iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Dream A Little Dream (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dream A Little Dream
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Thank you for a frightening, confusing, strange and dangerous time."

I must admit when I first watched "Dream A Little Dream" as a teenager it just didn't quite resonate with me. I loved Corey Haim and Corey Feldman in "The Lost Boys" and "License Drive", but I struggled at the time with the concept of "Dream A Little Dream". However, my opinion has changed dramatically as I've grown older. This movie is actually a dysfunctional 80's hidden gem.

The Coreys are a bit wacky at times and Feldman's tribute to Michael Jackson just seems out of place, but otherwise their performances are quite entertaining. Jason Robards and Piper Laurie almost make the thought of getting older seem less painful.

-

"Dream A Little Dream" has become a movie that I now appreciate and the performance of Meredith Salenger as Lainie is one of the major reasons. Most people remember her best as Natty Gann, but for me it is this flick.

"When you're young, every little thing seems so big. "

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always loved this movie!! I'm a big fan of the Coreys 80's movies, and I think they were pretty good in this, but I also love the older actors too, like Jason Robards and Harry Dean Stanton. The secondary characters were memorable too - especially Lanie's beyotch mother and that Dumas guy. Corey Feldman's MJ impressions are hilariously bad!! Especially during the end credits when Feldman does a little "dance off" with Robards (and the gym scene of course). The soundtrack is awesome too. What other 80's teen movie features a Van Morrison song??

I think one of the other big reasons I love this movie is because I did dance class when I was a kid, and in 5th grade the song we did for our recital was the 80's version of "Dream a Little Dream" from this movie.

Valley, did you notice "The Lost Boys" movie poster hanging in Corey Feldman's bedroom?

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica...I totally missed The Lost Boys poster! Now I want to watch it again..it has been about 3 months since I broke it out originally.

"Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison is an incredible tune.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to watch it again too...It's been awhile since I've seen it.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like this one too.
A little bit different kind of teen flick.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie - to its credit, tried to do something a little different. Not entirely sure the whole thing works, though.

It would never have occurred to me to try and impress Natty Gann by dressing up and dancing like Michael Jackson! Mouth knew better! Just a shame Lucas had a broken leg and couldn't join in.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Logan5 .. hilarious!

But if you're so depressed, how come you're eating pizza?

I agree that "Dream a Little Dream" is searching to be something different and doesn't always work, but overall it is a good movie.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But if you're so depressed, how come you're eating pizza?!"

Heartbreaking!

What did you think of "Dream a Little Dream 2"? I never saw it... I don't think.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:

What did you think of "Dream a Little Dream 2"? I never saw it... I don't think.

Let me start by saying that I've always been a fan of Robyn Lively, but overall... "Dream a Little Dream 2" is like watching a trainwreck in my opinion. To call it a sequel to the original is a stretch.
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember just DYING to see Dream a Little Dream. Boy was I disappointed! I loved the Coreys in the Lost Boys and License to Drive...bu Dream a Little Dream did nothing for me. Maybe I didn't understand it? The Encore channel is good for showing 80s movies...maybe they'll show it sometime and I can watch it again. See if I change my mind.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Pettyfan... I totally understand what you are saying. The first time I watched "Dream a Little Dream" I was more confused than anything. I recommend giving it another chance. I don't think it is a good as "The Lost Boys" or even "License To Drive", but it has a uniqueness that I now appreciate.
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie rules but it definitely suffers from being too hard to follow on one watch only. That's why it gets horrible reviews I think. People expected business as usual with the two coreys and they were hit with a metaphysical love story instead.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
This might be hard for Corey Haim fans that are struggling to bring themselves to watch his movies just yet, but today is actually Meredith Salenger's 40th birthday .. so my plan is to watch "Dream A Little Dream" later tonight.

