iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Legend of Billie Jean on DVD? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legend of Billie Jean on DVD?
dacaria
Rewinder
Member # 2818

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for dacaria   Email dacaria   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that the Legend of Billie Jean (1985) will soon be released on DVD; Netflix even has it on its "Saved" list.

Does anyone known when this will be released on DVD or Blu-ray?

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Jessie and Evilash hopes this DVD release occurs! I haven't seen a firm date yet though.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Wikipedia:

The long anticipated DVD release for the movie has yet to happen as of 2009. Yeardly Smith commented on this in a recent interview. She said that she had recorded the DVD commentary in 2008 and the DVD was supposed to have been released in the summer of 2008 but wasn't for unknown reasons.

From another source:

Unfortunately, the master copy of this movie was lost in a fire some years ago where it was being stored. The only copies available are ones that have been pulled from video tapes and digitally remastered, then burnt to DVDs.

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't believe that stuff on answers.com about the film master being lost in a fire - it aired a few years ago on an HD movie channel in 1080i, I've got it and it looks pretty great! "Master copy" sounds pretty ridiculous, like they don't know what they are talking about!

According to another forum, Sony has released an official DVD in Portugal (full screen though).

So there is still hope for a region 1 or 2 widescreen DVD!

Great movie, saw it on HBO all the time [Smile]

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever a movie is shown a TV channel in most countries, a master is sent over and a new copy is made from that (at least, this was the case before digital). This means that with 'Legend of Billie Jean' many many channels have aired the movie, so many many copies will exist that are identical to the original.

I bugs me when they get people together for special features, and then the release doesn't happen. It's almost as irritating when a release does happen but they leave it barebones even though special features were made.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've almost given up hope on this one. Hell is going to have to freeze over unfortunately......
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattCarson80
Rewind Curious
Member # 8475

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for MattCarson80   Email MattCarson80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was recently a widescreen HD version aired on premium channels which i burned on DVD so that is promising.
Posts: 3 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on Encore's Big 80's weekend Sunday morning 12/27 at 6:10am.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1badgmc
Rewinder
Member # 8501

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 1badgmc   Email 1badgmc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is probably the most anticipated 80s DVD release that I've been waiting on for years. I found a copy of the movie online from the Encore HD broadcast, widescreen and all. I downloaded it and burned it to a DVD. It's a very good copy of the movie. Way better than a VHS pull. The only drawbacks are that you see the station logo pop up a few times during the movie and a "coming up next" banner, but that's it. I even printed up a nifty insert for a DVD keep case and put the DVD in my collection and in my DVD database until the day I get a proper release to replace it with.
Posts: 33 | From: WF, TX | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to post this in case people are still wanting this on dvd...

-

It has English audio, and it is Region 2/PAL format.

http://www.dvdgo.com/dvd-la-leyenda-de-billie-jean/1380408/130330

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I actually watched "The Legend of Billie Jean" last night. My fav part of The Legend of Billie Jean is when they invade Keith 'Crazy Eyes' Gordon's house. And you have to get a little pumped when she give her "Fair is Fair" speech.

Also, Mr. Pyatt is a awesome 80's villain!

Great to see Barry Tubb and Dean Stockwell in different roles. Of course, Stockwell will forever be Al from "Quantum Leap" in my mind.

Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH Valley I couldn't agree with you more as Mr. Pyatt being a total slime ball! I so wish that this would come out. Some other country has spent money to have it released? Come on USA!!!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1badgmc
Rewinder
Member # 8501

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 1badgmc   Email 1badgmc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those still waiting on a proper release, Columbia Classics has finally answered the call with a proper Region 1 release. It is a Made to Order DVD on a DVD-R, but it is an official release and even comes with an audio commentary. Image quality is great, much better than even the HD broadcast version. I picked up my copy from Amazon last month and couldn't be happier with it!

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Billie-Jean-Helen-Slater/dp/B005OK0YVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328203459&sr=8-1

http://www.wbshop.com/Legend-of-Billie-Jean-The/1000262441,default,pd.html?cgid=

Posts: 33 | From: WF, TX | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is the commentary by? Why isn't it listed?!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The commentary is by Helen Slater and Yeardley Smith.
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard that Yeardley Smith did the commentary for the movie..even better that Helen Slater is in on it as well. [Smile]

Will be buying my copy soon, as it's on a long list of stuff I am wanting.

I love Keith Gordon in this! (And his "crazy eyes") [Wink]
Slater is beautiful with long hair and almost no hair ha.

I watched an HBO original recently.. "Temple Grandin" and Hubie Pyatt had a small role in it and enjoyed seeing him in the tv series, "Friday Night Lights" which I just finished watching on Netflix.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ordered this. Can't wait to listen to the commentary!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't listened to anything of the commentary yet, but my guess is that they were recorded
separately and edited together for the final product.. so there will probably be no interaction
between the two of them.

I could be wrong though.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder gang! I check the wb archive a lot....ever since they released Reckless.....some very cool rarities on there [Smile]

Ronnie you also reminded me to watch Temple Grandin i'd beebn wanting too so long....Great movie you guys!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I had heard that Yeardley Smith did the commentary for the movie..even better that Helen Slater is in on it as well. [Smile]
Sooooooooold!

Just noticed that 'Up the Creek' is also on DVD!

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan, I also have "Up The Creek" in my basket along with Billie Jean. [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
Logan, I also have "Up The Creek" in my basket along with Billie Jean. [Smile]

Great minds, eh?

Pizza tonight at Ronnies! Woo-hoo!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Thanks for the reminder gang! I check the wb archive a lot....ever since they released Reckless.....some very cool rarities on there [Smile]

Ronnie you also reminded me to watch Temple Grandin i'd beebn wanting too so long....Great movie you guys!!

Hey Everyone.. it looks like we can take down those missing person posters on 'Muffy'. So glad she found her way back! [Smile]
1badgmc
Rewinder
Member # 8501

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
I haven't listened to anything of the commentary yet, but my guess is that they were recorded
separately and edited together for the final product.. so there will probably be no interaction
between the two of them.

I could be wrong though.

No. They were together for the recording of the commentary and they do interact.
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1badgmc:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
between the two of them.

I could be wrong though.

No. They were together for the recording of the commentary and they do interact.
That's great to know, I have ordered my copy from amazon.
Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home