iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Where the boys are

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where the boys are
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody here who´s seen the 84´ version of the movie "Where the boys are"?. Just wanted to ask if it´s good or even watchable.
The finnish vhs version of this movie is on sale here in Finland and i wonder if i should buy it.
I love 80´s beach/vacation films but the rating is awfully low in the IMDB (what do they know anyway [Smile] ).

Thanks for the info!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buy it!

I really like this one and all I have is it taped off tv on an old vhs, Especially if you like 80's beach /vacation movies haha.....it's all about the t and a.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's better than I thought it would be, it's a pretty fun, anything goes kind of summer cacation movie. To think that this hasn't made DVD yet, when some real turkeys got DVD treatment.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't seen the remake? i sure love the original, though. i think i will check out the 80s version [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, i got the tape and it´s a good film.
Just like Spring Break but from women´s perspective this time.

Some good songs in the soundtrack too!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since I watched this yesterday...I'm wondering Atomik do you have a cool different Finnish VHS cover??

I just bought SpringBreak a few months ago and maybe I should watch it now it put a "Male" springbreak movie in my mix [Smile] I've never seen it.

Ronnie did you ever see it?

Sure would like a guy to write a song for me and sing it wearing a striped shirt and white jacket......"Jennie.....won't you make your mind up"
Perfect cheese!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8OpfhSzFw

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ha, one of my very first posts this one [Cool]

Muffy, it is a Peter Beckett tune "Jenny"
He was the lead singer and guitarist from the band Player
and did lots of soundtrack stuff:
St. Elmo's Fire, The Karate Kid, Body Slam etc.

I like his 1991 cd "Beckett".

-

Here´s the Finnish VHS cover art for Where the Boys Are ´84.

-

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Ronnie did you ever see it?

completely forgot about it haha. but i added it to a list i have of stuff to get my hands on. i know HBO has aired it from time to time, but i always missed it.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom is a huge fan of the 1960 original "Where The Boys Are".. so it is only natural that I was compelled to check out the 1984 remake. Also, my college springbreaks were mainly trips to Florida, plus my brother has lived in Ft. Lauderdale for years.. so I enjoy visiting.

My interest in this movie is Lisa Hartman, I remember following her career from a short lived tv show "Tabitha" which was about the little girl from "Bewitched" all grown up. Then came this movie and a stint on "Knots Landing".. but my fav Lisa Hartman flick is call "Bodily Harm" from 1990. If you enjoy the movie "Malice" .. you should definitely check it out.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i looked for it on netflix, and they don't have it, at least not yet. i own the original. it's great movie to watch in the spring.

i love spring break romantic movies. another good one is palm springs weekend starring troy donahue and connie stevens. [Smile]

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lynn Holly Johnson, :swoon:, I'll be her Conan any day.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Where the 80s lovers are!

Time to bump this thread because Where the Boys Are´84 is indeed released on dvd.
BTW, this thread was the first i posted here back in 08 [Smile]

I´m gonnna watch this great movie again soon and highly recommend it. Get the dvd guys!

Where the Boys Are ´84 trailer

Just found this alternate UK betamax cover art:

-

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomik.. so awesome that this thread was one of your first postings on the Rewind. Congrats on 4 years of fantastic contributions!

-

-

Hey Ronnie .. how cool would a "Where The Boys Are" double feature movie night be? [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Way cool now that I have both movies in hand. I received my copy of Where The Boys Are 84, the other day. Looking forward to seeing it! [Smile]
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 14 when this movie came out. My 15 year old friend and I went to the local movie theater one saturday night to see it. My friend told me not to worry about not being 17 to see it since it was R rated, that small theaters like this didn't care. So we get there and we get this old(she was probably only in her 30's) woman who looked at us and laughed and said one of us better have id. Obviously, we didn't. My friends mother dropped us off so we were stuck there. So we very reluctantly decided to see the only other movie playing there, Hard To Hold, starring Rick Springfield. It was only us and another couple in the theater. After that crapfest of a movie ended we were waiting outside for our ride and WTBA84's crowd was coming out and it was packed and everyone was smiling and laughing. Truly was one of the worst nights of my life. And I've still never seen this movie.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
xchaz.. that was a great story though it is a sad memory for you. And the fact you had to watch "Hard To Hold" that night is almost tragic! Why couldn't it have been an 80's classic instead?
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
xchaz.. that was a great story
It was a great story wasn't it Val? And that's just what it was... a *story*... a *fantasy*... a tangled web of lies we were all supposed to be sucked into. Thank god some of us could see through this deception. How do I know this? His story had one gigantic flaw...

quote:
So we very reluctantly decided to see the only other movie playing there, Hard To Hold, starring Rick Springfield. It was only us and another couple in the theater. After that crapfest of a movie ended...
Ha! It all sounds so casual doesn't? Sooooooo plausible... except for one thing... anyone who knows *anything* knows that 'Hard to Hold' is the cinematic equivalent of a solid two hour orgasm!

I put it to you 'xchazx' (if that is your real name!) that although you went to see a film (oh yes - that part was true enough - all good fabrications must have some facts) that the film you truly wanted to see was none other than... 'Hard to Hold'! Yes! And because it was sold out due to Rick Springfield's massive fan base you had to watch 'Where the Boys Are' instead, and you've harbored a deep resentment ever since! 25 years later and you suddenly found a chance to right that old wrong - by recasting the situation with Hard to Hold as the trashy movie you saw right here on this very thread! Not only did you not get to see it then, but you have in fact *never* seen it! [Eek!] It was the perfect plan except for one thing... *ME*!!! Whaddya say to that 'xchazx'?! Or perhaps I should say... DOCTOR SINISTER!!!! [Eek!] [Mad] TAKE OFF THAT MASK AND SHOW YOUR TRUE FACE!!!! [Mad]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Omg Logan you're such a nut....a funny nut!

I just ordered WTBA 84......very excited that the dvd cover is just like the vhs and not a cheesy new one. I'm very excited to upgrade my vhs tv copy....wooo

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd forgotten I wrote this! Midnight madness...

I always like it when the DVD has the same cover as the VHS or the theatrical poster too. Seems... right.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
Seems... right.

Agreed!

Going to watch this soon too.....Ronnie you in?? who else?

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the full on spring break double feature...

Watch this and then Spring Break (83). Another fun, beach movie! I love 'em both!

-

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only viewed Where the Boys Are '84 once, for all I know, and I haven't watched the original.

I did like seeing it and I derived some laughs from it.

I have no idea if I would purchase a copy.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home