iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Penelope Spheeris Appreciation Thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Penelope Spheeris Appreciation Thread
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been watching a lot of Penelope Spheeris' older work lately and really gained a newfound respect for her as a director. I have to say, she made some of the most compelling character films of the decade. She really had a knack for delving into the subject of troubled youth, and did it without any silly pretensions or latent biases weighing her down. Strange how she evolved into the go-to Saturday Night Live feature director in the '90s...but I guess everyone has to pay the bills. It looks like she's managed to work in a few documentaries in-between comedy vehicles, though. I haven't caught Decline of the Western Civilization Part III or We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n Roll yet, but they seem to have garnered strong ratings at imdb. Anyone else a big fan of hers?
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big fan of her's a s well. Stuff like Decline, Suburbia, and the Boys next door has always got some love from me. Definetly an antidote to the candy coated 80's Reagan years.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have The Boys Next Door dvd
and Dudes vhs tape and soundtrack album.
All good stuff.

In fact, i need to watch these flicks again
to refresh my memory.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen some of her films like...

# Black Sheep (1996)
# The Little Rascals (1994)
# The Beverly Hillbillies (1993)
# Wayne's World (1992)
# The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (1988)

I can't remember if I've seen these:

# Dudes (1987)
# Hollywood Vice Squad (1986)
# The Boys Next Door (1985)
# Suburbia (1984)

I own The Boys Next Door. Just need to watch it...

What do you think about the other films???

Thanks,

- jdocster [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know she did Dudes actually. It's been a favorite of mine for a while now although people on here hardly ever talk of it. Makes sense that she would put Lee Ving on Decline fame in another movie of her's. Repo Man was Alex Cox, although it seemed like a Spheeris film a bit.

She's a great female director though, her Martha Coolidge and Penny Marshall stand out for me.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don´t forget Kathryn Bigelow...
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Amy Heckerling...
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
decline of western civ I, suburbia, boys next door are all great movies that i would recommend.

trying to remember if i saw hollywood vice squad.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watched Hollywood Vice Squad (1986) yesterday.

While i felt a little disappointed, it still was pretty entertaining 90 minutes.
Lots of cool street scenes, some funny stuff (especially Evan C. Kim)
and a little bit action.
Maybe there was just too many characters in this flick.

Some decent acting (Ronny Cox) and some hilarious overacting (Frank Gorshin and Leon Isaac Kennedy)
Carrie Fisher was cute and Robin Wright Penn was hot in her first feature film.

-

[ 27. February 2012, 09:55: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think i've ever heard you say anything truly bad about a film in here, bro [Smile]

Even if you don't like a flick, you usually round it off with "but it was pretty entertaining". Are the finnish just by definition, easily entertained, or is it just you [Razz]

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh, i´m easily entertained, always trying to find the "good" in every godawful flick [Smile]

And i´ll admit that i´m not the best "critic" in the world or in this forum.

Bad reviews hmmm, check out the Blood sisters review for example [Cool]

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, checked it out, Daaaaamn that Blood Sisters movie must be a huge pile of rectal scratch [Smile]

If aTomiK says it's bad, then IT IS BAD!!!!

[Wink]

Wish I was as positive as you, dude! Im probaly too jaded, over analytical and nitpicky sometimes.

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG you said rectal scratch! that made me laugh and blush. hahaha

I have the Boys Next Door and still haven't watched it.....i'm gonna get on that since I have 3 days off this week. [Smile]

I've had Dudes in my wishlist forever.....what can you guys tell me about it?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I really like that movie.
Check out here for more Dudes talk

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Sphincter says what?
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
eeeh... what?!
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
A Sphincter says what?

What?

haha when your 14 it's the funniest thing to say EVER!..............and all the time.

You know Waynes World really is an awesome movie [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want me to say "what". Like I don't get it. Is that it?

WW-HH-AA-TT.

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found the scene in boys next door when Maxwell takes his shirt off at that guys apartment very mesmerizing.

Boys Next Door will mess you up for a few weeks.

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
OMG you said rectal scratch! that made me laugh and blush. hahaha
And itch?

quote:
I have the Boys Next Door and still haven't watched it.....i'm gonna get on that since I have 3 days off this week. [Smile]
Slacker! Don't expect it to make you happy!

quote:
I've had Dudes in my wishlist forever.....what can you guys tell me about it?
Odd. It's interesting, but not a 'classic'. I recall not liking it that much, but I haven't seen it in a while. If Atomik likes it though...

quote:
You want me to say "what". Like I don't get it. Is that it?
My favourite bit!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I didn't watch Boys Next door still.....but the whole bit of Maxwell taking his shirt off sounds intriguing.....scary and sexy at the same time? haha

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home