it just threw the whole movie off for me.

i have the soundtrack for the movie, including some the other songs that were used in the film (and the dvd version) but i do not have the songs that the sand dollars sing, their versions of Stay and Sixty Minute Man.

when i watch Shag, it has to be the 1986 vhs version. they released a newer vhs version (the picture that valley posted above) but that was the most horrible transfer ever. so i ended up ordering a copy of the original.. the artwork is way better as well!
 -

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so get this I have that 97' version of the vhs and when it's time to show the music credits it quits and doesn't list them? omg this is driving me crazy and I want an explanation!

Is it really because of money hungry people with music rights that a movie I loves DVD has to suck!!!???? I'm really glad I didn't buy the DVD.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I'm gonna watch this for a second time tonight. I liked it the first time, but it's been so long, it will be like the first time [Smile]

edit: Yeah, after another viewing, it still remains the same. A very good movie - great cast - lots of fun! I'm a sucker for teen flicks, no matter what decade they are in. It's a bonus that the early 60s was an amazing time for music, and Myrtle Beach was where it was at! There were no bad characters in this one - everyone was excellent.

[ 13. August 2010, 20:34: Message edited by: Secret Admirer ]

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myrtle Beach Sun Fun Festival, 1963.

Just watched Shag and holy pyjamas i loved it!

I´m glad that i have the old VHS tape with the original tunes
because they are playing the golden oldies nonstop.

I loved the cast, everyone´s just fantastic.
Phoebe "goddess" Cates and Robert Rusler, Rusler used all the tricks in the book to get her [Smile]
Always great Scott Coffey and lovely Annabeth Gish, some serious moves on the dance floor!
Page Hannah and Tyrone Power Jr, take those glasses off, Page!
Bridget Fonda and her hilarious "flag dance"
Hot Leilani Sarelle and cool Jeff Yagher as Jimmy Valentine and his "Elvis is over" talk.

Highly recommended!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Holy Pajamas!!! took you long enough!!!

I'm glad you really enjoyed it Atomik!

looking back at what I wrote....crazy that I just found out yesterday Where the Boys Are 84 was released to DVD this year.....i'm on that...

It's always fun watching summer films in the winter [Smile]

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, I am happy you mentioned 'Where The Boys Are 84' coming to dvd. I am a big fan of the original and own it! I've never seen the '84 version. So it would be awesome to watch it with 'Shag' back to back. [Smile]

Love 'Shag!' The handsome Robert Rusler as Buzz...his character is so cool, but I agree that Annabeth Gish as Pudge,... her character is adorable!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

looking back at what I wrote....crazy that I just found out yesterday Where the Boys Are 84 was released to DVD this year.....i'm on that...

It's always fun watching summer films in the winter [Smile] [/QB]

Wooohoooo! Skatexedge is stoked to finally get WTBA 84 on DVD. I saw that one in the theater back in the day and fully enjoyed it! Thanks for the info Muffy!!
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home