iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite writeups on this site?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite writeups on this site?
XBoxNow
Rewind Curious
Member # 568

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for XBoxNow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey peeps,

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what some of you guys's favorite writeups on this site are (which writeups are well written, with great info, trivia, soundtrack details, etc). In other words, who are some of your favorite writers for this site?

Some of my favorites are The Terminator written up by Nick, View To A Kill written up by Kimberly Wren; Akira written up by Kashif Ahmad; and Earth Girls Are Easy, Moonwalker,Who's That Girl,and Electric Boogaloo all written by Bridgette Marie.

These are just a few of my favorite writeups. There are some really talented writers on this website.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While all are great, I particularly like the write-ups for:

"Back To The Future"
"Blade Runner"
"The Blues Brothers"
"Earth Girls Are Easy"
"Legend Of Billie Jean"
"The Little Mermaid"
"Mannequin"
"Poltergeist"
"Repo Man"
"Trading Places"
"Victor/Victoria"

Of the summaries I've written, I'm proudest of my write-ups for "Lethal Weapon" and "Stop Making Sense".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...the Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
XBoxNow
Rewind Curious
Member # 568

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for XBoxNow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

yes John, those are great writeups, I agree. But who wrote all of those pages? That's the main thing I was wondering, who everybodies favorite writers are. I tried to give credit to some of my favorite writers, even though I'm sure I missed a few.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello,great topic

It's great to hear people talking about the writers and understanding that those pages don't just magically appear on this website.

Thank you Xbox and Rocksteady for including me as one of your favorite writers. I wrote Earth Girls, Little Mermaid, and the ones that xbox mentioned as well. Personally, I pride myself on finding as much trivia as I can for each site,particularily on the Madonna and Drew Barrymore pages that I've done. It takes more than a great writeup to make the mini site great, so I work on finding great trivia, links, soundtrack info, etc to make it a very interesting read for the viewers. I'm pretty proud of my "Desperately Seeking Susan" minisite, especially as far as the trivia was concerned. I did a lot of research on that one.

My favorite writers on the site are the "official" writers for this site, i.e. the people whose names are listed on this site as the inside staff. I feel they're (including me) contribute the most time to this site and help to make it really wonderful.

Purple Rain is probably one of my favorite mini sites that I've written just because it was the first of many many sites that I have written for this website.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bridgette, I found one piece of info I tried to add to one of your recent reviews, The Last Unicorn, I found that there is a DVD relase of it in Germany called "Das letzte Einhorn", only I think Nick had a busy day and misfiled it under The Last Starfighter (take a look at that entry).

I don't have any favourite reviews or reviewers yet as I'm fairly new to this site.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello wizard,

Thanks for turning in the info, however I did mention the German version of TLU in the soundtrack section of that page. In fact, the soundtrack is only available as a German import.So that's probably why he didn't include it, but thank you anyways =)

Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy reading the sites too. The work is well done on the majority of them. Some are a little weak, but that's ok. It's better than nothing...

Nothing like tooting your own horn, huh Bridgette. ;)

Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I guess I should have read deeper, there are others here that toot thier own horn too! :)
Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
XBoxNow
Rewind Curious
Member # 568

Rate Member
hi wizard, maybe you should tell Nick to remove the trvia he put on that other site.

Who's Janette? I've never heard of her. Probably noone important.

Oh yeah Bridgette, I just read your Elephant Man page, it's good, that's a great movie.

Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
Janette...yeah she's a real nobody. If that makes you feel better.
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
hey Marty, there's gonna be a sequel to Goonies for sure? Yay!! I'm really looking forward to it. Great trivia on your Goonies page. =-)

hehe Xbox, you're a feisty one. But hey, as long as you only keep it towards people who try to make cheap shots, it's fine with me ;)

and John, I really like your page for Spaceballs, you're a great writer. =-)

Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
I'm by no means trying to make a cheap shot. I really enjoy this site and come to it quite often, as you can tell. I just get a little bored with the same people talking about the same person and how wonderful they are. I think Bridgette's writing is wonderful. Keep up the nice work, but continuing to let people know that you've written all these pages is getting a little boring.
flowerpurple
Rewind Curious
Member # 774

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for flowerpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone,

my first post here! Most of my favorite writers have posted up here on this topic, except for whoever write E.T., I love that movie! RockSteady and Bridgette Marie, you're both awesome 80's writers!! I love this site!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I've been interested in reading this thread, and I've eben and re-read a lot of the reviews mentioned (even my own!) and the one thing that I see here is this: the real worth of this site, the thing that sets it apart from most of the other sites you visit, is that there is such a range of authors and writing styles here. Most sites are written by one or two people, and the style has to be consistent with the views and preferences of the main editor. Nick has taken a different view, and it's one we all obviously appreciate. My reviews are distinctly different from Nicks in content and writing style, and Nicks are different from Bridgettes. Everyone who contributes a review to this site has the opportunity to expres their feelings about the movie in their own words and style, and you can see a huge variety of language, approach, humour and detail from one page to the next. As examples, try reading one of my pages (for example Willow or Some Kind Of Wonderful) and then looking at one of Bridgettes (try Earth Girls Are Easy). Both fed in through the submission nterface, both with the same information and sections, but distinctly different (and hopefully you all find both as informative and entertaining as the other). That's why this site is the best 80s Movie site on the web, and long may it continue!!!
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul's right. The magical thing is that different, real people are contributing here.

