iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The River's Edge (1986)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The River's Edge (1986)
tony78201
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7499

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tony78201   Email tony78201   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally bought this movie, its one of Keanu Reeves 1st movies. very cool 80's flick, anyone have this?
Posts: 16 | From: San Antonio | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"River's Edge" is a disturbing movie that was actually based on a true story which makes it even more disturbing. I've never been much of a Crispin Glover fan and in reflection it might be because of his character from this movie. Great performance by Ione Skye as well.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a disturbing, yet impressive movie. Hardly any 80's cultural references, it still stands up, not dated in any way. I've always found Glover to be somewhat entertaining. Although his infamous interview(if you call it) with Letterman while he was on acid is a train wreck.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i enjoyed it. i thought glover's character was funny. and the scenes with dennis hopper made laugh as well. i didn't find the movie to be disturbing, except for the younger brother.. (who always plays a younger brother in movies) joshua miller. he's just spooky to me.

overall, good movie.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was disturbing too. Quite a few people in a small group that seem to have no conscience or respect for right and wrong.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved this movie. probably because it is so disturbing.

but i wanted to punch the little brother in the face.

crispin glover rules too.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie and xchazx, I totally agree that Joshua Miller is just downright spooky. That trait worked perfectly for him in the movie "Near Dark", but as great as he was in that flick, I always felt he was miscast in "Teen Witch".
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen it either. Do I want to? What's it about?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this movie, but it's not one of those feel good 80's flicks you pull out, when you want some nostalgia... still, a pretty good movie though!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I have never seen it either. Do I want to? What's it about?

Here's a couple links for you

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091860/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River's_Edge

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it back in the 80s... I thought it was strange...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about it...it does sound disturbing. I am not so sure about it. It does have a great cast though.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could never stand Joshua Miller. Hard to believe that his half brother is Jason Patric.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it even though it wasn't exactly an uplifting movie. I've always liked Crispin Glover for some reason. What's even harder to believe is that Jason Patric was Jackie Gleason's grandson....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I couldn't stand watching Teen Witch because of Joshua Miller, I didn't know if he was a boy or a girl, or what age he was suppose to be...or what was up with him. He creeped me out.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the UK Blu of River's Edge last night and I still think it's a movie that holds up quite well even to this day,the plots quite disturbing as are the countless shots of the naked female corpse plus Daniel Roebuck plays the emotionless killer Samson to perfection and really gets under your skin!

Crispin Glover who I normally don't mind I absolutely detested here and his character of Layne was seriously annoying,thought Ione Skye gave a good performance though and also looked really beautiful here in what was her film debut and it was also great to see Keanu Reeves in an early role as well as Dennis Hopper as a one legged drug dealer who lives with a Blow Up Doll!

Like mentioned above it's not a movie your going to be pulling off your shelf too often as it's very bleak and depressing but it is very well made all the same!

The Blu Ray from Signal One Entertainment is a worthy upgrade from the DVD for any fans out there as both picture and sound were much improved and you also get an audio commentary from Director Tim Hunter plus a Q&A with the great Richard Linklater.

-

Ione Skye and Keanu Reeves in River's Edge.

[ 07. August 2016, 12:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re-watched River's Edge on Blu-ray recently. This is the first time I had seen the film on Blu, and it was definitely an upgrade from the regular DVD re: picture quality, etc. However, it's an older film so the print isn't perfect.

Great film - I've only seen it a couple of times in the past, and I consider it extremely well done - especially considering it was obviously a low-budget movie. It's definitely an indy-type film, and though it featured K. Reeves, IIRC it was one of his first roles & he wasn't that well-known at the time...the vibe/tone of the film actually seems more like a '90's indy film than an '80's film, probably because the indy film "movement" (such as it was) seemed to begin in the '90's...

Though I knew the film was based on real-life events in CA back in the early '80's, after doing some research & finding out more details...I was even more disturbed by the movie. Quite horrific.

I was also in H.S. in the '80's (I graduated towards the end of that decade), and for whatever reason I never saw the film then. However, seeing the movie much later did also remind me a lot of that time, since I knew a lot of kids like those characters.

Though the film was obviously extremely grim, there was some unintentional?! comedy: I laughed @ the scenes with the ex-hippie teacher trying to engage the kids in his class (by talking about his activism when he was younger), and having it fall on deaf ears...the kids were either bored, indifferent, or stoned, and obviously didn't give a rat's @$$- hilarious! I liked how his righteous indignation at the state of the country (and later, the horrific crime) failed to move the kids at all....This also really dates the film as a product of it's era (which it obviously was), since I remembered that during the '80's a lot of these ex-hippies from the '60's & '70's had entered the workforce - and were becoming part of "the establishment" that they had fought against when they were younger - whether they wanted to or not.

[ 22. October 2016, 18:15: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home