iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Aloha Summer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aloha Summer
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Journey just mentioned "Aloha Summer" as a movie that he'd like to see get a DVD release. Well with the temperature at 12 degrees tonight...I thought a thread reboot was in order...

-

Each year as summer comes toward an end, I always think about the movie "Aloha Summer". It is truly a hidden gem from the 80's. It is another of my out-of-print obscure movies, but here is why you should seek it out:

1. The film might be set in 1959, but with the locale of Hawaii and the timeless plot of teenagers from different cultures meshing and becoming friends for life makes for a great story.

2. How about Chris Makepeace from "Meatballs" and "My Bodyguard" fame in the lead role.

3. Did I say Hawaii? How about beach parties, bikinis, and hurricane surfing.

4. If you're a ninja fan, you get to see Shô Kosugi as the father of one of the teenagers.

5. The beginning of the movie is set to Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea", plus the movie soundtrack will remind you of last time you were at the beach.

6. How about Tia Carrere in one of her first roles?

7. This is a personal fav discovery for me.....Lorie Griffin who played the disenchanted Pamela Wells in "Teen Wolf", in a completely different and even likeable role in this flick.

8. Paradise.....check out that totally 80's pink hotel.

9. This movie will make you a fan of Don Michael Paul who is best known for the movie "Rich Girl" with Jill Schoelen.

10. Finally, it is one last chance to savor the end of summer, even if it is only last another 98 minutes.

[Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need to see this!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I see Don Michael Paul, which isn't often, I think Jeff Webber!

His first role in Lovelines is like a rookie showing up and being the MVP.

Aloha Summer is good 80s flashback film, but I haven't seen it in so long.

similar to North Shore? at least in the mainland guy dating the local girl?

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this one either and feels like I need too.
I loved Chris Makepeace after My Bodyguard. I love any 80's movies set in the 50's I know I even made a thread about that before haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spreadking:
Aloha Summer is good 80s flashback film, but I haven't seen it in so long.

similar to North Shore? at least in the mainland guy dating the local girl?

It has that, but it's more about the guys friendships and the cultural tensions they face by way of their parents. To me, it's more similar to The Sandlot or Book of Love than North Shore.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
journey..great summation.

"Aloha Summer" is often lumped in with "North Shore" and "Under the Boardwalk", but Aloha is just a far superior movie because of the things journey just mentioned.

I wish it would get a DVD release because my VHS tape is rather jumpy.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley I got this at Goodwill for 99 cents today....are you excited for me to watch it? I AM!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Totally awesome! And love the price.. let us know what you think as soon as you watch it.

Of all the vacation spots that I've been able to enjoy.. Hawaii is at the top of my list. Everyone should make the journey at least once in his/her lifetime. Perfect weather and beauty like I've never imagined!

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok Valley I watched the end of this.....I'm sorry I couldn't get into it. It was so slow moving for me. I do have to say the scenic views were great.....but I never got attached to the characters. I tried so hard to like it......but it was missing something.....then i'm like maybe it's because i'm a girl and it's about "guy friends" but they really didn't build that at all.......I never even knew how they were friends.....they just showed up in Hawaii......I feel bad I couldn't love it [Frown]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffy.. While I wish it had been a better experience for you, I'm just glad you didn't spend too much coin on it.

Hawaii is an incredible place, but the 80's movies that showcase it are quite limited. And though "North Shore" gets more mentions .. I totally appreciate "Aloha Summer" far more.

Some of the stuff you mentioned are true.. slower pace and kind of a 'guys' movie.. but I figured Chris Makepeace would pull it through for you.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just watched Aloha Summer and i liked it.
It was directed by Tommy Lee Wallace (Halloween III, Fright Night 2)

At first you think that this is a basic "teen holiday" flick
but it gets pretty serious every now and then.

The cast was great, especially Don Michael Paul, i loved the scenery and the soundtrack was cool.

Good movie!

-

[ 26. February 2012, 23:27: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home