iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Reappraising Rocky IV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reappraising Rocky IV
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Rocky III' has always been my favourite in the series, but I recently gave IV another look: Its still quite ropey with all its earnest political sentiments, killing off 'The Master Of Disaster' Apollo Creed not to mention the ill advised addition of a comedic robot.

But as an integral part of the saga, 'Rocky IV' certainly has its bright spots: it was a time when Bridgett Neilson wasn't that scary looking, see?

-

When Dolph Lundgren's unbelievable physique and striking good looks, made you wonder if Hitler's delusional fantasy of an Aryan master race would've looked something like an army of Lundgrens.

-

And of course the greatest song ever, few thought Survivor could better 'Eye Of The Tiger', but they did and then some.

Survivor-Burning Heart

Communist contender Ivan 'Death From Above' Drago is a man who inspires awe and fear in equal measure, easily Rocky’s most brutal opponent, this peroxide blonde behemoth isn't a man you’d want to call a sissy...ever. Drago's an unstoppable, destructive juggernaut. 'The Siberian Express': A virtually silent, steroid leaden machine who can't be blamed for the extent of his ruthless power, but is considered a heel for his unsporting attitude: "If he dies, he dies".

-

Everytime I see him on screen it reminds me of that classic exchange in 'Withnail and I' when Richard E. Grant reads that newspaper article aloud...

Withnail: "In a world exclusive interview 33 year old shot putter Geoff Woade who weighs 317 pounds, admitted taking massive doses of anabolic steroids, drugs banned in sport. It used to get him bad tempered and act down said his wife. He used to pick on me. But now he's stopped his much better in our sex life and in our general life." My God, this huge, thatched head with its earlobes and cannonball is now considered sane. "Geoff Woade is feeling better and is now prepared to step back into society and start tossing his orb about." Look at him. Look at Geoff Woade. His head must weight fifty pounds on its own. Imagine the size of his balls. Imagine getting into a fight with the ****er!
Marwood: Please! I don't feel well.
Withnail: That's what you'd say but that wouldn't wash with Geoff. No! He'd like a bit of pleading. Add spice to it. In fact, he'd probably tell you what he was going to do before he did it. "I'm going to pull you head off". "Oh no, please, don't pull my head off". "I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head!"

How would you approach a fight with a pug like that? When it comes to Captain Drago I'd have to use Brandon Lee’s humorous one-liners from 'Showdown In Little Tokyo' to catch the Russian off guard. Drago's threat: "I must break you" would be met with the response: "I just want you to know; you have the biggest **** I've ever seen on a man in my life".

-

As Mickey might've said: This guys all blusta' Rock, get in close negate his reach advantage you can second guess Ivan and do some serious damage on the inside: And for God's sake, don't go toe-ta-toe with this monster, he's a wreckin' machine; in a stand up brawl this maniac'll kill ya insida three roundsaaa!

That stratergy will work against Vitali Klitschko too, hell, it works in the 'Rocky' Playstation game so I see no reason why it won't work in real life.

-
Cheer up, it might never happen.

-
"Take that you Commie *******!"

-
"I pity the fool who does a 'Rocky' thread without me!"

-
Great opening sequence

"DRAAAGOOO!...DRRRAGOOOO!!!!"

[ 03. March 2009, 18:15: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that is a write up Kash! Excellent. Rocky IV has always been my favorite of the series.

"I must break you"

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You vill loooose" [Wink]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drago: "Я борюсь, чтобы победить, Для меня. ДЛЯ МЕНЯ!!"

..One of the best lines of the movie=)

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work Kash!
Best Rocky flick IMHO.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great write up Kash. IV is definitely my favourite Rocky film - probably because it was the first one I saw in the cinema.

I still listen to the Soundtrack at least once a week. Great stuff.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he dies...he dies. Love it...I love em all...well apart from the Tommy 'machine' Gunn saga (not Rockys finest hour)....'touch me and I'll sue' (the only good bit [Smile]

I do hate that bloody robot though.

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that robot was the most annoying thing ever out of a great movie. I was let down by Rocky V and really let down by Rocky Balboa though.....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know....he LOST!!!!! That is NOT supposed to happen in a Rocky film. PLUS even though Adrienne had died....Pauly was STILL hanging around....get your own life Pauly....for gods sake get your own life!!! (shakes fist at Pauly, no doubt whinging and sitting in an arm chair wearing a vest).
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky IV was the first Rocky I saw in the theatre too. The first four Rockys I will always have time for, haven't seen Balboa yet. Alway love Dolph as Ivan, I still imitate him and Rocky with co-workers.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earth Angel:
I know....he LOST!!!!! That is NOT supposed to happen in a Rocky film. PLUS even though Adrienne had died....Pauly was STILL hanging around....get your own life Pauly....for gods sake get your own life!!! (shakes fist at Pauly, no doubt whinging and sitting in an arm chair wearing a vest).

You have to remember that Rocky and Pauly were friends long before Rocky ever started dating Adrienne.

For a good popcorn flick Rocky IV is the best in the series. For substance the original Rocky and Rocky II are far superior. In this case I prefer substance. Rocky IV was just one long drawn out MTV video with way too many montages thrown in so they didn't have to come up with extra dialogue for both Stallone and Lundgren.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone see the Family Guy episode where Brian was training mocking the scene where Rocky's in Russia running up the hill screaming out once he got to the top? Hilarious. I read somewhere that Stallone stayed up for like 4 days solid writing the original Rocky. The original was probably my fave followed by the sequel. I wasn't that big a fan of Part 3 or 5 but did like the 4th one.........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Ah yes....but wasn't Pauly horrible to Adrienne when Rocky first met her??? and anyway....it still doesn't explain why he never got his own life, place to live, a shirt.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pauly was there for the ride, he depended on both Rocky and Adrienne. But he was instrumental in introducing Rocky to slaughterhouse sparring. [Wink]
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheeee.... that's some funny stuff there Kash.. Good job!

For you Rocky fans...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=46382878

http://www.totalrocky.com/

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. 'The Italian Stallion' was a great character, but there was always a part of me that wanted to see him get knocked out, and of all Rocky's opponents Clubber Lang & Ivan Drago looked like the guys who could get it done. In real life, both Mr T. and Dolph Lundgen would beat Stallone black & blue, especially Lundren with his mixed martial arts background and third degree black belt in Karate!

Pauly was a semi hanger on, but that's the case for a lot of boxers: big entourage full of people who're just there.

[ 07. March 2009, 12:32: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though Pauly had a lot of faults I have to stick by him concerning his relationship with Rocky. Pauly was a true friend long before Rocky ever made it big so it's unfair to label him as somebody who leeched onto Rocky's success.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home