iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Last American Virgin (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Last American Virgin
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of those movies that sticks with you after you watch it.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW- ive jusat finished reading what everyone had to say and you all have just one thing in common - you all wanted to comment on this movie. Good or bad it really doesnt matter - This movie has got you talking and thats called ADVERTISEMENT!!!! So i think this movie really did its job. It worked on me as i heard all about the movie and its ending before i saw it but i still wanted to see it because of all the hype and like i said good or bad - didnt matter - ADVERTISING.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw if you would like to watch a movie which is about coming of age, losing your virginity and sad endings you should really watch 'stealing home' (jodie foster, mark harmon) This movie is an abosulte gem and will really get you feeling nostaligic and thinking about the past. i highly recommend it to all.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Stealing Home' is good. LAV's 'shock' ending is great. I feel sorry for people who watched it after hearing the 'spoilers'. I can still recall the sledgehammer 'too true' feeling when I saw it the first time.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
first time i saw stealing home was in 93 and it was on tv, it really did leave a mark on me for personal reasons and i find it hard to watch now.
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird, an hour and a half after Stealing Home was mentioned in this thread, it became a featured movie at another site. Coincidence?

-

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
it really is such a great movie if you can relate to falling in love at that age.
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember being mad in the theater when the ending rolled around but definitely thought it was true to life. As others have said, a lot of girls went for the "Ricks" as opposed to the "Garys". That sucks but I guess it's always been that way. I'm sure it's going on in high school right now.

I remember being so in love with a few girls at different times in HS that looked at me as the big brother/best friend/confidant. Meanwhile they were so in love with guys who only wanted to get into their pants!! Of course, when they got their hearts broken, who's shoulder did they come to cry on??? Being a nice guy was rough!

An excellent movie. It does seem to be two movies put together. The first half is basically the 'horny guys wanting to get laid' movie and then the second half is the teenage drama movie. Just like real life in my high school!!!!

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been ambivalent about "The Last American Virgin." It does have that out-of-nowhere, pull-out-your-heart-and-stamp-on-it ending, which makes it forever memorable--along with the great soundtrack that carries the paper-thin plot along. But when all is said and done, it's just another el cheapo Golan-Globus Cannon production of the era with the typical exploitation elements...and that ending. Killer. A complete paradox. Here's a movie so commercially calculating the whole way through with one scene of such absolute truth about life, I often wonder if Paul Schrader and Martin Scorsese lost a bar bet and ghost wrote and directed that last scene.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't remember the soundtrack much..but I do remember it being memorable for how serious the movie gets toward the end..
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this movie a handful of times-so much angst! The part where they're trying to drown their crabs in the swimming pool was funny. A good movie, but it's hard to enjoy being depressed [Frown]
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
This is one of those movies that sticks with you after you watch it.

Saw it again last night, but didn't get to finish it.
Probably because of what's been said above. I didn't want to go to sleep with an ending like that.

I really don't know what to make of this movie. In fact it's a good movie... hilarious at times. But other scenes are just plane stupid. The Carmela scenes for instance are hard to sit through.
Diane Franklin is pure eye candy, though her acting skills seem very
limited compared to the rest of the cast. As a character, I think I liked David the most.

One thing's for sure. Along with Modern Girls this flick has one of the best soundtracks around.
For those interested,you can download Tutone's 'Teen Angel Eyes' on his official website. Go to: Songs/Video & Bonus Tracks. It's free and it's legal. [Wink]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POSSIBLE SPOILERS:
I watched this for the first time ever last night. I've been sick for almost two weeks,and I thought it would be a funny movie to make me feel better. Not. It was a really good movie, but it made me feel not so good. The part with the hooker gave me the heebie-jeebies. The only part I thought was kinda funny was when Big Apple was with the nympho in the bedroom and they showed Gary and Rick watching through the keyhole. I thought the end was excellent, even though I was shocked too that the credits started rolling as Gary was driving away in his car and crying. So much of this movie was true to life. I like to think that Karen got dumped again by Rick and she was left all alone, and Gary finds another chick who is really into him.

[ 05. October 2010, 11:43: Message edited by: Pittsburghgirl ]

Posts: 2296 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa!!! you might need to write spoiler for those Rewinders who haven't seen the movie!! haha or their in for a big shocker. [Big Grin]

It for sure isn't a typical teen movie or feel good movie at all! [Smile] glad you liked it though. It's a good movie with intriguing characters.

I didn't even see this in the 80's either knew nothing of it......Karen and her nasty eyebrows, I always knew in my mind she would end up alone haha.....and Gary would find a better lady....more deserving.........that's how life should be right? [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, I edited it to say possible spoilers. But I think everyone on this thread has stuff in their posts that reveal most of the story already.
I do not remember this movie being out at the theater where I lived inthe 80's. It may not have played there, as I grew up in a small city, pop. around 35,000. So they may have thought there wouldn't be an audience for it. I'm sure my friend would have wanted to see it if it was at our theaters.
Karen's (Diane Franklin) acting wasn't very good, but I thought Lawrence Monoson and the rest of the guys were good. Her eyebrows did need a little bit of grooming, lol. But back in the 80's I don't remember people plucking/waxing their brows into nothing but a pencil thin line.

Posts: 2296 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I didn't even see this in the 80's either knew nothing of it......
Your parents steered you the other way in the video store!

quote:
Her eyebrows did need a little bit of grooming, lol. But back in the 80's I don't remember people plucking/waxing their brows into nothing but a pencil thin line.
That wasn't the only thing they didn't pluck / wax! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I can't be the only one who always really liked natural brows, can I? I miss them!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

logan5, natural brows are supposedly coming back in style now. I hate those overplucked brows- they look so phony and fake. A little bit of eybrow plucking/shaping is fine, but these girls today have taken it to a whole new level- like they don't wanna have any eyebrows at all.
Oh,yeah, I'm sure my Dad steered me away from LAV at the video store too, lol!

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realize until just recently that "The Last American Virgin" is a direct rip-off of the 1981 German film "Shifshuf Naim" (aka, "Hot Bubblegum"...aka, "Lemon Popsicle 3")

-

I saw this for the first time recently and I was floored by the similarities...though this one came first, I still prefer "The Last American Virgin" over it.

Has anyone else seen this?

[ 13. November 2011, 07:06: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own the movie.
It´s part three of the Lemon Popsicle movie series and most of them (Hot Bubblegum included)
were written and directed by The Last American Virgin director Boaz Davidson.

I believe that these movies were shot in Israel, financed by the germans.

Here´s the Finnish VHS cover art:

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
out of the popsicle films the only ones i haven't seen are private popsicle and up your anchor.
might have to track these down some time just to be able to say i've watched the whole series

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Last American Virgin is not a remake of the third entry from the Lemon Popsicle series, but
in fact is an exact scene-by-scene remake of the very first Lemon Popsicle (original title : Eskimo Limon)
from 1978. The third one (as described in the posts above) has many similarities, but still
differs from the first Lemon Popsicle and The Last American Virgin.
Indeed they're all directed by Boaz Davidson.
I have the Lemon Popsicle series in its original Hebrew audio as well as the English dubbed
versions.
Definitely check out the first Lemon Popsicle if you've never seen it before.

Posts: 2181 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok...Popscicle 3 was the first of the series I've seen. And I was unaware that it was from the same director of American Virgin, so now the similarities make more sense. I will have to track down the 2 prequels though and check them out.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home