iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's 3-D Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's 3-D Movies
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering who's seen some of these jems when they were in the theatre...they gave you the cheap blue/red cardboard glasses....and....are there any more that I don't know of? The only ones I remember seeing are: Spacehunter w' Molly Ringwald, Jaws 3-D, and Amittyville 3-D. And, of course, I still have a pair of the glasses [Cool]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a Friday the 13th in 3-D? I never saw any of the 3-D movies.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there was...thanks pettyfan...I forgot that one. I didn't see this one in the theatre (too young) but remember watching it on VHS. You could kinda tell where it was supposed to be 3-D, but it really didn't cut it....I remember Jason's sword in 3-D in one image...that's all I remember.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going to the movies and seeing Jaws 3 in 3-D. It was terrible. The 3rd Friday the 13th was the 3-D one. The last ten minutes of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare was also in 3-D but it was released in 1991........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw any of them at the theaters. But a few years ago someone sent me Jaws 3D trading cards and a pair of glasses...they came out when the movie did.

I really like Friday the 13th part 3. It is so gross when Jason pops the one guy's eye out, and it's 3D.

I heard they are making Toy Story 3 in 3D...anyone know if that is true?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember going to see 1 movie in 3-D, but I don't remember what movie. [Confused] If it comes to me, I'll share.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
I remember going to the movies and seeing Jaws 3 in 3-D. It was terrible. The 3rd Friday the 13th was the 3-D one. The last ten minutes of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare was also in 3-D but it was released in 1991........

Those are the same ones I've seen as well.

Btw, I did a little research and discovered these other 3-D releases from the '80s:

Abra Cadabra
Captain Eo
Comin' at Ya!
Dogs of Hell
Human Highway
The Man Who Wasn't There (1983)
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn
My Dear Kuttichathan
Parasite
Silent Madness
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Starchaser: The Legend of Orin
Transitions (IMAX)
Treasure of the Four Crowns
Wings of Courage (IMAX)

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Wow...thanks journey....I haven't heard of any of these...with the exception of Spacehunter...that's the first 3-D movie I had seen in theatres.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone in my class saw METALSTORM and jAWS 3 IN #D. both were TERRIBLE, mind you...but it was so much fun to go see 3D movies. I vividly remember sitting in the theater watching JAWS 3D with my friend Claudia and going "oooooh" when it looked like the fish were swimming into the audience. Hahaha.

I didnt see FRIDAY THE 13TH 3D in theaters...I have the DVD though and when I watched it a few weeks ago I was rolling my eyes at all the corny stuff they were doing just to use 3D. There is a scene where a girl is lying down and a guy is dangling over her doing yo yo tricks. LAME! Really? Is this how much we've prospered since the Paddleball Man in Vincent Price's HOUSE OF WAX???? Hahaha.

I remember when my daughter was in Kindergartedn we had a field trip where we went to see POLAR EXPRESS in IMAX 3D. My daughter had never seen a 3D movie before and was quite freaked out by it! A few of the other kids were flippin out too. Like for instance theres a scene where the train pulls up and it looks like its driving right into the audience: The kids were like "AHHHH! Get me outta here!"

I know my husband and daughter saw SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL in 3D. What a terrible movie THAT is! We have the DVD and whenever I tryed tow atch it the 3D effects just gave me a headache - with glasses or without!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
I've actually only seen one IMAX 3-D movie in recent years...it was not a "real" movie, but kind of an educational flick about the ocean. This is pathetic, but, at first, it actually gave me motion sickness....got over it quickly though and very cool effects. It's funny to see how things have progressed....80's 3-D was pretty lame...but it was new, so people still thought it was cool. I remember a few years back that a sitcom or two tried to do the 3-D thing on TV...I believe one was The Drew Carry Show.....it really didn't work, but they tried hard to hype it up.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I was a kid growing up in New York channel 11 WPIX had a week where they would show 3D movies. I forget where and how you got the glasses (TV GUIDE maybe?) but the movies were freakin HORRIBLE and you could never get the 3D to work! You were supposed to screw around with the knobs on your TV dial but to no avail. The movies were soooo old too! Yikes! But I applaud them for trying...at least they TRYED to give their viewers something unique!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen a few but I really can't remember which ones.... Must be getting old... [Wink]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing that list that journey posted, I can't remember seeing any of those in the theaters. It must have been on TV when I saw a 3-D movie.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember those movies being in 3D, but I also remember them all giving me insane headaches and eye fatigue.

The only 3D I remember really..well.."remembering" was when the local TV stations would do a 3D movie. GORILLA AT LARGE! and you'd have like 2 weeks to get your glasses at the local grocery store or whatever and then you'd be treated to an obscenely bad 50's 3D movie with your free glasses on your head, getting headaches.

The 3D systems they have today are FAR, far superior. In fact they are at the point right now where you can do the 3D effect without the use of any glasses at all.

Many newer model Plasma and DLP sets being released today have the ability to generate 3D images if the devices that you plug into them support them. Just pop on a pair of clear polarized lenses and boom, instant 3D.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home