iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » BreakDancing Theater-Course 4: BEAT STREET

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BreakDancing Theater-Course 4: BEAT STREET
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either this movie took itself too seriously or I didnt take it serious enough.

I felt this movie tryed to mix too much story, plot, "charactor development" and other elements in and didn't just totally focus on Breakdancing.

For starters, not everyone in it is a breaker. We have people who rap, people who "mix". and people who do graffiti "art".

And in the first 5 minutes of the movie we meer a group of main charactors and I saw one guy and said "Oh let me guess: he dies"

And then about ten more minutes in something happens and I go "Yup. He's gonna die"

And ya know what??? I was right - this guy DOESNT make it to the end of the movie!

So anyway, there is a whole lotta plot here and all I can say about THAT is: the movie is at its best when people are just bustin a move and NOT acting. I sort of hated this movie til the "club scene" where there is a "You Got Served" rivalry dance and everyone is spinnin, and poppin and lockin and doin all this crazy contorshinist **** (And like I said about the BREAKIN' movies- how did this EVER go out of style? It's so coool to watch people spin on their heads!!!)

Take a moment to mention Rae Dawn Chong is in this: She doesnt break. She doesnt rap.She doesnt sing. She doesnt graffiti subway cars. She's the "Big Name " though - you wont recognize anyone else in this dealio (unless you are a big MELLE MEL fan- and after White Lines, who ISNT????)

So - aside from that club scene I spoke of----theres another club scene where some guys do a "Santa Claus Rap"- and THAT was very funny and enjoyable.

But THEN of course the movie starts to take itself all serious (I love how there is a pre-BEAUTY AND THE BEAST love song about "opposites attracting" in the midst of all this gritty urbarn living- totally didnt belong in this movie-and also a WEST SIDE STORY-like dancing-instead-of-fighting segment), someone dies, and instead of having The Big Show the gang decides to have a Big Bang-Up Memorial Service.

Now- Im torn on what rating to give this movie.

If you legitimately like the whole break dancing thing this COULD be one of the best movies about it ever made.

If - like me- you like some cheese and giggles- well, then its pretty heavy handed and not so enjoyable (I know I'LL never rent it again)

so.................

Serious Cinema: 7
Looking-For- A-Good-Time: A 4 or 5 and a Rent BREAKIN' recommendation!

Next Up: KRUSH GROOVE!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good and honest analysis Mamamia.

These two movies are hard to compare. It’s like Cinderella vs. Rambo.

I guess it depends on what you’re looking for in a movie. For me personally Beat Street is still the better one. If not, THE best breakdance movie ever made. And I’m pretty sure that every breakdancer or (semi) ex-breakdancer (such as myself) agrees with me.

The reason why I liked it so much is because it gave a more realistic view on the whole breakdancing scene and it had the better dance sequences. After all it all originated in Manhattan and the South Bronx, not in colorful Venice Beach.
I admit that Breakin’ is probably more fun to watch, but come on… it was just as predictable as Beat Street.
Also technically speaking there isn’t too much breakdancing going on in Breakin’. Most of the dances involve robotic popping. While breakdancing is far more acrobatic. I guess they realized their mistake and named the sequel ‘Electric Boogaloo’ which is more accurate.

It’s obvious that Breakin’ was made for the big audience, while Beat Street (and Wild Style) are truer to the origins and thus will remain more popular amongst B-Boys. And sure there were lots of famous people in this movie, not actors, but the real pioneers of hip-hop: dancers and DJ’s, such as The Rock Steady Crew, The New York City Breakers, Cool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa, Melle Mel and so on.

Beat Street is the real deal!

But I suppose women will always prefer the Breakin’ movies. [Wink]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, like I said before (I think when I talked about BREAKIN') I was never really into this whole culture and music and way of dancing as a kid. I didn't see movies like this when they came out. I'm just now viewing them as an I-Love-The-'80s Tribute. I guess BEAT STREET is technically more gritty and serious and "true" to how life was back then and BREAKIN' is more bright and cheerful and colorful (and-in my opinion, had better songs).BEAT STREET probaby IS the stronger movie, but I found BREAKIN' very enjoyable.

So....Final Verdict: Rent 'em both !

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
BREAKIN' ... in my opinion, had better songs

Here we agree.

Oh and thanks for your final verdict.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Beat street has an important place in society because of the message of the street that it brings. I think that the songs are great, and the acting is ok. Ms. Chong isn't worth her weight in aluminum foil. I have always thought that she was the pits. Even in Commando.

I think that the concept of the mixing and the "art" of being a DJ, or "Tagger" or Graffiti Artist, is really shown. Now growing up in a city like I did and seeing the art and graffiti that is everywhere it can be appreciated the dangers that are involved.

I'm not saying that Ramo was right in painting subway cars but it was the time and it was the city.

Anyway, it's a good movie, but not really for the light of heart.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devo,

'Style Wars' (1983) was another interesting movie (well, it's more of a documentary) on the whole graffiti subject. Don't know if you ever seen it?

The music in it is great too. For those who like it. Too bad there isn't a soundtrack of it.

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I will have to see if NETFLIX has that one (STYLE WARS)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Beat Street last night and it was great!
Fantastic music and breakdance scenes.

The movie has awesome 80s feel and i think that the cast did a decent job.
I´ve always liked Rae Dawn Chong and it was nice to see Saundra Santiago (Gina from Miami Vice).

Loved the Roxy dance, battle and audition scenes. The Burning Spear club was cool too.

I would love to get the all the music from the film.
Atlantic Records had three volumes planned, but only two of these were released.
The second volume was never released on compact disc.
And they never released the Brenda K. Starr tune "Vicious Beat"? What a shame!

Brenda Starr - Vicious Beat

You gotta also love the fun Andy B. Badd clip [Smile]

Andy B Badd - Breakdown Shakedown

Supercool movie!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Beat Street on video since the late 80's, and i think it may have been the main reason
why i got interested in vinyl records and turntablism myself.

The documentary Scratch by Doug Pray is kinda like the real-life Beat Street, and functions as
an excellent companion-piece to Beat Street.

So check it out : www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7085594575841814301 [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found and bought Beat Street soundtrack cd last week!
This is the only official release (Groovebuster Records, Belgium, 2003)
which includes both volumes 1 AND 2 on cd. Love it!

These two tunes are the current highlights:

The System - Baptize the Beat

Tina B - Nothin´s Gonna Come Easy

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Beat Street, still love it and still feel the same way. Whatever happened to movies with a message? I don't think they really make them anymore.

I predict the next message movie is going to be about Cyber-Bullying. It's all they talk about in school. The newer equivalent to "Swimfan".

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about Beat Street it's a Urban Movie. Simple & Plan [Smile] It was and always will be a Classic in the Hood/African-American Community. How do i know? Because im black. And growing up in the 80's Beat Street was a way of life to some or most.. Break Dancing, Rapping, Beat Boxin' Dj'in(mixing & scratching)Spray Painting etc. That's all they knew or cared about. Beat Street also had a couple of up in coming rappers that was in the movie.. Doug E. Fresh & Kool Moe Dee. I wasnt raised in the ghetto i had a really good up bringing (Heck i remember my older brother and i being excited because we had MTV [Smile] )But we was also fancinated with the Hip Hop culture just as we were about the Mtv culture. So for a movie like Beat Street to come out in the theaters was big deal. But hey i feel you on your opinion's about the movie [Smile] It's never have been on of my favorite movies.
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home