iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » forgetten 80s flicks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: forgetten 80s flicks
MarkA
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8065

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for MarkA   Email MarkA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you guys watched an 80s movie that no one else has heard of, I would love to know about them, I know I have seen many of the mainstays, I am looking to broaden my horizons on the lesser titles out and around [Smile]
Posts: 11 | From: USA CT, originally from London UK | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome MarkA...not too many people talk about Author Author w' Al Pacino...I like it a lot, so I'd recommend that one. Cheers!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XanDer
Rewind Curious
Member # 8069

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for XanDer   Email XanDer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paternity with Burt Reynolds
Best Friends also with Burt Reynolds (and Goldie Hawn)

[Wink]

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortress (1986)

An Australian film that I remember watching as a kid.

Fortress Trailer

Fortress IMDB

[ 05. July 2009, 07:18: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Have you guys watched an 80s movie that no one else has heard of
Someone else has always heard of them. There are few films that got released or shown that were not seen by thousands of people.

If you go through the list of movies on the Fast Rewind main page there are bound to be films you haven't seen (or haven't heard of). There are plenty of others not listed on this site but that seems like a good place to start.

Here's some that don't get much talk:

'The Quiet Earth' (1985): A man wakes up and finds *everyone* including animals/birds have gone missing.

'Hero at Large' (1980): The late John Ritter plays an aspiring actor who becomes a hero. It’s a rather clunky morality tale, but it’s fun to watch, and it leaves you feeling good.

'Static' (1985): Keith Gordon wrote and starred in this Indie flick about an odd boy who’s parents have died, who claims to have built a TV that can tune in to heaven. It’s one of those "what was that film where…?" type movies, that you can never get out of your head.

'The Chocolate War' (1988): Keith Gordon again, this time he doesn't star, but directs Robert Cormier's novel about a boy attending a Catholic school who’s recently lost his mother. He rebels against ‘the Vigils’ (a secret society that that runs the school), and inadvertently finds himself the center of a schoolwide rebellion.

'The Bay Boy' (1985): Kiefer Sutherland stars as a shy boy in pre-war Canada who witnesses a murder. It's not a mystery though, it's really a coming of age drama. It has a wonderful period feel to it. Nice film, nice music too.

'Crazy Moon' (1986): Keifer again! (Is there a pattern?) This is kind of like a junior ‘Children of a Lesser God’. Keifer plays an oddball young Man that falls in love with a deaf Girl.

'Oh! Heavenly Dog' (1980): Chevy Chase plays a PI that gets murdered. He then comes back to life as a Dog (Benji) to solve his own murder, while trying to save Jane Seymour from a similar fate. Sort of silly, but I always liked it.

'Let It Ride' (1988): Richard Dreyfuss plays a gambling addicted cabbie that has a VERY good day, while his best friend David Johansson has a very bad day. It features a nice role for a young Cynthia Nixon as a Girl who goes from innocence to gambling addiction in a few hours.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Brass Ring (finally available on DVD!!!!!!)
Somewhere Tomorrow

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glennster
Rewind Curious
Member # 8068

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Glennster   Author's Homepage   Email Glennster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarkA:
Have you guys watched an 80s movie that no one else has heard of, I would love to know about them, I know I have seen many of the mainstays, I am looking to broaden my horizons on the lesser titles out and around [Smile]

Why not try the 1988 movie "Pathfinder" from Norway. The title rings a bell? Yes, it was sort-of remade recently (same title) but the original movie is much stronger. It was Academy Award nominated, in fact. It's an 80s adventure you're not likely to have seen before. I dont know if you can find it in USA though, try Netflix or Amazon. The director is Mikkel Gaup.
Posts: 5 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x0x0ilymucho
Master Rewinder
Member # 6772

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for x0x0ilymucho   Author's Homepage   Email x0x0ilymucho       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by XanDer:
Paternity with Burt Reynolds
Best Friends also with Burt Reynolds (and Goldie Hawn)

[Wink]

i just saw that on TV the other day cute movie :}
Posts: 102 | From: Hill Valley, 1985 | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really shouldn't qualify as a forgotten movie since it was in wide theatrical release and starred one of the most recognizable stars of the time, but one I find that nobody in my circle of friends has ever heard of is the 1984 film Runaway starring Tom Selleck. Everybody that peruses my DVD collection always picks that one up and says, "What's this?".

