iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I need some tip-offs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need some tip-offs
Zeb Speedwagon
Rewinder
Member # 3713

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Zeb Speedwagon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I've reached some what of a dead where I feel I've rewatched all my childhood favorites and now needs some tips and inspiration =)

I'm primary looking for those easy going, feel-good movies, which however obviously are kinda subjective criterias. Anyhow, I'll give you some of my favorites and hope you guys can fill in with 80s/early 90s movies you think I would enjoy. Thank you!

The 'burbs
Overboard
The great outdoors
Vacation
Home Alone

Posts: 35 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a small question that requires a BIG answer, and it all depends on what you've already seen. My advice would be to 'trace' the stars/directors/writers you feel comfortable with via their other projects. Like this:

'The Great Outdoors' = John Candy/Dan Aykroyd/John Hughes. Which gives you (from memory): Uncle Buck; Mr. Mom; Brewster's Millions; Spies Like Us [also with Chevy Chase]; Summer Rental; Armed and Dangerous; Trading Places; Ghostbusters; Who's Harry Crumb; Delirious; All the Hughes teen movies, etc.

'Overboard' = Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell. Which gives: Seems Like Old Times [also with Chevy Chase]; Private Benjamin; Protocol; Wildcats; Big Trouble in Little China.

'Vacation' = Chevy Chase/John Hughes. Which gives us: Fletch; Funny Farm; Fletch Lives; European/Christmas Vacation.

'The Burbs' = Ton Hanks/Joe Dante. Which gives us: Innerspace; Gremlins; Bachelor Party; Man With One Red Shoe; Volunteers; Big; Splash [also with John Candy].

You get the point - follow the trail. You can use the listings on the main page to find different movies and what's written about them.
All the movies I listed are either 'comedy', 'feel good' or 'family' films. But there are tons beyond that. It's worth pointing out that three of the films you listed were written by John Hughes, and two of them featured John Candy.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Logan, three featured John Candy.

He was Chet Ripley in The Great Outdoors of course, and he was both Gus Polinski: The Polka King Of The Midwest in Home alone, and Laskey, the Walleyworld guard in Vacation.....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeb Speedwagon
Rewinder
Member # 3713

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Zeb Speedwagon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logan5:

Thanks for taking your time.

I've done what you're suggestion many times and I've seen most of John Hughes movies. The ones that I listed are just some of the top of my head. I'm always on the hunt for new movies to see and I wanted to try another tactic by looking in closer on peoples recomendations. Obviously with some "culling" of movies I've seen.

BTW: John Candy must be the one actor who's played the same role most times.

Posts: 35 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FT, I'd suggest that honor might go to Roger Moore.... [Smile]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeb Speedwagon
Rewinder
Member # 3713

Rate Member
Hehe, he's a candidate too =)
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He was Chet Ripley in The Great Outdoors of course, and he was both Gus Polinski: The Polka King Of The Midwest in Home alone, and Laskey, the Walleyworld guard in Vacation.....
I'd completely forgotten about his appearance in 'Home Alone'!

quote:
FT, I'd suggest that honor might go to Roger Moore....
Ah... ah. The man who single handedly popularised the safari suit! Of course, we all know that his best performance was as 'Seymour Goldfarb Jr'; the actor who played the actor who played James Bond!

"I'm Roger Moore."
"Who?"
"Roger Moore."
*Sound of breaking glass as he's punched in the jaw*

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home