iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Some DVD 1980s movies are full screen cropped to wide screen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some DVD 1980s movies are full screen cropped to wide screen
Ralph Palumbo
Rewind Curious
Member # 7361

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ralph Palumbo   Email Ralph Palumbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just discovered that some if not all DVD of movies from the 1980s that are being sold as wide screen are in fact full screen videos with the top and bottom are cropped to fit the wide screen format. I knottiest during the opening credits of some of my movies on wide screen DVDs were just as wide as some of my movies on full screen VHS. I have a combo DVD-VHS player and decided to play the DVD and VHS of the same movies to test this and in switching front VHS to DVD and back, I discovered that both were just as wide and the Black bars on the top and bottom on the wide screen DVD only covered over that part of the screen, making it appear wide screen. [Frown]
Posts: 3 | From: Manalapan, NJ | Registered: Sep 2008 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting....why would they do this?
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralph Palumbo
Rewind Curious
Member # 7361

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ralph Palumbo   Email Ralph Palumbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Don't Know, But I was shocked when I discovered this.
Posts: 3 | From: Manalapan, NJ | Registered: Sep 2008 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a reason for this. It goes something like this (deep breath)!

Many 80s movies were shot in full frame and then "matted" where the top and bottom were cut off in the cinema print to show only the bit the director intended. Then, on video they just took the lazy route and transferred the movie "open matte" without chopping. This has the advantage that there was no need to "pan & scan" where the transfer operator has to move the TV frame within the widescreen frame to follow the action but this sometimes also showed bits that were not intended like microphones etc.

The "cropped" DVDs apparently show what the director intended and the same as what would have been shown at the cinema.

Personally, I think sometimes its nice to see both, to get the full picture [Smile]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good explanation Nick!
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See jdoc....Nick IS here for a reason. I'm not listening to you anymore. [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ss kisser! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheResurrection
Master Rewinder
Member # 2326

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheResurrection   Email TheResurrection   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was this the case with Explorers DVD - I remember something weird with that one but haven't watched it again since I got the DVD a couple years ago.
Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralph Palumbo
Rewind Curious
Member # 7361

1 Update

Rate Member
Nick has a good explanation; I thought it was the DVD manufactures that were being lazy.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home