iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » near dark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: near dark
80'sfreak
Master Rewinder
Member # 3922

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sfreak   Email 80'sfreak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rented this movie from netflix today. I have never seen it before but have heard it's really good. I'll post my review of it after I watch it. Anyone here like this movie? Did I pick I good one? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 111 | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an underrated classic, it had the misfortune of being released around the same time as Lost Boys, so it got lost in the shuffle. Good performances from Adrian Pasdar, Lance henrikesen and Jenny Wright. Some interesting variations too of vampire themes. Try to get the 2DVD set with the extras.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great movie. didn't get the recognition it deserved at the time but i believe it is a cult classic for those who know.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic movie
and once again superb Tangerine Dream soundtrack!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved this movie. Recently got it for $3 on DVD....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great film. I guess a remake is in the works. I heard that Jenny Wright is no where to be found. I guess she no longer wanted anything to do with Hollywood. Anybody know whatever happened to her?

Anyway, great flick I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much!

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this site for Jenny:

http://www.jennywright.yoyo.pl/

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny Wright is definitely out of the lime light. She was last heard from in 2002 when the band Callian's Dream wrote a goth rock song called "Near Dark Jenny" and dedicated it to her. She responded by email, but we haven't heard from her since.

-

NEAR DARK JENNY

Near Dark Jenny - where did you go?
Near Dark Jenny - there's someone who misses you so
Soon the sun will be rising - time for Mae to hide
Near Dark Jenny - hide the tears you've cried

(chorus)
Well, Caleb and I we've been searching
Loy and Sarah they've been looking too
O Pretty Jenny - young Mae what's become of you?

When the night has fallen the vampires come out to play
There's Jesse, Diamondback, Homer and Severen - and our seductive little Mae

The winds blow o'er the prarrie - the moon's in the sky above
The family hunts nocturnal delights - then Mae seeks vampire love

(Chorus)

I sought out Valentino - I called to The Lawnmower Man too
I asked everyone in this Wild Life but no one knows what happened to you

Near Dark Jenny you know you'll always be our star
If you need some hope and strength to share
Send us a message from wherever you are

[ 10. September 2008, 15:32: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is she? I'm a fan of a lot her work, from Wild Life to Out of Bounds, I Madman and of course Near Dark. I just hope she's doing OK.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget her small role in The Lawnmower Man, 1992. I quite enjoy that flick too.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She also had a small but very memorable role in PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL ("Are all these your guitars????")
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Was that her first role? I think she is listed as a groupie on IMDB for that part.
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say Near Dark ranks as one of the films I'm not all that enamored with. I've seen it, and I just couldn't get into it. I like the cast re-pairing from ALIENS but it still didn't do anything for me no matter how much I wanted it to.

Thanks for the link up between that girl and Pink Floyd, I was frazzled thinking "where have I seen this girl before" and then I remember "oh yeah, going down on Geldof in The Wall" [Big Grin]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never really fallen in love with this movie either. It's weird too, because it has so many elements that seem custom-made for me: dark and moody tone, a cool leading character, the very lovely miss Jenny Wright, and a tangerine score. Maybe it's the whole sexy, gothic vampire genre thing. I'm not the biggest fan of The Lost Boys, and really hate all of those Ann Rice-style vampire flicks that have been in vogue ever since Interview with the Vampire came out.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt really dig NEAR DARK either. Something about it just misses the mark for me. I saw it in a theater when it came out , didnt love it and have watched it on video at least twice to see what the hub bub is about. I prefer LOST BOYS and FRIGHT NIGHT.

I rememebr this guy I was crazy about came to my house once when I was watching THE WILD LIFE and he saw Jenny Wright and said "Shes from The PINK FLOYD movie" and I was like "Are you SURE???" because I sort of thought she was too young in WILD LIFE to have been in THE WALL. He swore it was her and I was like "oooooh...thats sooo interesting" never for a moment believeing him that it was actually the same girl. Then many moons later when I got the internet I looked it up and Shiver Me Timbers: He was right!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Popped this one in the player last night. Some things I had forgotten about....some good, some bad.

Let's start with the good.
1. A vamp flick (obviously)
2. Great cast (for the most part)
3. Tangerine Dream soundtrack (plus a touch of John Parr)

Now the bad.
1. Joshua Miller (Jason Patric's half brother) as Homer. I forgot he was in this movie. I could never stand this kid.
******************SPOILER ALERT****************
2. This is a big one in my opinion. The fact that Mae and Caleb were able to turn back to human from a simple blood transfusion? No, No, No! Once you are a vamp, it is for eternity (unless you are killed). Having not seen this movie for some years, I forgot all about this turn of events at the end. Did this bother anyone else who saw it? It certainly bothered me quite a bit.

Other than those two negatives, this is a good flick.

jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I forgot I DVR'ed this... I still have not watched it yet. Any good scenes I should watch for?

[Wink]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:
Hey, I forgot I DVR'ed this... I still have not watched it yet. Any good scenes I should watch for?

[Wink]

There's a bunch Jdoc.
All of them with Jenny
A pretty good shootout in a motel
A gruesome scene in a bar

That's all I'll give you. You'll have to watch it for the rest.

I hope you didn't read my spoiler above. [Wink]

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Hmmmm...what '8s0 Rocked said!

Another thing I didnt like....some of the dialogue seems poorly written? I mean theres a scene where that Homer kid says something like "Your so ugly you make my gums hurt" or something like that? I just was like..."Ummmm...yeah, WHo would say that? Who writes this stuff?" Some of the things they said just didnt ring true for me.

And the end? I remember sitting in the theater like "Huh? Thats IT???? It's THAT easy to beome human again?????"

Worth a watch but I don't love it.

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoiler? What's a spoiler? [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
what did I spoil???

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
what did I spoil???

mama,

I was joking with 80'sRocked about his posting...

"There's a bunch Jdoc.
All of them with Jenny
A pretty good shootout in a motel
A gruesome scene in a bar

That's all I'll give you. You'll have to watch it for the rest.

I hope you didn't read my spoiler above. [Wink]"

[Smile]

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Oh..I thought maybe my "It's THAT easy to become human again?" line was considered a spoiler! Which I didnt think it WAS , cuz lets face it, usually in vampire flicks someone figures out how to make their loved one human again and does it at the end of the movie.
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
usually in vampire flicks someone figures out how to make their loved one human again and does it at the end of the movie.

Yeah, but that's only when they're still not fully converted yet....then it's OK.

This conversation would fit in nicely around the campfire with Teddy, Gordie, Chris and Vern. [Wink] [Big Grin]

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Hmmmm...I think Teddy would win on this argument. He has the most Vampire Experience!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home