iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's remake vs. 80's sequel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's remake vs. 80's sequel
summerbeach1980
Rewinder
Member # 2066

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for summerbeach1980   Email summerbeach1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's worse,
the remake of an 80's classic or the sequel to an 80's classic made a decade or two after the original?

Posts: 37 | From: ct | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A remake definitely. I don't mind sequels at all but remakes just irk me and are 95% of the time trash.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remakes
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remake, of course.

9 times out of 10 they are intolerably bad...occasionally they "differ" enough from the original that they can exist on their own merits (the remake of Dawn of the Dead comes to mind).

Mostly I just hate the trend that takes existing movies and remakes them with prettier, younger stars to suit "Todays audience".

Movies dont mean as much to me when the "old guy" looks barely out of his 20's and I'm supposed to believe that the vacant, brain-dead prettyboys and girls onscreen are supposed to be either brilliant scientists, karate commandos, or action heroes. [Razz]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sequels by far!

Give me Batman Begins over Lost Boys 2 anyday!!!!

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are both as bad but if i had to pick one it would have to be REMAKES
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I hate remakes. A lot.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remakes Suck !!
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I love about these forums...people with opinions that are able to articulate them ai a well-thought out, provocative statement that considers both sides of the argument...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NOMS but my own:
This is what I love about these forums...people with opinions that are able to articulate them ai a well-thought out, provocative statement that considers both sides of the argument...

Noms [Cool]

Exactly... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

p.s. remakes are usually worse but not always...

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
megleesweetpea
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 6758

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for megleesweetpea   Email megleesweetpea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
remakes usually bother me but that is just my opinion. like personally i have no urge to watch the new halloween movie based on what friends have told me about it.
Posts: 11 | From: michigan | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigawatt?

Member # 4796

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Gigawatt?   Email Gigawatt?   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hewzy:
Remakes Suck !!

quote:
This is what I love about these forums...people with opinions that are able to articulate them in a well-thought out, provocative statement that considers both sides of the argument...

Noms [Cool]

Hmmm. In that case . . .

Given that a sequel can only be considered worthy of merit if it sustains the essential qualities which made the original film / films enjoyable without merely repeating the same forumula, and that a remake can only justify its existence by adding something new to the original work, perhaps by repositioning the story within a contemporary political context in order to provide an alternative allegorical meaning which was not present in the original . . . given those things I'd say that REMAKES SUCK!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate remakes of all kinds! Not crazy about late coming sequels either. But remakes really chaps my nads! The only remake ever, that I liked better than the original was ASSAULT ON PRECINT 13!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't hate all remakes but the marjority of them usually aren't as good as the originals.

p.s. i loved rob zombie's halloween. and i am a huge fan of john carpenter's version, but zombie's piece was awesome, IMO.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least with sequels you have a chance to see some of the same people. Not the case in remakes which 9 out of 10 times aren't the best. Maybe unless it is several years after the fact. For example: Sabrina with Harrison Ford.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sequels by far!

Give me Batman Begins over Lost Boys 2 anyday!!!!

Noms [Cool]

Batman Begins was a prequel...I thought?
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am okay with sequels....remakes no! God help me if they ever do make a remake to the Goonies...say it isn't so!
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion remakes often spoil everything about the original films we feel in love with, losing the magic of the originals and sequels are 99% of the time only made so movie executives/companys can cash in on the success of the original films.

So to finish they are in some ways as bad as each other.

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home