iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » MOVIE OF THE WEEK: PLATOON

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MOVIE OF THE WEEK: PLATOON
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so it has been many years since I saw this film. I actually remember my best friend's mom taking us to see this when we were 12 and thinking it was a masterpiece. But I am not sure if I only thought that at the time because I was told it was a masterpiece. Isn't it funny how we remember certain movies that we see in the theater and even remember who we were with and what we were wearing. This is about the only fond memory of this one for me.

Does anyone have anything that sticks out about this film that they wish to discuss?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best part was when Frank Drebin and and Jane Spencer were coming out of the movie theatre laughing. Just brilliant.

Seriously though, not a masterpiece Jessie. A good war movie, sure, fine, okay, but you truly aren't remembering it wrong either. There was a lot of press for this..."the most relaistic depiction of the Vietnam War...made by a veteran...sobering...yadda, yadda, yadda...I laughed, I cried, I kissed $3 bucks goodbye..."

I think it was so very fashionable at that time to call this movie a masterpiece. Doesn't much stand up though does it? That's not me being petty either. There are two Vietname era movies that are true masterpieces as movies as well. Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. As watchable today as they were 25-30 years ago. See those two.

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessie, what I remember about "Platoon" was all the buzz it received and it had won like four Academy Awards...so my expectations were extremely high when I rented the video one night. Overall, a very good movie, but by no means Oscar worthy in my opinion. I agree with Earl that Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket are both excellent films.

Another movie that is long forgotten, but I kind of like from the 80's was "Casualties of War" with Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so would have put Casualties of War Valley, but for some odd reason, watching Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket don' bother me and I just love them, but Casualties of War kind of upsets me to watch today and I am a 40 year old guy from a corn town in Illinois. I used to love Halloween movies and still do (the old ones), but it is the same reason I had to turn off H2 (Zombies sequel) the other night after less than 10 minutes. I just can't stand to watch cruelty any more...must just be getting old. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
I will say though, it is one of the better MJ Fox and Sean Penn movies out there...it is a good one. I will just have to close my eyes for a few scenes so I don't break my TV trying to defend fictional characters. [Razz]
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen pieces of Apocalypse Now and all of Full Metal Jacket, at some point. I am just not a big fan of war movies. They are all great in some aspect, you definitely have to be in the mood to watch them that is for sure.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved this movie and have an interest in all Vietnam movies. Agree that Full Metal Jacket is really good also but I liked how Platoon started out in Vietnam and skipped the bootcamp. The Anderson Platoon was somewhat interesting and Hamburger Hill.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Platoon was released 35 years ago Dec 19. It pulled in 138 million to date
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home