This is not a corporation with the eye on the dollar. Have you ever noticed that write-ups in movie magazines of 80's movies make you wonder whether the person has ever even seen the movie?

The magic here is that different people love different movies and so write about them.

People used to write to me all the time and say things like "Movie xxxx is a bunch of crap --how can you give it 9.3??? Are you lame or what?"

Thanks to the power of all those different people writing movie pages AND writing here on these boards, people just don't bother any more writing in to tell us we're lame. You can't argue with 14 million people (last moth) and say that they are lame.

Everyone is welcome here. There is no elite. There sure are some people who work darn hard to make this place what it is and Bridgette rightly gets recognition for her tireless effort. She doesn't get paid, she doesn't get trips to Hollywood junkets. She just works hard for the good of everybody.

Same with Paul, John, Kimmy, Kashif, Marty, Simon and others.

The same goes for many other unsung (or 'less sung'!) heroes of this site. Not everyone wants to contribute a movie page. We understand that. Many of them appear on the pages as regular contributors or on these boards. They contribute 15 pieces of trivia or messages per session, typing it all in for no other reason but their love of the movies and a desire to share.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have nothing but the greatest respect for each and every one of you. Writer, trivia contributor, locations scout or contributor to these messageboards. We've got a real nice little community going here. People are starting to notice. Let's please not argue about petty stuff. So many online communites just degenrate into heated argument and derision.

We know these movies are great. We don't care if they are not fashionable -and the fact that so many people are here feeling the same way is having an effect on the perception of these films in the mainstream media. Suddenly they are not slagging off the movies so violently. I've seen writers recently in major movie magazines 'borrowing' the points made on this site for their movie reviews in national magazines.

Everyone who makes a point here will be read by literally millions, many of whom will never make the effort to contribute a damn thing to this site (so you never know they were here). Those of you who do bother to writeor contribute --even just a point on these boards-- are all cool with us. One and all...

-Just my $0.02, Nick.

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
OConner880
Master Rewinder
Member # 415

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for OConner880   Email OConner880   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im gettin the hell off this site. This isnt even about movies or music anymore its about a few really, REALLY weird people flirting and pretending that this is some gift to humanity. This reminds me of grade school when all the girls used to play make-believe custody battle of a Barbie Doll. Shame, this used to be interesting.
Posts: 186 | From: Saint James, NY, USA | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, right. Thanks for that wisdom. That helps.
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick I think you said it all in your post. I agree that everyone who contributes works extremely hard but they do get rewarded. For every page that is written, is another forgotten movie that is somebody's favourite! Most movie sites have forgotten about hundreds of films that are honored here! Fans who may have come across this site while searching for an old movie will be delighted to see the details, trivia and content of these pages. They might also come across a film they haven't seen in years and forgot existed. The official writers do a WONDERFUL job and the contributors deserve a pat on the back for helping this site to grow even faster. I'm glad that I have been part of this even though my contributions have been small( a page or two here and there). But I love this site and I love this community. We got something great here and any old 80's fan can be a part of it! That's what sets this apart from any other fan site because this truly is for the fans! Well done everyone! :)
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Geeahne
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 203

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Geeahne   Email Geeahne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, this is the greatest site eva (for those who love the eighties)!!!

And what I love in this site is the KARATE KID page which features everything about it. but what i love the most in that section is the LOCATIONS because it locates the actual setting of the movie and it also compares the place ( 1984 to present) and I like that.

But i just want to suggest if they can feature the lives of the casts there. i mean i wish they could post what's happenning to the actors, especially to my one and only DANIEL-SAN and KUMIKO and ALI and JOHNNY and MIYAGI. I wish they are fine. :-D

Posts: 27 | From: Phillippines | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
It's great to hear all of these different responces, and yes everybody that has contributed to this site deserves recognition, because it really is a team effort, as is anything of this immense caliber =-).

I think what OConnor was forgetting was that this site IS about 80's movies and music, but instead of reading the ACTUAL site he was only paying attention to the message boards. Read the writeups OConnor, or better yet write up a writeup, then instead of feeling so angry you will feel pleased that you have actually contributed something worthwhile to your favorite decade. =-)

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My preferred reviews on the site are:

Angel
The Apple
Breaking All the Rules
Fade to Black
For Your Eyes Only
The Hollywood Knights
The Last Unicorn
The NeverEnding Story
Paperhouse
Revenge of the Nerds
Streets of Fire
UHF

Of my own contributions thus far, my pick is They Call Me Bruce.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home