Another one I think is criminally underappreciated is Michael Mann's 1986 crime thriller Manhunter. Again, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a virtually "unknown" film, but way too many people have never heard of it (even though they known about the other Hannibal Lector films).

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Here's some that don't get much talk:

'The Quiet Earth' (1985): A man wakes up and finds *everyone* including animals/birds have gone missing.

Great pick.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike.
Master Rewinder
Member # 7179

5 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mike.   Email Mike.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by journey:
It really shouldn't qualify as a forgotten movie since it was in wide theatrical release and starred one of the most recognizable stars of the time, but one I find that nobody in my circle of friends has ever heard of is the 1984 film Runaway starring Tom Selleck. Everybody that peruses my DVD collection always picks that one up and says, "What's this?".

Another one I think is criminally underappreciated is Michael Mann's 1986 crime thriller Manhunter. Again, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a virtually "unknown" film, but way too many people have never heard of it (even though they known about the other Hannibal Lector films).

Now Manhunter that is a great film,there is something about the way it is filmed.The clarity of the colours is so vivid and hold up realy well today.
Also the actor that plays Lector in it is very good even though we are used to seeing Antony Hopkins in that role.

Also if you are looking for a film not many have seen try Battle Truck if you can find a copy,it is a sort of Mad Max type film just made for about £50.

Posts: 270 | From: Southampton England | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 5  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chocolate War is a pretty good film! Forgot all about that.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few that I would consider laregely forgotten by most that are really actually worth sitting down for?

Used Cars (1980) - Kurt Russell, Jack Warden dir. Robert Zemeckis before he brought you Back to the Future & Gump. Funny, perfectly politically incorrect and has a true late 70's early 80's feel to it. Dark humor in a lot of places if you like that kind of thing.

The Final Countdown (1980) - What would happen if a modern (1980) aircraft carrier went through an event at sea and was transported just off the coast of Hawaii days before the Pearl Harbor attack. Hokey concept, but actually executed well enough for me to own the deluxe dvd version!

The Hollywood Knights (1980) - Tony Danza, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Wuhl as an unforgettable Newbomb Turk, the setting is 1965 California up and down the strip, at a drive-in, at the school dance, great soundtrack, truly funny with just a touch of coming of age to it. Best use of California Dreamin' ever used in a movie.

Neighbors (1981) - Truly dark humor. Ackroyd & Belushi in a little seen one, but pretty infectious...for me anyways.

Up The Creek - Blatant Animal House rip-off that ripp'd it off quite well. Typical college 80's completely broad humor...I laugh every time...

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to know a bunch of them before I started hanging out here. You guys know all of the obscure movies I do... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep visiting these pages and you will sure learn to know lots of good and funny stuff.

You should also visit the older topics.

Next i´ll check out these Robert Ginty classics [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkA
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8065

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for MarkA   Email MarkA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good choices thank you, I have not heard of a lot of them, I will try to see them all.
The Quiet Earth seems popular that will be at the top of my list.

Posts: 11 | From: USA CT, originally from London UK | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.C. and Stiggs is one of my all-time faves that you generally don't hear much about. Can't believe I forgot about it!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubsjpd
Rewind Curious
Member # 8090

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for cubsjpd   Email cubsjpd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a new member; looking for a 1980's British movie about a married woman who flees to Greece because her marriage is in a rut; happy ending when her husband eventually joins her in Greece.

I can't remember the title or who stars in it

Posts: 1 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, cubsjpd, I suspect I know of the film in question that you are curious about: Shirley Valentine (1989).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098319/

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortress (1986) is a must see for thriller fans! It is actually available on DVD from Amazon too.

Making Mr. Right (1987)--must see for Romantic Comedy lovers. Starred Ann Magnuson and John Malkovich.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iheart1980s
Rewind Curious
Member # 8094

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for iheart1980s   Author's Homepage   Email iheart1980s   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you logan5! The quiet Earth! Ive been looking for this film for for years and years! what an amazing film i watched it on TV many moons ago as a kid. Could never find it i knew it was new Zealand or Australian. logon5 you are indeed a guru and a legend!!
Posts: 2 | From: Cardiff, Wales, UK | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home