iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Top 11 best cheesy action movies ever! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 11 best cheesy action movies ever!
Silly Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 7716

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Silly Dave   Author's Homepage   Email Silly Dave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone...why 11?...because 10 wasn't enough! My friends and I have a cheesy action movie night every month and came up with the following list...share your thoughts?

#1 - Commando

#2 - Big Trouble in Little China

#3 - The Warriors

#4 - The Last Boyscout

#5 - Universal Soldier

#6 - Robocop

#7 - Tango and Cash

#8 - Cobra

#9 - Action Jackson

#10 - Demolition Man

#11 - Freejack

Some honorable mentions are:

-Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man
-Gymkata
-Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
-Band of the Hand
-Masters of the Universe
-The Running Man
-Ninja III: The Domination
-Rage of Honor
-The Last Dragon
-Exit Wounds
-The Ice Pirates

We're still looking for more movies...anything fun, cheesy and action packed enough to keep a bunch of guys entertained all night...if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Posts: 6 | From: CT | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting list...I don't exactly know the criteria, but how about:

Escape From New York (1981)

-

and

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw, I wouldn't exactly call "Escape From New York" cheesy, but it can definitely keep a bunch a dudes entertained for a couple of hours.

"Snake Plissken.....I've heard of you.....I heard you were dead!"

Great flick!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call alot of those movies cheesy. Good list of movies though.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably don't appreciate action movies enough to really be able to say what my favorite "cheesy" ones are, but I do remember enjoying the 1993 film Judgment Night (Emilio Estevez, Cuba Gooding Jr.), and being ashamed that I did. Does that count?
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice list...but how could you forget these essential 4 pieces of ultimate cheese?!...

1. Road House
2. Out for Justice
3. Over the Top
4. Bloodsport

Honorable Mention: ANYTHING with Michael Dudikoff!!!

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything with Jean-Claude Van Damme should be at the top of any list.

Kickboxer is #1 for me.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well..alot of the ones I would have mentioned you've already listed. So I don't know how much help I will be...but still, here's my list of good/bad movies worth mention:

-Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
-Delta Force
-Over the Top
-No Holds Barred
-Last Action Hero
-Total Recall
-Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
-Band of the Hand
-XXX
-Snakes on a Plane
-The Guyver

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by saturnchick:
I probably don't appreciate action movies enough to really be able to say what my favorite "cheesy" ones are, but I do remember enjoying the 1993 film Judgment Night (Emilio Estevez, Cuba Gooding Jr.), and being ashamed that I did. Does that count?

That movie is great! What is so impressive is that Piven out does Leary which is hard.
Silly Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 7716

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Silly Dave   Author's Homepage   Email Silly Dave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great call on "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai" Valley...I can't believe we missed that one. I always thought "Escape from LA" was a lot cheesier than "Escape from New York" but that's just me. I still hope they're making the 3rd one. "Judgment Night" was another great movie...thanks Saturnchick. Keep em coming...anything with that cheesy 80's excess...you know...an astronomical body count, musclebound superheroes, over-the-top villains and ridiculous action sequences are the order of the day.
Posts: 6 | From: CT | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I have to throw Eliminators into this category.....cheesy, but great action movie.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much any Steven Seagal or Van Damme movie. Insert movie of choice _________
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its gotta be Roadhouse for me.

"The names, Dalton" [Smile]

Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silly Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 7716

Rate Member
I was grilled by all my buddies for not including "The Marine" on the list but I think it's too soon to be a classic thought it's a cheesy 80's movie at heart.

"We don't go around them...we go through them!"...lol.

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget all the awesome Charles Bronson cheesefests:

Death Wish 2-5
10 to Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
Murphy's Law
Assassination
Messenger of Death
Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects

Or the Chuck Norris classics:

Breaker, Breaker
Good Guys Wear Black
A Force of One
The Octagon
An Eye for an Eye
Silent Rage
Forced Vengeance
Lone Wolf McQuade
Missing in Action 1-3
Code of Silence
Invasion U.S.A.
Delta Force 1 & 2

And a few of my favorite oft overlooked gems:

Stone Cold (1991)
Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)
The Perfect Weapon (1991)
Excessive Force (1993)

Oh yeah and anything with Don "The Dragon" Wilson or Billy Blanks.

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that no one has mentioned Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Red Dawn or Predator yet. Those are cheese masterpieces. Rocky IV has the quintessential sports musical montage and deserves a spot in the cheese Hall of Fame for that alone.

I also like a lot of those sleazy '80s vengeance movies (takeoffs on the Death Wish formula):

Savage Streets
Class of 1984
The Young Warriors
The Exterminator
Exterminator II

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Filmmaker Cirio Santiago created a whole bunch of cheesy action-flicks that could be found in
any videostore during the 80's.. Almost all of them have yet to be given a dvd-release though.
Some of them that i remember from looooong ago :
- Naked Fist
- Silk
- Final Mission
- Naked Vengeance
- Equalizer 2000
- Wheels of Fire (my personal favorite of the bunch)

And for something more glossy i'd like to add The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990) as well.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
action jackson where carl weathers races the yellow cab then somersaults over it!
absolute priceless!
http://youtu.be/LkPFcC08nQ4 - [Big Grin]

saturnchick there's nothing wrong with enjoying judgement night i agree with valley & silly dave it's a really awesome movie!

[ 21. July 2011, 03:31: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've seen it but can't remember much of it - instant justice aka marinre issue starring michael pare,
if the movie is anywhere near as cheesey as its trailer it's got to be the ultimate cheesefest!
http://www.videodetective.com/movies/trailers/instant-justice-trailer/67

the voice over guy - " the army has rambo but the marines have sgt scott youngblood" [Embarrassed]

plus the poor sucker with the line to michael pare "god help me if your not captain america" [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool trailer, Young Warrior.
I've seen that one too, but it was somewhere in the late '80s, and can't really remember much
of it either.

Here's the trailer for Wheels of Fire :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvY1e0JNa10

Now, is that cool or what ? [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly Dave, i dont have time right now to list all my favs, but if you guys haven't watched Death Wish 3 yet, put it at the top of your list!
I have a weekly movie night with my buddies where we watch everything from old classics to really bad B-movies.

We watched Death Wish 3 not too long ago, and it was definitely a crowd-pleaser. Some of the most over-the-top action I've ever seen - perfect for a group of guys.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i wouldn't mind watching wheels of fire johnny,never seen the trailer before,it might look like a blatant mad max rip off ,but it also looks a lot of fun!

"they killed the giggler man! they killed the giggler!
http://youtu.be/vuKeUAavpnU

death wish 3 is a classic,charlie bronson starred in some really great films!

journey your list of sleazy 80s veangence movies would make for one awesome days viewing!

[ 21. July 2011, 15:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instant Justice rocks and Wheels of Fire is also highly entertaining movie.
I have the VHS tapes.

Wheels of Fire Rewind Thread

-

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheesy action and no mention of:

Hard Ticket to Hawaii? [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd_X-C5g29o

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, i own Hard Ticket to Hawaii!

I think that i´m gonna watch it tonight [Cool]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home