iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Here we go again...Best Song to Close a Movie (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Here we go again...Best Song to Close a Movie
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspired by the long running current topic, I figured I'd just look for the inverse and ask what the best closing song was. For me it would have to be Hugh Harris's "Rhythm of Life" (which I'd like to be the song played at my funeral when that day comes--hopefully much, much later than sooner) closing out Uncle Buck. It's the perfect reflection of the film itself; sweet and subtly triumphal, with a subtle message of how wonderful it is to find joy in life in the places you didn't expect, a classic Hughesian thought. Even better about it is how Hughes and the music editor (have to check the credits) break it up structurally with the moods of the final moments: the "choir of doorbells" from the opening when Cindy returns, the quick rise to the instrumental version when she and Tia embrace, the brief halt after Buck ruins the moment, then bringing the instrumental back in slowly at the beginning of the final scene, slowly bringing it more and more to the forefront as the scene winds down, and then switching to Harris's vocal tracks when the credits pop up. And you definitely walk out the theater door feeling much better because of it.

Yours?

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phatpants
Rewinder
Member # 5784

17 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for phatpants         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the best isn't so much a closing "song with lyrics" but more a haunting instrumental score. The music I'm referring to is the closing credits theme for the 1987 supernatural thriller The Gate. It's a very personal score to me (it fills me with exhilaration rather than dread) with it's ambient, Spielberg-esque tones...I really dig it. Great to listen to through headphones. Lol! Check it out here...

The Gate closing credits theme

Okay...so the visuals in this particular video aren't anything to do with the actual movie, but I'm just overjoyed at how good the music sounds. I haven't heard The Gate's closing theme sound this good...ever!

Posts: 42 | From: Encom Mainframe | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 17  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love 'IN THE CITY' at the end of The Warriors.

i would have loved it though if Ajax would have turned up at the end too !!!

Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a good one!

I also like the remake of I Cant Help Falling In Love With You at the end of SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL. Oooh..and If You Were Here at the end of 16 CANDLES.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hewzy:

Great song and an awesome flick. Definitely in my top 10 of all time.

But to answer the topic in this thread I have to go with "Slow Ride" by Foghat from Dazed and Confused.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anything, AQnything" by Buckcherry - from Road Trip

"After Midnight" by Fastway - From Trick or Treat

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some that stand out for me:

SKOW - Just Can't Help Falling In Love With You. Obvious one for me....

Secret Of My Success - not sure of the title, but it runs over the scene at the end of the movie when all is cool and the key characters are all filthy rich and happy.

Streets Of Fire - Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young. Epic track, and so in keeping with the feel of that part of the movie.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hands down Against All Odds by Phil Collins.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's That Girl by Madonna
Vision Quest - Only the Young by Journey
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Oh Yeah by Yello

Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I was thinking about this.

A) Does Only The Young count if it opens the movie too?

B) I love What it Takes by The Honeymoon Suite from One Crazy Summer for a closing. Not to mention With One Look at the end of Better Off Dead.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As soon as I saw the title I instantly thought of In The City. The Warriors rule.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thunder In Your Heart by John Farnham from RAD.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
quote:

As soon as I saw the title I instantly thought of In The City. The Warriors rule.
Warriors...come out to playay! Hilarious, love that movie.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fightertown
Master Rewinder
Member # 7418

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fightertown   Email Fightertown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real Genius

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
Performed by Tears for Fears

Posts: 230 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought cheer down on lethal weapon 2 was pretty good, though i dont know how it really fits the movie like what candy man said for uncle buck
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
A) Does Only The Young count if it opens the movie too?

Yes it does, making it one of the rare examples of a song that opens and closes a movie.
Posts: 4123 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by P.S. It's Paul....:
Secret Of My Success - not sure of the title, but it runs over the scene at the end of the movie when all is cool and the key characters are all filthy rich and happy.

Paul, I have checked and it is Sometimes The Good Guys Finish First and it is performed by Pat Benatar.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I not see this or has Breakfast Club, "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds not get put down. Maybe a little too commercial of a pick but that's the first one I thought of when I read the title.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon Parr - Restless Heart / Running Away With You fotm The Running Man
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zapped!

Ready Or Not by Plain Jane

Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pet Sematary - "Pet Semaraty" The Ramones

Better Off Dead - "With One Look" Rupert Hine

Tommy Boy - "I Love It Loud" (Injected Mix) Phunk Junkeez

Valley Girl - "Melt With You" Modern English

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Great thread. Let Your Love Flow(Bellamy Bros.)
from Little Darlings

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
Great thread. Let Your Love Flow(Bellamy Bros.)
from Little Darlings

Forgot about Only the Young Leo Logan. Nice.
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked "Just Because" by Ray Charles at the end of The Sure Thing.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Invincible was a pretty good one in
The Legend  - of Billie Jean

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home