iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Thoughts about a Movie Club? (weekly movie to watch)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thoughts about a Movie Club? (weekly movie to watch)
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been thinking, we should do a movie club on here. We will dive in to an 80's classic each week and then everyone can re watch the movie, or watch it for the first time and then we can all write down our thoughts. I think it will be a good way to go through our old movies and fall in love with them all over again, and maybe find some things that we've missed in the past.

I have to say that when Valley wrote the review of Fast Times (and pretended like she had never seen it before) that it sparked this idea. I really think it would be fun. Let me know if there is a group out there that would be interested and we'll fire it up.

I will pick the first movie and then I'll pick the best review and they can pick the next weeks movie. Then that person gets to pick the next person to pick a movie and so forth.

Lets get this going, who's in?

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be cool, but there are soooooo many titles I don't own. Let's see what everyone else thinks.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80'sRocked, I think you are thinking like I was originally where we all try to watch the same movie on a particular night. However, I believe Gordon might be implying that we each pick our own movie and post a review. Then everyone discusses.

We've tried movie night a few times in the past with mixed results....seemed to work best with advanced notice to watch something like "April Fool's Day" on April Fool's Day or watch your favorite part of "Friday the 13th" on Friday the 13th. Most of the time the issue was that several people that wanted to participate either didn't own the movie or was short on coin to go out and purchase it. And I'm a huge fan of watching movies on
the weekend, and get this, there are actually people on here
that still have a weekend social life.

Oh and one more thing, I'm starting to feel like Dalton in "Road House" where everyone kept telling him "I thought you'd be bigger". Gordon...I'm a guy.

ok..I just read it again..Gordon did say for us all to watch the movie and each person write a review and then he'll pick the best one. So I stand corrected.

[ 27. August 2008, 15:28: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea, though think "Monthly" instead of "Weekly" may be more realistic.....might give people a better chance to see the movie. I have tons of 80's movies but hardly get to watch them...c/o my two year old son....he'd rather watch the Backyardigans! And when me and my wife finally get to watch a movie....when we're not too tired from chasing around after our two year old....our tastes seem to clash....thankfully, she loves 80's movies too....but we have a hard time deciding.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, a monthly would give more people a chance to participate...

Sounds good to me...

Hey, maybe Nick could open a new thread called "Monthly movie club"...

What do you think Nick?

Great idea Gordo! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a better idea Jdoc, I mean Nick. I forgot you changed your name. [Smile]

Valley had some good ideas too. She sure knows her movies. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah SHE does know HER movies. And she plays an awesome game of basketball even wearing high heels.

[Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Like Miss Valley said....we did try it before and I thought it was fun.

Me and Valley actually do that quite alot...not lately ...but we tell each other what movies we are planning to watch, so we can talk about them....

Now that the weather around me is starting to get cooler and fall is coming up fast....I love to watch movies when it is cold out...it makes the days not seem so long.

If anyone wants to pick a movie...go for it...I will do my best....give everyone several days to watch it, incase they can't watch it on the same night. We could pick a movie for a Friday night, and report on it throughout the following week.

How about it?

[ 27. August 2008, 18:28: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think Gordon has to pick first, right?
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gordon I wished I lived in Wisconsin or you lived here near me because I would be all over that. I think that is a fascinating idea.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, first off, I'd like to appoligize to Valley. Ha. I'm sorry, I have no idea why I thought you were a woman, I'm an idiot.

It sounds like weekly might be too much for some people but I think monthly would be too long and people would lose interest. How about bi-weekly?

And yes, I was thinking of picking the movie for the first two weeks. I'll try to pick one that a lot of people have and or that would be easy to find.

Then, what I was saying was everyone writes their reviews and I will then pick the one I enjoy best and that person gets to pick our next movie. After they pick the movie then they are in charge of picking the next person and so on.

That's what I had in my head but if you guys have better ideas on how to do that let us know and then we'll get this thing rolling.

I'm still debating on what movie to pull......stay tuned.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we tryed this once before, right?
well, Im game.
I think you should announce on Monday what movie was are to watch on the weekend....that way if we dont have it in our house already we can rent it.
Im toatlly down to do it - especially since school starts next week and I will have the TV back again!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
And Jessie, that would be nice if we could get together to watch the movies instead of watching them on our own, I agree.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, its Monday...did we pick one yet?
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Please see thread, "Movie Club - Movie #1"

There you will see my choice for the first two weeks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home