iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » AMC "Trapped in the 80's" Monday Nights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AMC "Trapped in the 80's" Monday Nights
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this but AMC has something called Trapped in the 80's every Monday night. Tonight they are showing Blue Lagoon and Look Who's Talking. I thought it would be pretty cool to put updates on here every week of each movie and then discuss them.

I'm currently watching Blue Lagoon. I've never seen this movie and jumped in half way. It seems very interesting so far. Could be a little cheesy at times but hey, that's why we love so many of these 80's movies.

I missed look who's talking but that was one of my favorites back when I was younger. It comes on again but I will be hitting the bed pretty soon.

I'm excited to tune in to this every monday. Let me know if others have interest in this.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question on Blue Lagoon. At the end were they dead? I know the guy says they are sleeping but does that mean they are going to die? Kind of got lost there.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they were just sleeping after eating what they all thought were posion berries. No worries...

I think a good sequel would have been to see how they adjust in society after growing up alone on an island...that would make for good cinema.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Fewwwww. I thought it was a sad ending. Good to hear they are live and well. Ha. Yeah that would have been a good sequel. Well I can't wait to find out whats on next week.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched this last night too. i saw look who's talking and the beginning of blue lagoon. i had no idea it was an 80s monday night thing! everytime a commercial came on i walked away, but i was wondering why i kept hearing them play the duran duran song? haha

thanks for the info gordongecko!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
No problem. I look forward to tuning in next week to see what we got. I'll try to post something here when I can find out on my guide.
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Ok, it was up now and I see we have Christine and Firestarter. I have never seen Christine but has a great review on here so I'm excited to take that in. Firestarter I have seen but not since I was a little kid. I know I liked it but don't remember it, so I'm looking forward to bringing back some memories. Must be a thriller night!
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
christine is great [Smile]
i haven't seen firestarter since i was little as well. i think i'll tune in next monday for these two!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know how excited I was to see they had a Monday night 80s Night? I was watching MILLION DOLLAR BABY on there last night and when the commercial was on I was so excited. They were like "TOMORROW- CHRISTINE AND FIRESTARTER" and I went "Yessssssssssss!" out loud and pumped my fist in the air.
The funny thing about this is: I OWN CHRISTINE on DVD and I have never really been a big fan of FIRESTARTER! (Although me and a friend DID see it ina theater when it played, and we were like "I cant believe they let two little kids like us into a Stephen king movie!"

Oooooooooooohhh....I cant wait to see what other goodies they'll have for us in the next few upcoming Mondays!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Yeah I didn't get a chance to see the movies last night. I will try to keep up with whats on each week. If anyone else sees what's upcoming let me know.
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Christine on the 80's Monday Night. For anyone who liked it, rent the DVD! They cut that movie up so bad and filled it with so many commercials it was ridiculous! I thought to myself, if anyone is watching this for the first time, they are probably wondering what is happening.

The Blue Lagoon didn't seem to be as cut up. They obviously cut out the nudity, but the story was easier to follow at least if you hadn't seen it before. BTW, they made a sequel to Blue Lagoon and they do end up being dead, but the baby survives. Then he and the little baby girl that just happens to be on the rescue boat end up back on the same island the boy's parents were on and they grow up together on the island. Milla Jovovich plays the young girl grown up.

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats the only reason I cant watch stuff like this on TV anymore.....the damn commercials.

Feel like the old guy at the end of The Lost Boys..."Thats the trouble with Santa Clara...all the Damn Commercials.."

Christine is actually a very under-appreciated movie, John Carpenter's creepy synth score and directing style is well used in this movie. However the guy who plays the lead was just wrong from the beginning, mostly because as a dorky nerd he excelled. But as a tough guy with attitude....he was laughably bad [Smile]

Firestarter is one of those great guilty pleasures....seeing guys set on fire, flying into trees, exploding fireballs. Basically that movie you watch to get to the last 15 minutes of film.

George C. Scott in probably the most "WTF!?" role of his entire career. "THIS GUY played PATTON!?"

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aruba4me
Senior Rewinder
Member # 6258

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aruba4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HeadRusch,

I know what you mean about the guy playing a great nerd in Christine, but when he gets "cool" I just didn't believe it. The other thing that always got me about that movie is the bully guy Buddy Reperton. What was his deal picking on the little nerd guy all the time? Did you take a look at his friends? The big fat one and the guy who works at the gas station were total nerds! And doesn't Buddy look like he's about 20 years older than all the other students in that school?!? Shouldn't they have just passed him 10 years earlier to finally get him out of high school?

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the Blue Lagoon. I never get sick of that movie. Even though it did have tons of nudity in it...it never had a sleazey feel to it...it always seemed totally romantic.

I like Christine too...I remember a group of my friends and I rented it (back in the 80's), and watched it at my grandparents house....I thought the language was really bad...that's one of the main things I could remember from it, was how embarrassed I was because my grandparents heard the stuff they were saying.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aruba4me:
HeadRusch,

I know what you mean about the guy playing a great nerd in Christine, but when he gets "cool" I just didn't believe it. The other thing that always got me about that movie is the bully guy Buddy Reperton. What was his deal picking on the little nerd guy all the time? Did you take a look at his friends? The big fat one and the guy who works at the gas station were total nerds! And doesn't Buddy look like he's about 20 years older than all the other students in that school?!? Shouldn't they have just passed him 10 years earlier to finally get him out of high school?

Is it just me, or did the bully look like John Travolta's brother? Really.

The thing about the "nerd" was, he was a nerd without Christine. Christine gave him his feeling of power. It possessed him and made him feel powerful, but without Christine, he was just well, a nerd... Do you know what I mean?

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home