iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Last Starfighter (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Last Starfighter
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love this movie [Smile] it has lance guest (jaws 4 & halloween 2) and catherine mary stewart (from night of the comet & mischief).

i watched the special edition dvd a few days ago. my daughter loved it as well.

-

there's a cool making of the movie bit in the special features part, hosted by lance guest.

here's some more recent pics of them:

-

http://www.collectormania.com/imagegallery/C10images/LanceGuest1.jpg

she looks great, lance has changed quite a bit..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NowhereGirl,

You have no idea how many hours I spent at the arcade mastering video games waiting for a Centauri to show up when I broke a high score. After watching "Star Wars" and "The Last Starfighter" it was only natural that I would be the next chosen one. Good Movie too.

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome movie.

i remember when it was first released. it was a surprise hit. i'd like to see this again, maybe when my kids are a little older.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KISSMAD
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4412

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for KISSMAD   Email KISSMAD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are remaking this movie, Starfighter (2010). It's not going to be the same without Catherine Mary Stewart.

Maybe Catherine could play Jane Gorgon. [Cool]

Edit:
Check this out.
http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

[ 26. August 2008, 16:47: Message edited by: KISSMAD ]

Posts: 65 | From: Aussieland | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowheregirl.

I've seen this movie like 50 times. I love this movie!

Valley,

if that's a pic of your game in your house then I bow to you my friend... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember this one at all.......and I recently just bought it at Goodwill last week......I loved Catherine in Night and Mischief!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
After watching "Star Wars" and "The Last Starfighter" it was only natural that I would be the next chosen one. Good Movie too.

Valley, I am jealous....arcades, movie theaters, beautiful cars.....you live like a king!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I don't remember this one at all.......and I recently just bought it at Goodwill last week......I loved Catherine in Night and Mischief!

You've gotta watch it...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember really loving that movie when I was a kid. I made my parents take me to see it twice. It was running on cable recently and I caught it. It hasn't aged very well and seeing it now just reinforced what a poor Star Wars knockoff it was. On the other hand, I think I like Cloak & Dagger and The Monster Squad even better now.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you listen to the audio commentary, you will learn that it wasn't a "poor star wars knockoff", and that they actually tried to veer away from that when making the movie. It was also the first movie to use cgi of that scale, although that part obviously did not age well!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right you are jaylee. i was thinking the same thing.. i payed close attention when they spoke about this on the dvd...they were very intent on not making another star wars flick.
all other movies had used minatures and puppets ...the last starfighter was digital.

i disagree that the movie has aged poorly.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Mischief at the movies with my high school boyfriend, his brother and sister and a bunch of our friends. I had never seen Catherine Mary Stewart before that...but everyone I was with thought I looked exactly like her...and they were freaking out when we came out of the movies-they were going up to people who came out of the movie-and were asking them if I looked like the girl in the movie-I was so embarrassed, and they were goofing around asking me when did I do a movie. I actually did look alot like her when I was in high school.

So, it was so funny to me when I bought the Last Starfighter a few years ago...I got it for my son, because I thought he'd like it, since he loves Star Wars stuff....the first thing he said...was oh my god....that girl looks just like you...and it was Caterine Mary Stewart. It was kind of weird, because I thought it too, there was some scene where she was getting in the bed of a truck, and I thought...wow...it looked like me.

But, when I saw her in Nighthawks I never thought we looked alike. Then I watched a movie with her and Rob Lowe...it was called Dead Silent, it was good. But she was older in it, and I didn't think we looked anything alike then.

It is great to see a current picture of her.
I like that hair style on her.

My high school boyfriend use to look alot like Lance Guest-when he was in the movie Halloween 2-but Lance absolutely has changed a ton. My friend has met Lance Guest a bunch...and I have seen candid current pictures of him....he goes to alot of the convention things.

[ 28. August 2008, 13:56: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Starfighter was great until they went into space. I thought the dynamic on earth was really well done. I can still recall thinking as a kid that the space scenes would've looked much better and felt more exciting if they'd used models. I used to think that the ships looked like paintings.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Last Starfighter was great until they went into space. I thought the dynamic on earth was really well done. I can still recall thinking as a kid that the space scenes would've looked much better and felt more exciting if they'd used models. I used to think that the ships looked like paintings.

I have to agree! But you gotta give them props for trying something new!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my recent trip, I went to the Starbrite Stalite trailer park place and the owner told me that the filmmakers have been trying to convince her to let them use the place as the location in the new version...
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ooh... A new version huh? Hmmmm...
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the part where Alex comes back to earth and interacts with his beta self.

"I'll have it all figured out by the time we reach the frontier."

"-Whats that?"

"The frontier!"

[ 04. January 2009, 04:09: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Welcome to Silver Lake! Oh and for Cameron Dye fans it was cool to see him in a different albeit small role.

Nick, are you serious that the Starbrite Starlite trailer park is still there?

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:

That's pretty much my feeling as well. All the space stuff is what didn't age well for me.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Nick, are you serious that the Starbrite Starlite trailer park is still there?

Well, the place is there. The trailers themselves were only there for the movie, but the park store with the starfighter game is still there... I actually stood where Alex does to play the game... [Wink]

I just knocked up a quick comparison pic here

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
In my recent trip, I went to the Starbrite Stalite trailer park place and the owner told me that the filmmakers have been trying to convince her to let them use the place as the location in the new version...

Ahh the good life... [Wink] no seriously, thats a great gig, where to next?
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Lol -- It was my 40th birthday present to myself. We went up through Arizona, route 66 to LA and then up the coast stopping at a whole bunch of locations along the way.

You'll see the fruits of this when the new locations engine is up. I'll be using these locations to "get the ball rolling" so to speak and then we'll see if others want to run with the ball and get the majority of these 80s movies locations identified and photographed,as many of them are disappearing forever [Frown]

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
It's gonna be nice Nick! [Smile]
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think Lance has aged very badly, he's middle-aged heavy is all...but its that Larry Fine haircut he's rocking that seriously needs to go [Wink]

As for the FX in this movie, I take issue with folks who say the effects "dont age well". Look, what *does* age well besides Wine and Stock Certificates?

The space FX give the movie its charm, the same way TRON wouldn't be TRON if they remade the whole thing using modern CGI. See: STAR WARS.

Hell in another few years kids will go "Why is that guy standing outside playing a videogame and not sitting on his couch". "no no, those were ARCADE games, son...."

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HeadRusch:

As for the FX in this movie, I take issue with folks who say the effects "dont age well". Look, what *does* age well besides Wine and Stock Certificates?

Heheee... [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home