iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Looking for movies like Friday the 13th

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for movies like Friday the 13th
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm a huge fan of some of the Friday the 13th movies and was wondering what other 80's slasher films would be good to watch/buy. I believe sleepaway camp might be one of those and right now they have a box set of all 3. Was wondering what thoughts were on the third one. Thanks!
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the SLEEPAWAY CAMP movies but then again, I have a warped sense of humor.
Slasher flicks, huh? How 'bout THE BURNING?
HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE ?
PIECES?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gordongecko,

Okay the first thing I want to say here is don't buy the Sleepaway Camp boxset. I made that mistake last year. I have since sold it on Ebay. The first one is the only one that was good and remotely on par with Friday the 13th. As for other slasher suggestions let me think...I myself became a slasher fan like 3 or 4 years ago and sought out the same kinds of movies you're looking for. These are some of the better one's I've found.

Prom Night 1 & 2
The House on Sorrority Row
Graduation Day
Slumber Party Massacre
Happy Birthday To Me
My Bloody Valentine

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cindy, you actually spent money on the Sleepaway Camp Boxset???? It's almost as bad as when I got the toxic avenger box set for christmas.

Milk was a bad choice.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, Milk was a bad choice. I just saw the boxset for $20 so I thought it couldn't be too bad of decision. I had heard that two was the best of the 3. Anyway, I will look into these other movies. I'm a huge fan of the first probably 5 Friday the 13th movies and also some of the early Halloween movies. Anyway, thanks for your help, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxwellhauser
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4968

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maxwellhauser   Email maxwellhauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll mention the one horror series that gets better each movie:

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

For completely twisted and offensive - there is always Silent Night, Deadly Night - serial killer in a Santa Clause suit, banned in many cities

By the way, most people hated Friday the 13th part V, but it is my favorite, also because it is so twisted. In most horror movies, teens are getting butchered by the psycho. But Part V goes an extra step - the victims are mentally retarded teens!

Posts: 57 | From: Katy, TX | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maxwellhauser:

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

For completely twisted and offensive - there is always Silent Night, Deadly Night - serial killer in a Santa Clause suit, banned in many cities

By the way, most people hated Friday the 13th part V, but it is my favorite, also because it is so twisted. In most horror movies, teens are getting butchered by the psycho. But Part V goes an extra step - the victims are mentally retarded teens!

I got it from Amazon...Silent Night Deadly Night 1 on one side and part 2 on the other side. I didn't think they were any more offensive than any other horror movie, but I do remember an uproar about them.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
traycee
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5017

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for traycee   Email traycee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"April Fools Day" was pretty decent, "Mad Man" and "The Beast Within" were pretty strange!
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maxwellhauser:

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Amen to you maxwellhauser! Up to now these 3 series of 'Evil Dead' is the BEST one for me. I can still smell the fear on 1 & 2 and the originality of the plot in ' The Army of Darkness'. The later one was not scary at all. It was funny [Big Grin] Can you still remember the Magic word given by Merlin for the protagonist to be able to open the book??? I would be delighted if you can tell me. [Cool]
Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Klaatu barada nikto" opens the book of the dead.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JCWBobC:
"Klaatu barada nikto"

that phrase originated in the 50s SciFi film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" it was uttered to stop the alien robot Gort from destroying the Earth.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
Ha, Milk was a bad choice. I just saw the boxset for $20 so I thought it couldn't be too bad of decision. I had heard that two was the best of the 3. Anyway, I will look into these other movies. I'm a huge fan of the first probably 5 Friday the 13th movies and also some of the early Halloween movies. Anyway, thanks for your help, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I love horror movies, but because I collect & watch horror movies too much I can't think of their titles anymore. I can recommend if you like 'The Others' by Nicole Kidman you might like 'The Haunting'. Another one which is not really in the 80's, but is a true story is 'Rose Red'. I even bought a book in relation to this house that grows bigger & bigger everytime it eats human soul. They said it's somewhere in Canada.
Also, if you want 'true to life' death why not buy the 4 DVD collection of 'Faces of Death'. It was banned but you can still buy it. I have my copy. Warning: Not for faint hearted.Enjoy. [Cool]

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
quote:
"Klaatu barada nikto" opens the book of the dead.

Spot on! What can I say... It did made my day. [Big Grin] or else I'll stay up until morning thinking about it. You are cool!
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by The Exorcism of Sammy Hain:
quote:
"Klaatu barada nikto"

that phrase originated in the 50s SciFi film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" it was uttered to stop the alien robot Gort from destroying the Earth.
[Cool] Awesome! I can't believe that quote existed in another movie before that.Excellent memory. [Smile]
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's actually been referenced numerous times in the movies

CHECK IT OUT HERE

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by The Exorcism of Sammy Hain:
It's actually been referenced numerous times in the movies

CHECK IT OUT HERE

[Smile] Many Thanks mate! Great site
maxwellhauser
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4968

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maxwellhauser   Email maxwellhauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes love reading the Weekly World News (usually when I am in line at the grocery store). About 10 years ago or so, WWN ran a story about space aliens actually running the US Govt. Most congressmen and senators they called said "no comment", but Sen. Alan Simpson told them "Klaatu, Barada Nicto".

Klaatu is also the name of a Canadian band once believed to be the Beatles recording anonymously post-breakup.

By the way, The Day the Earth Stood Still is perhaps the greatest sci-fi movie ever made. Once, for sheer lunacy, I watched it and Plan 9 back-to-back. It was a surreal experience.

Posts: 57 | From: Katy, TX | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insane8veggies
Rewind Curious
Member # 5023

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for insane8veggies   Email insane8veggies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by firefox:
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:

I love horror movies, but because I collect & watch horror movies too much I can't think of their titles anymore. I can recommend if you like 'The Others' by Nicole Kidman you might like 'The Haunting'. Another one which is not really in the 80's, but is a true story is 'Rose Red'. I even bought a book in relation to this house that grows bigger & bigger everytime it eats human soul. They said it's somewhere in Canada.
Also, if you want 'true to life' death why not buy the 4 DVD collection of 'Faces of Death'. It was banned but you can still buy it. I have my copy. Warning: Not for faint hearted.Enjoy. [Cool]

wow, you actually thought that rose red was real? stephen king wrote it, he admited it, the house was based on the winchester mystery house in california.
Posts: 6 | From: Bates Motel | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my Parents' video shop we had tons of Horror flicks. I recall one of Italian origin that was a little like Friday the 13th called TORSO - it may have a different title as well.
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home