iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What 80's Movies Do You Own On Blu-ray...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What 80's Movies Do You Own On Blu-ray...
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the folks that have jumped to Blu-ray...what are the movies you have added to your collection so far?

Here's a few I've purchased:

1. Night of the Creeps - the gold standard for what Blu-ray can offer..great picture, great sound, and incredible extras!

2. Dirty Dancing - great picture, 6.1 sound, and incredible extras

3. The Lost Boys - the regular DVD had excellent picture and sound. If you love the movie, I still recommend the upgrade though.

4. Ghostbusters - I only had this on VHS, so it was a nice addition.

5. Heathers - I haven't watched it yet, but you can ask Veronica Sawyer her thoughts.

6. Risky Business - great picture, good sound, and some unique extras only on Blu-ray.

7. First Blood - got it for $7.99. Great movie, but the transfer to Blu-ray was not that special.

8. The Monster Squad - a must for fans of this movie..which I'm only a marginal fan, but it got "The Night of the Creeps" treatment.

9. The Terminator - an upgrade from DVD, but I was hoping for more.

10. Road House - a guilty pleasure I picked up on Black Friday for $5.99. I thought you'd be bigger!

What is in your Blu-ray collection to this point?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 80's Blu-Rays are:

1. Gremlins
2. Purple Rain
3. Young Guns
4. Dirty Dancing
5. True Romance
6. First Blood
7. Rambo (FB 2)
8. Rambo 3
9. Beetlejuice
10. Lethal Weapon
11. Risky Business
12. The Lost Boys
13. Poltergeist

* Gremlins and The Lost Boys were both gifts (two of my favs) and I believe the only two that were more than $10. I tried resisting the conversion at first, simply refusing to pay the rediculous prices, but Lethal Weapon for $5...and the rest for $10...I can chew on that.

* My Blu-ray purchases will be primarily 80's, but I do have a few others...Star Trek 2009, The Dark Knight, Underworld, and Rocky...my wife has Twilight.

* Secretly still hoping this Blu-ray stuff all goes away...250+ 80's movies on DVD...dat's a lot of money!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thought...I'm guessing that by next Christmas, Lucus will release all 6 Star Wars movies on Blu-ray...all for the low low cost of....ONE MILLION DOLLARS! *I'll have to start saving now!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Secretly still hoping this Blu-ray stuff all goes away...250+ 80's movies on DVD...dat's a lot of money!

Don't worry kevdugp73 .. everything is going to 3-D in 2011 .. so plan on a new tv and all new discs of some sort..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Another thought...I'm guessing that by next Christmas, Lucus will release all 6 Star Wars movies on Blu-ray...all for the low low cost of....ONE MILLION DOLLARS! *I'll have to start saving now!

I'm not buying another Star Wars movie until I can watch it projected into my mind via an R2 unit...on the Millenium Falcon...whilst doing the Kessel Run, at less than 12 parsecs!

No Blu Ray for me either Kev: no time, space or Republic Credits. I was hyped about the clarity and lots of extras, until I realised that I've not seen a single extras disc on my LOTR Extended cuts, and I've had them for going on 5 years!

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kash...the Blu-ray for "Top Gun" is incredible! Just saying...

Oh and I'm totally up for that R2 unit Jedi mind projection trick.

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the "Heathers" blu-ray. Great sound and picture, and tons of extras.

The only other 80's blu-rays I have right now are "St. Elmo's Fire" and "The Lost Boys." Looking forward to buying the upcoming blu-ray release of "Nightmare on Elm Street" though.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Valley...when these new formats come out, the companies should give you cash credit for your regular DVDs as incentive for the serious collectors to covert!

Kash...I hear ya about the extras. I'm a die hard fan of 80's movies, but with a 3 year old, I'm excited to get through a the movie itself, let alone the time for extras. Not that I'm disinterested...just don't have the time. When this little critter is in regular school, I'm hopeful that I will one day explore some of these extras people are talking about! PS The way you are talking about Star Wars...you'll be in that line for the Blu-rays!

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas ......I've bought them for other people as gifts, but I have no blu-rays of any kind yet. [Frown]

I'm just waiting for the day of some announcement where something like Legend of Billie Jean will make it to blu-ray.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I'm just waiting for the day of some announcement where something like Legend of Billie Jean will make it to blu-ray.

Me too, Riptide! Hopefully, we won't all be in nursing homes when that finally does happen...
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Riptide..what about BTTF?...it is rumored for later this year for Blu-ray!

"It now happens that, through none other than The Digital Bits' Bill Hunt, there is confirmation [Rumor Mill, January 5] that the Back to the Future Trilogy will indeed come out on Blu-ray in 2010. Sources from Universal in the USA have assured him that it will finally come out this year."

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
Looking forward to buying the upcoming blu-ray release of "Nightmare on Elm Street" though.

One, two, Freddy's coming for you on April 6th. Three, four, better lock your door. Five, six, grab your crucifix. Seven, eight, better stay awake. Nine, ten, never sleep again.

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is quite dated these days, but the premise was original and creepy back in the 80's when it was released. Count me in..if I don't accidently fall asleep first....

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blade Runner
First Blood
Risky Business
Road House
The Shining
The Terminator
The Thing
Top Gun

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
none..Blu-Ray is Crap!
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home