I've been planning it for awhile as a tribute to her.. I saw an interview that she did the other day where she stated that she had been woke up twice in her life to incredibly heartwrenching news. The other day with regard to Corey Haim and several years back when River Phoenix passed away. Wow.. [Frown]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
"A strong power of suggestion planted in a tender young mind by a clever young man with a novel approach to stealing his friend's girl"
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So so glad to see people talking about this movie. It was possible the LAST great 80s movies i saw as it was made in 1989. And like many other 15 yr old boys, i too fell in love with meredith. Its got a tremendous soundtrack which im sure gets as many sales as the movie itself.
HEH
what was that heh sound bobby
you know heh - thats how i laugh - heh
who laughs like that

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
It was possible the LAST great 80s movies i saw as it was made in 1989
'Pump Up the Volume', 'Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead'. There were a couple left over at the end of the 80's.

quote:
i too fell in love with meredith.
She likes to be called 'Natty Gann'. Honest.

quote:
Its got a tremendous soundtrack which im sure gets as many sales as the movie itself.
I think the Michael Damian version of 'Rock On' got to # 1 in the US.
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this movie last night for the first time in over 10 years! And I enjoyed it just as much as when I was a kid. I actually appreciated it more.

The music in this movie is great. It's so wonderfully 80's!

And you can't go wrong with the two Corey's!

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many people hate this movie. I just love it, always have. There are a lot of good characters and a story I get and enjoy. I guess there's no movie with Harry Dean Stanton in it that I don't like.

The Feldman-bleacher dance routine doesn't hurt either!

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
The Feldman-bleacher dance routine doesn't hurt either!
THE PAIN!!!
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i must admit, the dance feldman does is awful and i found it hard to watch even at 15...but i think it wasnt supposed to be great in any way at all. It tool me a couple of dollars renting it twice to figure out what the hell was going on and eventually i just enjoyed the relationship between dumos, joel, bobby and dinger.
ive got dreams, dreams to remember (remember), ive got dreaeeeeeems, dreeeeeeams to remember.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, the whole MJ dance thing kinda threw me off. It wasn't my favorite scene, but it wasn't too bad, a little uncomfortable.

Interesting factoid that I didn't know, apparently Corey Haim had a broken leg in real life and they wrote it into the script.

Man, the soundtrack to this movie is so amazing...I was bummed to discover that it isn't available on i-Tunes.

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Two Lost Souls.. welcome to The Rewind.

For me... "Dream A Little Dream" gets better as you get older and appreciate the adult characters in the movie a little more. As a kid .. I was expecting just a cute teen romantic comedy and I struggled to grasp the entire concept of this film at that point. Watching "Dream A Little Dream" now makes me see it a complex, but entertaining gem with a great mixture of tunes that I want to crank up the volume on while watching.

I have always seen Feldman's Michael Jackson tribute as misguided, but after the recent loss of MJ and Corey Haim I appreciate it a little more. Plus.. the looks Meredith Salenger gives him during the performance makes it all worth it!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
the looks Meredith Salenger gives him during the performance makes it all worth it!
Her reactions are great! It's almost like she's thinking... "I think you're cute. And the fact that I can watch this horrendous dance and still think you're cute must mean I like you a lot!"

It is interesting how - because the characters in the movie don't age - we can find ourselves gradually relating to the older cast more and more. Then again... Jason Robards was always a cool guy.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Totally agree logan5.. Salenger's thoughts and Robards coolness!
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Two Lost Souls.. welcome to The Rewind.

For me... "Dream A Little Dream" gets better as you get older and appreciate the adult characters in the movie a little more. As a kid .. I was expecting just a cute teen romantic comedy and I struggled to grasp the entire concept of this film at that point. Watching "Dream A Little Dream" now makes me see it a complex, but entertaining gem with a great mixture of tunes that I want to crank up the volume on while watching.

Thanks for the welcome! This place is pretty cool!

I totally agree with your comment. The movie has more meaning as you get older. I understood the older couple more then I did when I was a kid.

And, yes, Jason Robards was an awesome guy!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home