iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » STAND BY ME - Remake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STAND BY ME - Remake
nymus
Rewind Curious
Member # 7170

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for nymus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Dread Central TLA Films will release a remake of STAND BY ME on DVD this September. It will be called SUMMER SCARS and this time it is set in England.

-

Posts: 2 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie looks pretty cool, but the plot is very different from Stand By Me according to this:
http://www.jingafilms.com/film_details.asp?film_id=7

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually ok if they use the premise, but change the main plotline. Stand By Me is difficult remake because of the legendary River Phoenix in my opinion.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Valley...This movie does look like it will be pretty good. I will definitely watch it.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m glad this isn’t a remake of 'Stand By Me'. No need for improvement there. It’s perfect just the way it is.

Nevertheless, this 'Summer of Scars' seems like a movie I definitely want to see.

BTW Has anyone else ever seen 'Now and Then'? The story was quite similar to Stand By Me. But instead the main characters were girls. All grown up they return to their old treehouse, looking back to the one summer that changed their lives.
Even though the plot was shamelessly ripped from Stand By Me, that wasn’t a bad movie either...

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yes TKO, I did see that one. It wasn't bad, not great, but OK.
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO...it had Christina Ricci in it right? She was great in "Addams Family" and "Casper" around that time as well. Ever see "Buffalo 66"?
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread may have been a ploy to promote a new film??? conspiracy??? haha 1 post from Los Angeles???....i'm only saying?? [Big Grin]

I love Now and Then, great movie with a great cast great soundtrack........one of my favorites.....now Buffalo 66 Valley? is one inventive movie but a bit of an indie. For me Ricci was way better in The Opposite of Sex around that time. I love Christina Ricci.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
christina ricci was good in black snake moan and prozac nation as well.
now and then was a cute movie, ricci played a tomboy - hehe i love it.

summer scars sound interesting. i will probably give it a whirl [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Muffster, you at least have to admit that "Buffalo 66" is indie great Vincent Gallo's finest work don't ya?

Christina Ricci is adorable in it and the premise is dark comedy genius. Not for everyone, but the part where they run into the real Wendy Balsam at Jerry's is hilarious.

jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man! Look at the cast of characters in this movie... It looks like a promo for "Deliverance part II"

-

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...that sounds awful creepy. Those kids do look like they should picking a Banjo.

The creepy dude in the background is going to give me nightmares tonight.

The girl looks like Lindsey Lohan (in her younger days)

It didn't sound a thing like Stand By Me...the only thing it had in common was ...a group of kids...in the woods...that's pretty vague.

I am not sure which would make me run faster....a train or that dude chasing me.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errrr… those time differences.

A little late with answering but.. yes it has Christina Ricci in it. [Big Grin]
Anyway, I have never seen Buffalo 66. It seems to have a great cast, so I might give it a try sometime.

As to Now and Then, I thought it was really good. I’m a real sucker for movies like 'Stand By Me', 'Now and Then', 'It'and so on. You know, with lots of flashbacks, where people start reminiscing about their childhood, what life was like growing up. Stuff like that.
Guess it must be the overly nostalgic me.

Ronniebear, I agree on Christina (Roberta?). She did an awesome job playing the tomboy. I loved that, after the kissing scene she tells that boy: “If you tell anyone, I’ll beat the sh!t out of you.” (or something in that style) So romantic haha..

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i usually love indie films but i could not get into buffalo 66. vincent gallo.. wasn't he in the movie with her as well?
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Buffalo '66 was a Gallo trifecta: he not only directed and starred in it, but wrote the the script and musical score.

So no love from the ronniebear (ha picked that up somewhere) for a guy that kidnaps a girl and takes her home to meet his totally dysfunctional parents? I blame the movie's box office failure on Scott Woods for missing that kick in the Superbowl. (Really should have been Scott Norwood, but he wouldn't allow his name to be used in the film).

I guess this movie must of caught me on the right night, I'm usually not that huge into indie flicks (If you ever need indie info just check with the Muffster, she knows all the release dates), but the plot appealed to me and Christina Ricci was excellent in it.

nymus
Rewind Curious
Member # 7170

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for nymus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That dude is Kevin Howarth from THE LAST HORROR MOVIE!

I would definately run if I met him in the woods!

Posts: 2 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by nymus:

He does look dangerous.
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nymus:

Never run in the woods... You could twist an ankle. [Smile] Or worse... You could attract the "Dog Soldiers"
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home