iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Doctor Detroit (1983)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor Detroit (1983)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just watched Doctor Detroit again and i love it.
Dan Aykroyd is fantastic!

Co-starring Howard Hesseman, T.K. Carter and the beautiful ladies:
Donna Dixon, Fran Drescher, Lydia Lei and Lynn Whitfield.

Good soundtrack including Devo, Rick James
and James Brown, who also makes a special appearance in the flick.

Devo: "Theme From Doctor Detroit" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLY9UuGLlZI

-

The courtroom scene is great and i love the dance sequence at the hotel.
Too bad that the sequel mentioned at the end of the movie,
"Doctor Detroit II The Wrath of Mom", has never been made.

-

[ 22. February 2012, 11:48: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own this but have never watched it. I remember vague images of the movie from when I was a kid. I'll put it on my radar for after Christmas.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor Detroit is sooo 80's that if it had not been made right there in the 83 range as it was, it would have never seen the light of day in any other decade.

Dark, twisted and funny, just like I like 'em!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great write-up aTomik! This movie had its moments and the outrageous fashion is worth the watch.

But what I remember most about this flick is that I kept thinking that Dan Aykroyd and Donna Dixon seemed like such a mismatched couple in real life. Well after 26 years of marriage and three kids ... I guess I was wrong. Congrats to them both!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good flick, well worth the $3 I paid at the discount store [Smile]
Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen this movie. I saw about 5 minutes on late night TV as a kid...but thats all.
I'll have to NETFLIX it.

Is this the movie Dan Aykroyd met Donna Dixon on or did they already know eachother at this point?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! The Finnish cover sucks!

This film makes me nostalgic. I think of it in the same realms as 'Nightshift' (better) and 'Johnny Dangerously' (about the same). They were all out within a couple of years of each other, and none of them really became big hits. The also-rans of their era.

It could have been great, though (with a better director and another funny lead). As it is it's just 'good' with some funny scenes. I recall this didn't do well when it came out and Aykroyd's 'career' had a question mark over it. 'Trading Places' fixed that.

quote:
Is this the movie Dan Aykroyd met Donna Dixon on or did they already know eachother at this point?
I think they met on this.

It's definitely worth watching, but you can see why it wasn't a big hit.

[ 17. September 2010, 23:09: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Damn! The Finnish cover sucks!

I´ll send you the poster for christmas present [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this being very poor. Night Shift was a much better film.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this for the first time ever today! and I loved it!
I have a soft spot for Aykroyd films I love his humor.

The supporting cast are great. I just watched Fran Drescher play a prostitute in Rosebud Beach Motel last night haha.It was a bigger budget movie you can tell because alot of scenes felt crisp and colorful for me.

I can't get past how bad Donna Dixon's hair is....now on the poster above her hair looks awesome and 80's but in the movie it was a helmet! a helmet I tell you [Smile]
 -

I love that Aykroyd and Dixon are still together after all these years.

That silly voice he does for Dr. Detroit kills me every time..........and I loved James Brown!!!

I also loved the Devo intro.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ha! I´m glad that you liked it Muffy!
Doctor rules!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An underrated comedy for sure, and a tour de force for Dan Aykroyd. (He has a putdown that I use to this day: "I am going to rip off your head and..." ROFL) I understand that the original screenplay, "Detroit Abe," was much better, but less in Aykroyd's style. He's a fine actor, maybe the best sketch comedian Saturday Night Live ever had.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Here´s a great video for all ya Doctor Detroit lovers!

RUNAWAY by GRUM (DR DETROIT VIDEO REMIX)

And remember "Doctor doesn´t pay" [Smile]

-

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that song and video, thanks for the tip, Atomik [Cool]
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home