iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Remake: RoboCop and Red Dawn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remake: RoboCop and Red Dawn
Big Kahuna
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5278

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Big Kahuna   Email Big Kahuna   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this was posted yet...

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/17/mgm-plans-to-remake-robocop-and-red-dawn/

[Eek!]

Posts: 23 | From: okc, ok | Registered: Dec 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Robocop teaser poster on here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37033
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnG6
Rewind Curious
Member # 7074

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JohnG6   Email JohnG6   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember Red Dawn all that well, but I seriously hope they don't try to re-make RoboCop. I don't understand the mindset of film makers anymore.

Let's see, I don't have enough talent to come up with anything new or original. Instead I'll try to improve on a classic that's withstood the test of time. Where does that kind of ego come from?

Posts: 7 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goresnet
Master Rewinder
Member # 6592

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for goresnet   Email goresnet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I talk about this frequently. The complete lack of creativity anymore in Hollywood. Of course we like the guilty pleasures of comic book movies, but... COME ON! There are some wonderful books screaming to be made into movies (when done properly).
Posts: 160 | From: League City, TX | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
30-something
Rewind Curious
Member # 7137

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 30-something   Email 30-something   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's pretty cool to see 80's cartoons, comics and video games turned into live action, but this has gone to far. Over the past few years, there's been several remakes of some great and timeless films and TV shows and unfortunately, the younger generations are getting a half-assed experience of what makes the originals so great. What next? Remake The Breakfast Club? Please don't tell me there's a link for that too. If you want to see Red Dawn, watch Red Dawn. It's an unforgettable film. RoboCop is still one of the most dark and violent action/sci-fi movies out there and a great film. I'm getting the feeling that enough of the current Hollywood writers have such little talent that the production companies are letting them basically plagiarize great films just to make a dollar. Yes, there have been great and original films in the 2000's. But, why remake the 70's, 80's and 90's? I don't know why they can't re-release these films like when Return of the Jedi was re-released a few years after it's original showing and all 3 of the original Star Wars films were re-released in the late 90's.
Posts: 4 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not so much the lack of originality in the movie biz (although that's true), but also the fact that the movie itself is a COMMODITY that can be used by the movie studio to make more money off of it.

So, it's just not remakes or sequels. There's also video games, amusement parks, etc.

Since RoboCop and Red Dawn are action films, there probably will be a market for a video game version of them as well.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Dawn already has a writer and director. Carl Ellsworth will write the script and Dan Bradley will direct.

There is a rumor of who will direct Robocop but the name Ecapes me now...

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will remake Red Sonja as well, with Rose Macgowan and Grindhouse director Robert Rodriguez. They can only imrove on the original,so that's a plus. Note to Hollywood, remake bad movies and leave the good movies alone.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We didn't have MTV in Canada, we had Muchmusic, the playlist was very similar to the US, but there were other stuff we were exposed to. The most popular canadian bands were the aforementioned Platinum Blonde, Loverboys, Glass Tiger, Men without Hats, Honeymoon Suite, Northern Pikes, Chalk Circle.

http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=AJR8lkE5fQo

-Here is another gem, I love this song, it has that kind of Men at Work quality of some of their darker songs.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=092xX85roR4

-Hands down one of the greatest 80's canadian videos by one of the best bands of that decade. The U2-like guitar intro still gives me chills, they had a a lot of other popular songs, but IMO they never did anything as good as this. This band was my first concert as well.

jdogyeah
Rewind Curious
Member # 7159

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jdogyeah   Email jdogyeah   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with 'Goresnet' and 'StevenHW'. This ones a money maker for shure. F u c k Hollywood!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home