iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Monster Squad on Blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monster Squad on Blu-ray
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea this was coming to Blu-ray yet alone already out. I won it in a small charity auction for this lady who has cancer yesterday. The picture is amazing like a lot of other Blu-ray releases......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie, brings back alot of childhood memories ! Great that it was for a good cause aswell with the charity auction.
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched "The Monster Squad" on Blu-ray last night and it did not disappoint. Fred Dekker made two fantastic gems in the 80's and now he has released two Blu-rays that shows us how to pay tribute to the classics we love.

Wolfmansgotnards should really weight in on this matter ... since his Rewind name is a classic line from "The Monster Squad".

-

Once again the extras are incredible!

[ 06. December 2009, 11:06: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed this has been a bountiful season with both Night Of The Creeps AND The Monster Squad coming to blu-ray! Now I can retire the MonstersHD recording (nice looking HD, but cropped to 16x9).

For $10, The Monster Squad Blu-ray is pretty awesome! It would be awesome at even double the price! Considering the laserdisc used to go for big bucks (even copies suffering from some degree of laser rot), and the Japanese widescreen Laserdisc over $100... still can't believe the Blu-ray is available so inexpensively.

Anyway, the video quality was excellent, noticed the bitrate meter was around 35Mbps most of the time. If you have only ever seen the movie on cable or VHS you will literally be blown away!! Audio was excellent as well - the musical montage scene has always had a little bit muddy sound to me and that remains here, but with a DTS HD Master Audio track it really can't get any better. The extras are where this disc really shines - all the stuff from the DVD release is there, but it is all HD now. This is truly a catalog release done right. I really like having the theatrical trailer in HD as well, and like I keep saying: every movie should come with its trailer and I am always surprised when it isn't there.

The only real complaint I have with this release, much like Night Of The Creeps, is the lack of the original cover art. Not a huge deal though. Oh, and it is labeled the 20th Anniversary Edition just like the DVD even though it is a few years late for that.

Overall, a very nice package that seems to have slipped under the radar a bit (I haven't really heard many people talking about getting the Blu-ray).

Highly recommended. [Cool]

"Kick him in the nards! Kick him in the nards!"
"He doesnt't have nards!!"
"Do it! Do it!"
*kick*
"...Wolfman's got nards!"
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in....although I've already sent my list to Santa...I'll send a second letter priority post...oh wait...priority post from Canada is still like...12 weeks!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sold..I still have a working VHS copy of this movie roaming around somewhere..and I've never liked the movie enough to go out and waste the extra $$$ buying the blu-ray...just a waste to me.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going through some old boxes and found a Monster Squad pin from when it was released on video.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home