iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Tom Cruise. Born on the 4th of July

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Cruise. Born on the 4th of July
Kristina
Rewind Curious
Member # 311

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Kristina   Author's Homepage   Email Kristina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, does anyone know where Born on the 4th of July was filmed?? My sister says it was filmed in Lake Ronkonkama, Long Island, Ny. That is only 20 minutes from us. I think I would have known about that! Wondering if anyone has any info. TIA. -Kristina
Posts: 4 | From: Rocky Point, NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kristina:

The imdb.com indicates that most of the movie was filmed mostly in Texas, with some shots in The Philippines and Mexico.

However, the movie was based upon the story of Ron Kovic's life. And Kovic grew up in Massapequa, Long Island, NY, before and after his tour of duty in Vietnam. It is entirely possible that a few scenes were shot there, but I have no confirmation.

Kovic was awarded a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart medal after the war. Kovic later gave Tom Cruise his Bronze Star medal as a birthday present a year after that movie came out.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, Tom Cruise should've won the "Best Actor" Academy Award for his performance in that movie, instead of Daniel Day-Lewis. I know Cruise was nominated that year, but he was robbed!

No offense to Daniel, who did an excellent job in "My Left Foot", but Cruise really broke through as a seriously dramatic actor in "Born On The Fourth Of July".

Cruise also should've won the "Best Supporting Actor" award a few years ago for his mesmerizing and ultimately heartbreaking performance in "Magnolia", for playing a truly creepy and unsympathetic role that he normally doesn't do.

Just my humble opinion.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, sometimes it's so frustrating.

--It's all on the Born on the 4th July page!!!! Yes, Texas and some others.

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home