iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Top Secret w' Val Kilmer (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top Secret w' Val Kilmer
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys...anybody see this one. I've actually never heard of it, so wondering if it's any good. Seen it today at a local store for $5, but passed on it...should I rush back to buy it, or leave it right where it is. * I know what you're thinking..come on Kev...it's only five bucks...just get it and find out for yourself. Well, as I've previously posted, me and my wife put ourselves on an allowance system, and as I often was as a teenager (spending my allowance as soon as I got it)...I was flat broke! Allowance day is Thursday!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Goodbye Deja Vu, I'll always remember you.
....And I'll miss you most of all Scarecrow!"

No way to review this movie..people that accept its spoof wackiness love it, but others have been known to add it to the $5 bin with hopes you'll pick it up. Most will agree though that Val Kilmer is hilarious in it.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's from the makers of 'Airplane'/'The Naked Gun'/'Hot Shots'. Set in the late 50's/early 60's; about an American rock singer who gets caught up in a plot by a resistance movement to free a kidnapped scientist.

If you like the style of comedy the Zucker Brothers make, then you'll love Top Secret.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An underrated gem. There's so many priceless moments, from the East German's Women's Olympic Team, to Omar Sharif getting crushed into his car--and walking around afterwards with it still encased around him, to one of the craziest shootouts captured on film (the best part being Kilmer's impromptu tic-tac-toe game with the East Germans), to the world's first climactic underwater barroom brawl, with nice spoofs of The Blue Lagoon and The Great Escape thrown in, as well as numerous great sight gags. By all means pick it up if you have the funds.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blockbuster Entertainment along with Leonard Maltin give it not bad reviews, kevdugp73, thence I should say that you would get some laughs out of "Top Secret" and it would be worth buying.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top Secret is one of the best comedies ever made.
Much better than Airplane or any other ZAZ flick and don´t get me wrong, i like all of them.

Val Kilmer is awesome, truly oscar worthy material
(sadly they hardly ever notice this kind of stuff)

Go and get it kev, i´m sure you will love it.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Echo that. Gotta go get it. At five bucks, I'm surprised you didn't take a punt on it anyway....

[THINKS OUT LOUD]There should be a price level below which any member should be legally bound to purchase any 80s DVD they find...[/THINKS OUT LOUD]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeesh...I wasn't sure if I should even take time to respond in the forum, or run frantically out the door to go get it! Thanks for the quick response guys. And Paul...didn't you read the part about my allowance [Frown] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

It's been a hard days night, and I've been working like a dog... The best Horse song ever.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I know a little German. He's sitting over there. "

"I'm not the first guy who fell in love with a woman that he met at a restaurant who turned out to be the daughter of a kidnapped scientist only to lose her to her childhood lover who she last saw on a deserted island who then turned out fifteen years later to be the leader of the French underground."

Excellent movie........

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P a u l:
[THINKS OUT LOUD]There should be a price level below which any member should be legally bound to purchase any 80s DVD they find...[/THINKS OUT LOUD]

I have a baseball bat. We can make this happen! It's for their own good!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

I acknowledge I may not want to know nthe answer to this, but.... you're english, what are you doing owning a baseball bat? That's the 21st century equivalent of some seventies bloke saying he has a shooter and a transit van....
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I acknowledge I may not want to know nthe answer to this, but.... you're english, what are you doing owning a baseball bat? That's the 21st century equivalent of some seventies bloke saying he has a shooter and a transit van....
Ok I admit it: I lied. I don't own a baseball bat. I don't even own a cricket bat. Though if I were to choose an implement to deliver a beating I think baseball bats are far more aerodynamic and 'swingy' than cricket bats (I made up the word 'swingy' - like it?)

I do, however, have a 70's bloke with a shooter and a transit van.*

*Clearly - another lie. 'Life on Mars'?

sheena
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5620

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for sheena   Email sheena   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I know a little German. He's sitting over there. "

"I'm not the first guy who fell in love with a woman that he met at a restaurant who turned out to be the daughter of a kidnapped scientist only to lose her to her childhood lover who she last saw on a deserted island who then turned out fifteen years later to be the leader of the French underground."

Haha Paul, I was going to say the exact same quotes but you beat me....it is a awesome movie, one of my faves!

Posts: 56 | From: London,UK | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I went back to the store to pick up "Top Secret"...it was gone! However, went to a used book store, which also sells DVDs...and it was there. The fact that this movie was even in either of these two places was a miracle...I was meant to own it [Wink] Hopefully get a chance to watch it soon. Also have made a pact with myself...if there's an 80's movie that I don't have and it costs $5...I WILL BUY IT! That being said...got License To Drive at the same time...$5.
Zombo
Rewinder
Member # 8405

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zombo   Email Zombo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How do we know he's not... Mel Torme?"

Saw this one in the theaters back in the early '80s...loved it then, love it now. I enjoyed the comedic performance of Omar Sharif. Seeing Dr. Zhivago squashed inside of a car...really too funny!

Posts: 32 | From: Monroeville Mall | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
"This is *not* Mel Torme!"

"What phony dog poo?"

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What is the condition of Sergeant Kruger? Yes, I see. Well, inform me if there is any change in his condition. (hangs up) He's dead."
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watched this one last night. had never seen all of it before. it was awesome! [Big Grin]

i wonder if it's still going for 5 bucks?

it's officially one of the funniest movies i have ever seen. i am surprised it's not more well known...besides here, of course.

[ 01. January 2011, 12:41: Message edited by: Ronnie ]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie.. I think that this thread alone has probably jacked the price back up to say $9.99

Did you watch it on Netflix? I have it in my instant queue, but have yet to watch it again.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Tonight:

NICK RIVERS
also
STEVIE WONDER
LINDA RONSTADT
and time permitting
FRANK SINATRA

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valley, i didn't know it was on netflix...that's great, because i can watch it again, if i want. [Smile]

it was on cable last night. don't remember the channel, though.
we watched it while ringing in the new year, and scarfed on pizza. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I've seen it recently on DVD Ronnie...as part of a double feature, though I can't remember what the other movie was....still goin' pretty cheap. Shamefully, I started this thread a year ago, and have yet to watch the movie!
warriorwoman73
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for warriorwoman73   Email warriorwoman73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Top Secret" was very silly and the first movie in the theater I remember seeing Val Kilmer in - I believe it was his first big role. I still remember the whole "Skeet Surfing" part at the beginning where the chick gets up from lying facedown on the beach and there were two "holes" left behind from her enormous ta-tas. Too funny.
Posts: 22 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Dec 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.british-film-locations.com/Top-Secret-1984 - some of the British locations that they used in the shooting of the extremely funny Top Secret!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home