iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Gate (1987)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Gate (1987)
phatpants
Rewinder
Member # 5784

17 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for phatpants         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE GATE (1987)

TAGLINE: Pray it's not too late!

GENRE: Horror/ Supernatural thriller

STARRING: Stephen Dorff, Louis Tripp, Christa Denton, Kelly Rowan, Jennifer Irwin, Scot Denton, Deborah Grover, Sean Fagan, Ingrid Veninger, Linda Goranson, Andrew Gunn and Carl Kraines

MUSIC: J. Peter Robinson and Michael Hoenig

WRITER: Michael Nankin

PRODUCERS: John Kemeny and Andras Hamori

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: John Kemeny

DIRECTOR: Tibor Takacs

RATED: PG-13

SYNOPSIS: Three young children (Dorff, Tripp, Denton) accidentally release a horde of nasty, pint-sized demons from a hole in a suburban backyard. What follows is a classic battle between good and evil as the three kids struggle to overcome a nightmarish hell that is now literally taking over the Earth.

DVD AVAILABLE: Yes

EXTRAS: Stephen Dorff/ Kelly Rowan bios. Theatrical trailer.

CD SOUNDTRACK: Avaliable but extremely rare.

PD's REVIEW: Oh, man...I had almost forgotten about this film...it's been so long since I've seen it (it's gotta be well over 15 years by now.) The Gate is what 80's 'B' grade horror is all about...heroic kids in way over their heads and going toe to toe with apocalyptic evil. It's so horror nostalgic it brings a tear of joy to my eye. Thankfully...the Gate's worthless first half is somewhat redeemed by some very impressive special effects in the second half and a terrific sense of atmosphere endures throughout. An old film to be sure (circa 1987) but it still holds up well and is worth a look. Of particular interest as Stephen Dorff's first film and one of the better creature features of the 1980's...but the thing that made this movie great was it's emphasis on subtle creepiness rather that just straight out shocks and gore...and whilst some of the acting, clothes and hairdos leave a lot to be desired (hey...we're talkin' the 80's here kids) it's so much darn FUN to watch...even today. Now don't get me wrong...this film is as cheezy as they come and all you 'Freddy vs. Jason' fed youngsters out there will probably think that it's lame...but for us 'gen Xers' this is cult- classic gold.

And, man...was Christa Denton's Alexandra HOT or WHAT?! Raaghrr!

RATING: *** out of *****

[ 25. January 2008, 00:36: Message edited by: phatpants ]

Posts: 42 | From: Encom Mainframe | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 17  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
james Andrews
Master Rewinder
Member # 1425

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for james Andrews   Email james Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoy this film also, but disliked it at first because of it's low budget. After a few viewings though it became one of my favourites. I have the sequel also, which includes Terry, but I prefer the first. Alexandra was very pretty, I wish I had a sister like that.
One of the things I like about the two kids is that I can imagine them being friends with me (I'm not Mr.Popular ha!ha!) which I don't feel with a lot of kids especially from films of today.
Some cool lines from Glen (Stephen Dorff) such as "Suck my nose 'til my head caves in!".
[img] shopping.yahoo.com/video/images/muze/dvd/sm/82/203482.jpg [/img]  -

Posts: 168 | From: Bedfont, England | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice review Phat. I agree completely [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home