iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » TV Guide calls 80s teen movies "crummy"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TV Guide calls 80s teen movies "crummy"
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Longtime TV Guide reader, so not the first time I've screamed at the pages.

But in a Top 50 DVDs to buy article, they're mentioning "Say Anything". At which point they say "in the midst of a decade of crummy teen movies...." SCUSE ME??? The 80s were they hayday of teen films, that broke ground that hundreds have tried to duplicate unsuccessfully thru the 90s and now.

Just about every John Hughes movie, John Cusack movie, "Lucas", "The Lost Boys", "Back to the Future" even. Crummy? Print a retraction please!

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaBanana
Rewinder
Member # 41

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnnaBanana   Email AnnaBanana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80's teen movies are practically Shakespeare compared to the garbage that Hollywood spews out these days. (Did love CLUELESS though, but even since then there have been countless pieces of uninspired crap).
Posts: 36 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaBanana
Rewinder
Member # 41

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnnaBanana   Email AnnaBanana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Added note: Though I do have a general distaste for the current state of the film industry, I am comparing 80's "teen" movies and current movies that are strictly aimed at younger audiences. I didn't make that clear.
Posts: 36 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
OConner880
Master Rewinder
Member # 415

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for OConner880   Email OConner880   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, somebody who shares the same distaste for bad taste that I do. More and more shows and movies are cropping up these days with people being praised for dispicable behavior.
Posts: 186 | From: Saint James, NY, USA | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McFly:

Instead of just complaining about it here, how about posting a mailing address or email address from TV Guide, onto here?

That way, we can complain directly to TV Guide, and tell 'em what we think.

Granted, there were some very lightweight fluff during the 80's, but it seems pretty harsh to broadbrush an entire decade just because of "crummy" movies!

I would love to see the responses from 80's lovers if TV Guide ever prints them!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, It's all down to the 'herd effect' that journalists have. For the last decade, the 80's have been as unfashionable as it was possible to be --but we're on the cusp of a change to all that.

However, only when senior members of the 'herd' start saying nice things about the 80's will the rest of them change their tune.

Until then, we're stuck with junior members of the journalistic herd echoing the same tired, cliched garbage about the 80's every time the decade is mentioned...

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL -- Just thought:

<the following said in cliched evil, sinister mad henchman voice>

"Soon, comrades, our time will come"

Sorry. I got carried away... :)))

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I posted here cuz it's an 80s message board. And I like the conversation with my "comrades" here, as Nick might say. Getting other reaction is great. At TV Guide I might be lucky to get an automated response.

No thanks, I'll stick here.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
M80sgrl
Rewinder
Member # 332

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for M80sgrl   Author's Homepage   Email M80sgrl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW DARE THEY SAY THAT! all those movies were great i love 80's movies! article writers really piss me off cuz they hav no idea wtf they're talkn about it really makes me mad
Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home