iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Lethal Weapon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lethal Weapon
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched it again with my son, he thinks it is the best movie ever made. I knew it from beginning to end, so I knew when to edit it, but now he wants to see part 2, and I only remember pieces of it, plus I don't own it. I own part 3-but I hated when they paired up Riggs with a woman, I kind of thought it was cute in part 1 that Rianne had a crush on him...and he didn't have a girlfriend, he was just cool on his own. I liked that about him, I never liked him paired up with Renee Russo...I never liked her as an actress.

All of Danny Glover's family stayed the same through all 4 movies, which was cool. The actresses who played his wife Trish and his daughter Rianne, never really were in anything other than the Lethal Weapon movies, and I actually thought they both did really good acting jobs, especially Rianne in part 1.

What was weird, is when I looked up the cast on IMDB, the 3 guys that play the drug dealers, that Mel Gibson smacks in the faces like the 3 stooges...they all had a huge list of movies they had been in, they have all been in more movies than Mel and Danny have been.

It is funny that in Lethal Weapon and in Die Hard , they have some of the same cast members...Al Leong and Mary Ellen Trainor they were in both those movies. Mary Ellen Trainor plays the psychologist in all 4 Lethal Weapon movies- she was a reporter in Die Hard-and she's the mom in the Goonies.

Al Leong was a terrorist in Die Hard, and he played Endo in Lethal Weapon- the guy that zapped Mel with the electrical shock thing.
A friend of mine has actually met him.

I didn't realize that Lethal Weapon was 1987 and Die Hard was 1988. I had thought they were earlier in the 80's, like around 1985.

Danny Glover is suppose to be turning 50 in Part 1, but he actually was only 41. I had thought just by looking at him, he was in awesome physical shape-I figured he had to be alot younger than 50. But, Mel was only 31 when he did the first one, so I was actually shocked on that one, cause I would have guessed him to be about 35-38 in that movie. When I find out how old someone is, I think wow, cause Mel is 50 now, and I think he looks every bit his age. The last Lethal Weapon movie (part 4) was made in 1998. That was 8 years ago, so he would have only been in his early 40's, and I remember when I saw that movie at the Drive-In in 1998-I thought he was about 50 then. I definately liked him with the mullet hair better than the shorter hair.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny Glover is still in excellent shape. You should watch Missing in America to see what I mean. He still looks the same as he did 20 years ago.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of the franchise, so many classic scenes. I liked all four 'Lethal Weapon' movies and yes, Danny Glover is still a cool actor, last film I saw him in was 'Saw'.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lethal Weapon 2 is on tonight...it was on this afternoon too, and my son went nuts, cause he has been wanting to see it, and I don't own it (but will in a day-cause my friend is bringing me it when he comes to visit on Tuesday)....but it was on tv today...edited, which was cool, cause I couldn't remember it that well. But, my son left to go to the movies with my mom, so we didn't get to see it all, but he thinks I should stay up and watch it with him tonight at 12:30AM....I am going to try. The one part I totally forgot about, but I thought was funny, was where Danny Glover is stuck on the toilet with the bomb under it, and he tells Riggs to keep everything as quiet as possible, and 2 seconds later the whole place is covered with cops.

There are times though that Joe Pesci drives me completely crazy though with the OK,OK,OK stuff....

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I have a question about Lethal Weapon 2...Mel Gibson dislocates his shoulder a couple times in this movie to get out of a straight jacket, those scenes look pretty darn real, his shoulder looks like it really is hanging there like it was popped out of the joint...was that even slightly real, do you think he could do that, or was it just made to look like it really well???
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The edited versions as well as the theatrical versions do not serve these films any justice. The directors cut dvd of both 1 & 2 are quite nice with a few additional minutes of footage.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I watched Lethal Weapon 2 today...now I remember how bad I hated that girl that Mel Gibson hooks up with...I hate when they are doing their "love scene" and all the cops are getting killed, and here comes the helicopters to shoot up his trailor, and he's telling her to get dressed, and she's whining around like a big baby...and then he tells her to get out in the truck, and he'll meet her-and when he finally gets to the truck....she starts punching him in the arm, and says "you sh*t"...I thought...throw her back out....I edited it for my son to see it, and he even said...she can get killed, but I don't want the dog to get killed, and I said...me too...I thought they could have picked anyone else to hook him up with and I would have liked them better than her, she wasn't even cute either.

Aside from her being in it, I think part 2 was a really good sequel.

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Interesting thoughts but ISIS, Patsy Kensit not cute? You were so wrong back in 06 [Smile]

Oh yeah, i watched the first two Lethal Weapon movies yesterday.
It was the first time i saw the Director´s Cut editions.
I really liked the extra scenes.

The original is better and more violent. The VHS tape was cut 4 minutes 2 seconds here back in the day.
I can´t believe how stupid the law was here back then [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Anyway i thought that more people dies in the first one
but the body count is 26/33 in favor of the sequel.

I didn´t remember that Tom Atkins was in the first movie.
It´s a decent little role but not among his best.

These films are great examples how the 80s still rules and always will rule.
No stupid cgi shots that´ll make you laugh.
Only thing you will laugh at are the cool jokes and there´s lots of them.

The creator/writer Shane Black wanted to kill Riggs in the end of the second movie
but Warner Brothers disagreed so Black walked away.

These first two movies are easily the best of the series.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is classic 1980's and shows what happened when Hollywood focused on making a quality action film. Nowadays? Forget it.

What's not to like about this film? The cast, score, direction, plot, etc.., all combine to make this film something special.

Considering Glover was still relatively new in the movie scene, he gave a good performance. Just years earlier he was doing beer commercials.

Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home