iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Who's Harry Crumb?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's Harry Crumb?
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who likes this one? While the plot is rather thin and the titular character is really just an American Clouseau when you think about it, it's always a thrill watching Candy at full strength making a lesser script great. I'd rate the runaway car scene ("...we're both traveling through life...IN A CAR WITH NO BRAKES!!!"), his high-speed flight through the air ducts, and his destruction of Jeffrey Jones's office and prized pteradactyl egg (what a pairing, the compassionate Candy with the depraved Jones) among his best moments. Not to mention that his disguises are entertaining, especially the last one (he always did drag the best of his generation).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love John Candy movies. When I first watched this one, I didn't care much for it. But I watched it again a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I wonder, if he were alive today, if he would still be making funny movies?
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love some John Candy movies more than others. This one ranks a lot higher than Wagons East but not as high as say Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It's still a very funny movie and it has a great cast.

I think comedic actors have a shelf life. Look at Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd; In my opinion they haven't been funny in about a decade. I hate to say that because I love those guys. To me everything they did in the 80s was gold. But still there's no denying that moviegoers get tired of an actor's shtick after a while and then move on to the next new comedian who's hot. In another year or two Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler will be on their way out the door...if they're not already.

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also the age factor to take into account; Hollywood almost always runs away from people over 50, especially comedians. Thus, it's quite sad for me to see the people I idolized being treated today like complete nobodys by the establishment--or as tools to be used to better a "hipper" young star who clearly has no talent at all. But it doesn't diminish what they did do when they did rule the world.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this one. I love all of the disguises that he wears. I wonder what he would have become if he would have lived?? We will never know but we can always go back and watch his work and laugh. Great fun, I even got my nephews addicted to Harry Crumb.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home